Drexel Med Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hi pills! thanks for the link. are you set on drexel this coming year?

I'm about 80% sure I'll be coming to drexel in the fall. I'm thinking of living in the east falls area or maybe downtown area.

Anyone know of any well-recommended apartment complexes in east falls?

Also, are there grocery stores that are pretty accessible in the east falls region? I'm pretty sure I wont have a car for the first year, so I want to maximize convenience.

Members don't see this ad.

Similar boat-- they really sold me at the accepted students day.

I'm starting to look at rental properties in East Falls, preferably a 3-4 bedroom house to share, starting sometime during the first two weeks of July. I'm looking for the following:

Must have
-------------------
- <1mi from campus
- Washer/Dryer in unit
- Dishwasher
- Central Air or provided AC window units
- Major Appliances included
- Parking
- <$750/mo/person; preferably ~$500/mo/person

Preferably also
-------------------
- Small yard with direct sunlight & carte blanche to garden
- Gas Stove or New Electric
- Porch or Patio
- Electric Heat & Insulated Windows ($500 oil bill-- never again!)
- Covered place/shed for bikes
- Walking distance to public transit.
- Decent water pressure

Is anyone else interested in an arrangement like this and willing to join forces? I'm not a huge college-style partier but have been known to keep a well-stocked bar, I rarely play the banjo after hours, and I bake my own bread. Interested parties should shoot me an e-mail: benco[there's an at symbol right here]thewhitehat.com.

[edit] Should also mention I've got a cat allergy. Also, added public transit accessibility.

Last edited:
Similar boat-- they really sold me at the accepted students day.

I'm starting to look at rental properties in East Falls, preferably a 3-4 bedroom house to share, starting sometime during the first two weeks of July. I'm looking for the following:

Must have
-------------------
- <1mi from campus
- Washer/Dryer in unit
- Dishwasher
- Central Air or provided AC window units
- Major Appliances included
- Parking
- <$750/mo/person; preferably ~$500/mo/person

Preferably also
-------------------
- Small yard with direct sunlight & carte blanche to garden
- Gas Stove or New Electric
- Porch or Patio
- Electric Heat & Insulated Windows ($500 oil bill-- never again!)
- Covered place/shed for bikes
- Decent water pressure

Is anyone else interested in an arrangement like this and willing to join forces? I'm not a huge college-style partier but have been known to keep a well-stocked bar, I rarely play the banjo after hours, and I bake my own bread. Interested parties should shoot me an e-mail: benco[there's an at symbol right here]thewhitehat.com.

This sounds interesting. I was just accepted here recently.

I am looking for pretty much those same exact things in a rental property. My only addition would be that it be in reasonably close proximity to public transportation.

Let's see...
I bake my own bread as well
I ride a bike everywhere (go for longer rides on the weekends)
I play the guitar (rarely play after hours as well)
I like to cook
I like to keep a clean apartment, but I am not in any way anal about it
I have a cat - so if you're not into that... I guess I have to do some more looking around

Anyone that's interested should PM me.
Peace.

Members don't see this ad :)
Alas. Pets raise my dander allergy. Looks like we will be setting up two houses, both alike in dignity. Except mine will be full of asthmatics. You can still come over and play music, though.

I'm about 80% sure I'll be coming to drexel in the fall. I'm thinking of living in the east falls area or maybe downtown area.

Anyone know of any well-recommended apartment complexes in east falls?

Also, are there grocery stores that are pretty accessible in the east falls region? I'm pretty sure I wont have a car for the first year, so I want to maximize convenience.

Lack of nearby grocery stores is a downside to living in East Falls. There's nothing within walking distance. There's an Acme on Ridge and one on City Ave., but they're 2-3 miles away.

Can anyone give a brief synopsis of the second look day? I was bogged down with exams and unable to attend.

Thanks!

Can anyone give a brief synopsis of the second look day? I was bogged down with exams and unable to attend.

Thanks!

I also was not able to make it. Details would be appreciated!:)

Anyway, I'm interested in finding roommates. Logic, I PMed you my info.
Anyone else, please feel free to PM me!

First of all, to all those who got into medical school...congrats!!! Take a breath because it's about to get interesting. I am a member of the DUCOM class of 2012 and I wanted to offer my assistance to anyone who had questions on any topics from books to classes, etc.... Also, I have great ideas on where to live. So just ask! My email is [email protected]

Good luck and enjoy your summer!
Brian

Hey all,

Any housing questions give me a call....267-481-0901 or email me at [email protected]. I am a second year soon to be third. Oh and good luck!!

