Drug Testing Policy (psychadellics)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Magician99

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying for the Optometric HPSP right now. I really need to get information regarding drug testing policy, once you are in active duty.

My issue is that I've done LSD and mushrooms on several occasions. I'm not currently taking any drugs and I have no fear of a urinalysis test. However, LSD is something that can be detected for a matter of years with a spinal tap. Psilocybin, I believe, is similar. It is generally VERY uncommon for these tests to be performed.

However, if there's any chance of this disqualifying me at any point, it is something I would really need to consider. What if I went all the way through into active duty and got spinal tapped? Would this be possibly be a cause for dishonorable discharge? What a disaster that would be...

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks you

Members don't see this ad.

I have never seen an LP done for a drug screen in the 25 years I worked with the military.

We had an optometrist in our division that should have had an LP though... for Syphillis.

The guy spent most of his free time in various whorehouses downrange piss drunk. (and yes, I AM hating, the guy had a great gig )

I always do an LP anytime I sent a urine toxicology screen. I specifically ask for Psilocybin levels and automatically send results to the individual's commander. In fact, I've begun tapping asymptomatic people just to run all those former LSDers out of the military.

Seriously though, I think those shrooms made you paranoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying for the Optometric HPSP right now. I really need to get information regarding drug testing policy, once you are in active duty.

My issue is that I've done LSD and mushrooms on several occasions. I'm not currently taking any drugs and I have no fear of a urinalysis test. However, LSD is something that can be detected for a matter of years with a spinal tap. Psilocybin, I believe, is similar. It is generally VERY uncommon for these tests to be performed.

However, if there's any chance of this disqualifying me at any point, it is something I would really need to consider. What if I went all the way through into active duty and got spinal tapped? Would this be possibly be a cause for dishonorable discharge? What a disaster that would be...

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks you

I had a bad trip once... it lasted 5 years. Then I got discharged.

I'm not sure about how they test officers, but if it's anything like the enlisted - and I'm sure it is - then all you'll ever get is a urinalysis.

I had a bad trip once... it lasted 5 years. Then I got discharged.

I'm not sure about how they test officers, but if it's anything like the enlisted - and I'm sure it is - then all you'll ever get is a urinalysis.

yeah, they just do a urinalysis here and there. LOL, and you're definitley not the only person in the military with a distant history of doing drugs (you'll learn that pretty fast after getting to know some of the combat arms enlisted guys).

This is all what I would have assumed, but it's great to hear people confirming it (and mocking me). I was half figuring I'd get some responses like "if you did drugs then you don't love FREEDOM.", or something.

So, I just had another new development. I got a citation for public drinking a couple days ago. The cop assured me that it wouldn't go on my record in any way. I even asked if I should mention it on my military app and he said definitely not. He said just keep it quiet and don't worry about it.

I'm kind of reluctant to do it...
I don't think the military would care too much about drinking, but they might not appreciate me lying.

Not quite sure what to do

This is all what I would have assumed, but it's great to hear people confirming it (and mocking me). I was half figuring I'd get some responses like "if you did drugs then you don't love FREEDOM.", or something.

So, I just had another new development. I got a citation for public drinking a couple days ago. The cop assured me that it wouldn't go on my record in any way. I even asked if I should mention it on my military app and he said definitely not. He said just keep it quiet and don't worry about it.

I don't think the military would care too much about drinking, but they might not appreciate me lying.

1) Never complain and Never Explain.
2) It's always easier to ask forgiveness than permission

If you want to keep it on the DL, don't discuss it on a public forum where someone could reason out your identity. Good luck.

I don't know if HPSP contracts are done through recruiters, but if they are, then you could always as your recruiter. I know they're notorious for lying but the one thing you can bank on is the fact that they'll do anything to get you in. Ofcourse they don't care what happens afterwards.
My recruiter told me where to go and what to buy when it came to passing my piss test. I didn't need it, ofcourse. Which is good, because they piss test you again when you get to bootcamp. He didn't tell me that.

Personally, I don't think they'll ever know... unless you become some type of top secret optometrist...:D