Drexel real living expense estimate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Igor4sugry

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have received a living expense budget form Drexel for 08-09. I am trying to determine what the real # is b/c I feel that the # provided is high. I would greatly appreciate your comments.

breakdown:
Possible Additional Expenses
1,254.00 Books and Supplies
2,870.00 Transportation
15,000.00 Room and Board
3,710.00 Miscellaneous/Personal
2,600.00 Health Insurance Fees
25,434.00 TOTAL

[1] If you are an exicsting Drexel student, what have you actually spent on non-tuition costs? Has it been ~25k?

Members don't see this ad.

Your school's budget is a good place to start- is that where you got this from? I don't know Drexel's location within Philly, but 15K R&B may be a little conservative for a city of that size...

I have received a living expense budget form Drexel for 08-09. I am trying to determine what the real # is b/c I feel that the # provided is high. I would greatly appreciate your comments.

breakdown:
Possible Additional Expenses
1,254.00 Books and Supplies
2,870.00 Transportation
15,000.00 Room and Board
3,710.00 Miscellaneous/Personal
2,600.00 Health Insurance Fees
25,434.00 TOTAL

[1] If you are an exicsting Drexel student, what have you actually spent on non-tuition costs? Has it been ~25k?

Those can all vary greatly depending on your preference.

Books definitely depend on how many of the texts you want to buy. Yes there are required books but there are a number of students who do not buy them and instead to use others they have from undergrad, siblings, etc. or just use the copies that are on reserve from the library. If you are purchasing a new, "mandatory" laptop, that can contribute a lot to the supplies part of it.

For transportation, you don't need a car if you live within walking distance of campus and there is a shuttle that goes down to the hospital. There are a fair number of students that don't have cars.

Room and board again depend on your preference since Drexel doesn't have student housing near the medical campus. If you want to live alone, rent starts around $750-800 in the area. If you live with other people, it can be as low as $500-600.

The budget all depends on you.