Brian

I was wondering if any current drexel students could chime in:

PIL has a block schedule but IFM does not? This may really affect my decision on which one to choose.

Also, regarding choosing one clinical campus of the three or four they offered us to stick with for all of our rotations, do you guys have any advice on what to do hear?

I mean, I don't know much about these sites, but I do know that I want to experience more than one site. What exactly is the purpose of just sticking to one?
How does it work if we don't choose this option?

Thanks.

Peace and peaches.

Quick rundown of the second look day:

• Continental Breakfast
  • Brief rundown of PIL/IFM curricula
  • Breakout Session: PIL group or IFM Session. I went to the PIL session and was pretty much sold on the program. Small groups, Socratic teaching, and whiteboards abound. Also, PIL students have access to the IFM lectures.
  • Seminars on student groups (lots of great-looking clinical volunteer organizations as well as some nice social orgs), finding housing (Some live nearby, some commute. PILs generally live closer to campus because they're required to be there more often [IFM perk: sit around and watch your lectures at home]), and campus safety.
  • Lunch: get to know the new classmates and pick the brains of current drexel students.
  • Financial aid seminar. E-mail me and I can send you the presentation slides. The main points were: 1) Fill out your FAFSA NOW; 2) Stafford & GradPLUS loans will have you covered; 3) The disbursements don't start until after the first day of classes, so you'll need to cover you housing (first, last, deposit) and other initial expenses on your own.
  • Body Worlds 2: like Body Worlds 1 except with a camel. OK, two camels.
  • Supper with one of the student orgs. Unsettling revelation that the campus coffee store closes in the afternoon. Luckily, the students formed a coop coffee cart. Crisis averted.

• Continental Breakfast
  • Brief rundown of PIL/IFM curricula
  • Breakout Session: PIL group or IFM Session. I went to the PIL session and was pretty much sold on the program. Small groups, Socratic teaching, and whiteboards abound. Also, PIL students have access to the IFM lectures.
  • Seminars on student groups (lots of great-looking clinical volunteer organizations as well as some nice social orgs), finding housing (Some live nearby, some commute. PILs generally live closer to campus because they're required to be there more often [IFM perk: sit around and watch your lectures at home]), and campus safety.
  • Lunch: get to know the new classmates and pick the brains of current drexel students.
  • Financial aid seminar. E-mail me and I can send you the presentation slides. The main points were: 1) Fill out your FAFSA NOW; 2) Stafford & GradPLUS loans will have you covered; 3) The disbursements don't start until after the first day of classes, so you'll need to cover you housing (first, last, deposit) and other initial expenses on your own.
  • Body Worlds 2: like Body Worlds 1 except with a camel. OK, two camels.
  • Supper with one of the student orgs. Unsettling revelation that the campus coffee store closes in the afternoon. Luckily, the students formed a coop coffee cart. Crisis averted.

Thanks, man!

So, did you guys stick to one clinical training site or are you going to be jumping around?

First of all, to all those who got into medical school...congrats!!! Take a breath because it's about to get interesting. I am a member of the DUCOM class of 2012 and I wanted to offer my assistance to anyone who had questions on any topics from books to classes, etc.... Also, I have great ideas on where to live. So just ask! My email is [email protected]

Good luck and enjoy your summer!
Brian

...creative username :laugh:

and you're a brave, brave man for putting your phone number on a public forum lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Does drexel offer preceptorships for 1st year students or 2nd year?

How do Drexel students do with residency matching?

Sweet.

Thanks for the breakdown White Hat. Sounds like they kept you guys busy. I wish I could have made it.

How do Drexel students do with residency matching?

I remember seeing this post from one of the match list threads. I think Excelsius is at least a resident, if not an attending:

Even though there are a lot of FM/Internal M, I must say that the Drexel list looks pretty good. Impressive matches both in terms of locations and specialties. I guess this would be one good example of "low tier school" and high caliber matches.

Also, regarding choosing one clinical campus of the three or four they offered us to stick with for all of our rotations, do you guys have any advice on what to do hear?

I mean, I don't know much about these sites, but I do know that I want to experience more than one site. What exactly is the purpose of just sticking to one?
How does it work if we don't choose this option?

Thanks.

Peace and peaches.

I addressed this back on the first page -- check it out. There are pluses and minuses to each option and it just comes down to personal preference. Your decision at this point is non-binding. Most people do not choose an all-year site. If you don't, you schedule via the lottery process.

I think where you decide to live is highly dependent on whether you're PIL or IFM and how often you plan on going to class. If you're planning on PIL or plan on attending lectures regularly in IFM, you really should live near Hahnemann so you can easily get to the shuttle. If you're not planning on going to class regularly, you have much more leeway in where you look (although closer to Hahnemann is still very convenient).

If it were me, I'd look in the areas around the hospital. The shuttle stop at Hahnemann is on Vine St. between 15th St. and Broad St. The closest "neighborhood" in your list of links would be Fairmount/Center City North. You can also look near the Art Museum and Chinatown/Convention Center.

I have a house that I'm renting in Manayunk. I did my undergrad at St. Joseph's so I've lived in the house for the past year. It is right next to main street. 4 bed rooms 2 full bathrooms big living room, den and kitchen.

My roommates are all moving out and I'm going to stay. I need three housemates. Lease starts June 1st but I'm going to see if I'll be able to move it back to July 1st.

Manayunk is a great place to live and the house is 100 feet from main st which is filled with restaurant, shops, and bars. Its about 10 minute drive from campus. Parking near the house is pretty good as well.

If anyone is interested email me at [email protected] or reply to this post.

Congratulations on Drexel. I know some med students there and they all say its a really great place.

Does anyone have insight into what exactly goes on during orientation week?

Also, is there a way to find a calendar for our 1st year class (I will be attending!) so we can plan July/August? I'm doing PIL, btw. I understand that starts a few days earlier.

Thanks!

Also, is there a way to find a calendar for our 1st year class (I will be attending!) so we can plan July/August? I'm doing PIL, btw. I understand that starts a few days earlier.

Thanks!

Here's the academic calender for the 2009-2010 if that means anything: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/calendar/

Does anyone remember what clinical opportunities the school offers during years 1 and 2, for IFM specifically?
Are there any clinics in the surrounding area where students get the opportunity to volunteer, or anything similar to the jeffhope program offered at jefferson?

Thanks.

Thanks!

Orientation is pretty much what you'd expect. You'll sit and listen to various speakers talk about everything from campus safety to financial aid, you'll get your ID card, have your picture taken, fill out forms, etc. There are official social events pretty much every night and plenty of non-official activities as well.

As August comes closer the link to the orientation page will become available and that'll give you all the information you need. You can take a look at it now but it's still set up for the Class of 2013 and there's not much to see at this point: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/osa/orientation/2014/

The academic calendar for 2010-2011 isn't up yet and won't be for a while. You can look at the current schedules to get an idea for the flow of things, but know that the dates will be slightly different.

Links for the current year (2009-2010):
Academic Calendar
IFM
PIL

Here's the academic calender for the 2009-2010 if that means anything: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/calendar/

Does anyone remember what clinical opportunities the school offers during years 1 and 2, for IFM specifically?
Are there any clinics in the surrounding area where students get the opportunity to volunteer, or anything similar to the jeffhope program offered at jefferson?

Thanks.

Drexel is involved with four clinics in Philadelphia. You can check them out here.

Has Drexel released their 2010 Match List yet? If so, can someone post the link. Thanks!

As far as I know, they have not. Last year it was made available on April 15th. I'd be happy to post the list as soon as I have access.

Saqrfaraj, you have been one of the most interactive medical students on this forum and are very keen on answering the questions of incoming students. I'm sure I speak for most of the people on this thread when I say that I truly appreciate your help and am glad that I can confidently ask a question knowing that you will do your best to answer.

On that note, not to be a ***** or anything, but is working at these four clinical sites somehow integrated into the Drexel curriculum, or is it something you are expected to do on your own time?

In other words, what sort of clinical experience does a Drexel student get in the first two years? Is there some sort of taking history/doctoring/bedside manner class integrated into the first two years?

Thanks again!

Saqrfaraj, you have been one of the most interactive medical students on this forum and are very keen on answering the questions of incoming students. I'm sure I speak for most of the people on this thread when I say that I truly appreciate your help and am glad that I can confidently ask a question knowing that you will do your best to answer.

On that note, not to be a ***** or anything, but is working at these four clinical sites somehow integrated into the Drexel curriculum, or is it something you are expected to do on your own time?

In other words, what sort of clinical experience does a Drexel student get in the first two years? Is there some sort of taking history/doctoring/bedside manner class integrated into the first two years?

Thanks again!

I appreciate your kind words.

Volunteering at these clinics is something you would do on your own time. You aren't required to participate, but they're very popular and there are a limited number of slots each week for students.

There are a number of "required" clinical experiences during your first two years, but there are differences between the two curricula (IFM and PIL). I'm in IFM, so I don't know much about what PIL students do clinically, but here's what I can tell you:

IFM-
During your first year you'll be focused on the art of obtaining patient histories. You'll visit patients in the hospital with a physician preceptor and interview patients in order to hone your skills and to gain confidence gathering medical information. You'll also practice history-taking on standardized patients periodically throughout the year and your physician preceptor will evaluate you and provide you with constructive criticism. You'll visit with a geriatric patient three times throughout the year, spend an evening in the emergency room, and attend an alcoholics anonymous meeting. These experiences are meant to introduce you to various population groups and further improve your patient interaction.

During your second year you'll be focused on the physical exam. Just like in your first year, you'll visit patients in the hospital with a physician preceptor, but this time you'll obtain the patient's history and complete a full physical exam. You'll again be evaluated by your preceptor periodically and practice your skills on standardized patients. You'll also begin to develop the skill of developing a differential diagnosis. You'll practice this skill in groups and individually.

IYou'll visit patients in the hospital with a physician preceptor and interview patients in order to hone your skills and to gain confidence gathering medical information. You'll also practice history-taking on standardized patients periodically throughout the year and your physician preceptor will evaluate you and provide you with constructive criticism. You'll visit with a geriatric patient three times throughout the year, spend an evening in the emergency room, and attend an alcoholics anonymous meeting. These experiences are meant to introduce you to various population groups and further improve your patient interaction.

During your second year you'll be focused on the physical exam. Just like in your first year, you'll visit patients in the hospital with a physician preceptor, but this time you'll obtain the patient's history and complete a full physical exam. You'll again be evaluated by your preceptor periodically and practice your skills on standardized patients. You'll also begin to develop the skill of developing a differential diagnosis. You'll practice this skill in groups and individually.

...and you'll soon realize how big of a waste of time most of it is. You take an entire year to learn how to take a history but you don't even include the review of systems.

The "ambulatory care" gig (aka just shadow-a-primary doc) in the beginning of second year was a huge waste of time, too. I pretty much just shadowed a PA student the whole time....not even the doc.

What can I say? I'm a man full of appreciation.

? Troll?

Also, what you say about it being a waste of time is pretty disappointing? What I have heard from students at other schools is that these clinical experiences are taken very seriously and are a good way of preparing for years 3 and 4.

I sure hope you're wrong.

The only thing that worries me about going here is that I feel there is not enough clinical exposure, doctoring, etc work done in the first two years in comparison with other schools.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

? Troll?

Also, what you say about it being a waste of time is pretty disappointing? What I have heard from students at other schools is that these clinical experiences are taken very seriously and are a good way of preparing for years 3 and 4.

I sure hope you're wrong.

The only thing that worries me about going here is that I feel there is not enough clinical exposure, doctoring, etc work done in the first two years in comparison with other schools.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Well I mean, what exactly (in an idealized world) would you like to do during your clinical exposure time? You know literally nothing, and you will just feel like you're in everyone's way (and there's no doubt about it - you will be in everyone's way)

You're not going to know diseases or anything. You won't know what possibly could cause stomach pain. You're not going to know a single drug that the patient is using. You don't learn this stuff until second year.

The geriatric portion I wouldn't even consider clinical exposure. You'll be assigned a place (usually a nursing home) and you'll be assigned an elderly person. Your mission, for three sessions, is to go out and talk to this person. Nothing about medicine or their problems, you just talk about their life. You then have to write a paper on your earth-shattering experience.

Me and my partner drove 30-45 minutes to find that our old person wasn't even there (even though we called and confirmed that day), so we had to go home. We were assigned a new person since we couldn't get in touch with the first person, and again drove all the way out to find that he wasn't there either (even though we confirmed in the morning). We got desperate so we went knocking door to door looking for someone to talk to. We found someone, but after talking to them for a day they weren't interested in talking after that. Essentially we just had to make up a paper based on what an old person probably would talk about. It was really, really frustrating at the time. Add this to the fact that you're studying for exams/labs everything else and you just feel like its robbing you of your free time (since you're now going to be studying in the time that you had for yourself)

In fact, all of the experience above (in first year) fall under one giant, bloated course called Physician and Patient (pnp). This course (which has one of the most screwed up grading schemes ever) will become the bane of your existence.

You'll do the AA meeting by yourself (I did, I guess some people were assigned with a partner) and you'll meet a person somewhere and talk with them for about an hour about AA and the history. Then for the next hour you'll awkwardly sit in on an AA meeting as people stare at you and try to figure out who you are.

Then, a few months later, 2 AA representatives will come to your PNP group and lecture you for 2 hours all about AA (the history, what a meeting is like, etc) even though every single person will have been to an AA meeting by then.

PNP loves to be redundant in everything that they do. But you'll realize that all of this "exposure" is really just wasting your precious time.

...and you'll soon realize how big of a waste of time most of it is. You take an entire year to learn how to take a history but you don't even include the review of systems.

The "ambulatory care" gig (aka just shadow-a-primary doc) in the beginning of second year was a huge waste of time, too. I pretty much just shadowed a PA student the whole time....not even the doc.

We make a pretty great team. :laugh:

We make a pretty great team. :laugh:

Yeah, you remind me of another duo...

good-evil-homer.jpg

In all seriousness, we appreciate you guys keeping it real, and telling it how it is. :thumbup:

I just received a "Change of major/concentration" email from Drexel, but it doesn't actually mention what change has been made. I noticed on my financial aid award, my concentration was listed as "Intdept. Foundations of Med." even though I'll be doing PIL. I assume this email is referring to some sort of correction. Did any other PILers receive the same email or have IFM listed on their financial aid award?

I just received a "Change of major/concentration" email from Drexel, but it doesn't actually mention what change has been made. I noticed on my financial aid award, my concentration was listed as "Intdept. Foundations of Med." even though I'll be doing PIL. I assume this email is referring to some sort of correction. Did any other PILers receive the same email or have IFM listed on their financial aid award?
my financial aid award said IFM even though I'm doing PIL. i haven't gotten a 'change of major/concentration' email though. did you talk to someone at drexel to tell them it was wrong in the financial aid papers? just wondering if i need to do anything to get it fixed.

my financial aid award said IFM even though I'm doing PIL. i haven't gotten a 'change of major/concentration' email though. did you talk to someone at drexel to tell them it was wrong in the financial aid papers? just wondering if i need to do anything to get it fixed.

I called the financial aid office with a handful of questions and mentioned the IFM designation on my financial aid award. They suggested I contact the PIL office so they could update my status with the financial aid office. I figured it was still pretty early and wanted to wait and see if the problem would resolve itself, so I never followed through with PIL. A couple days later I received the aforementioned email. I have a feeling the financial aid office just dealt with it themselves and updated my status.

Since we both had IFM on our financial aid awards I don't think you necessarily need to contact them to get it fixed. It's probably just something they'll flesh out closer to the start of the school year.

I got the same e-mail the day after my PIL interview. I suspected it was either the PIL switchover or my MPH paperwork getting processed. Speaking of-- is anyone else doing the public health dual degree?

One other question..How much do people normally spend on housing? I was looking at some posts on craiglist, and some of the good houses go for 750-900 both in Manayunk and center city. Is that normal? Should I be planning to spend that much :(. This is MY 100TH POST; I don't know if I should be happy or sad.

Last edited:
i think 750-900 for a single in center city is pretty good. compared to other large cities, this is pretty cheap

I will be attending Temple in the fall. I found a 2 bed/2 bath in Manayunk that would come out to just over $500/month/person. PM me if you are interested in living in the area

i think 750-900 for a single in center city is pretty good. compared to other large cities, this is pretty cheap

Yeah, that's a little on the low end. You could swing it if you were willing to live in a studio though. If you wanted a (semi spacious) one bedroom apartment in center city I don't think you'd find one in that range.

Re: P&P

The class has its moments, but you're going to spend the majority of your small group time first year thinking about all the studying or napping you could be accomplishing for the science courses that are devouring your life.

As for the lecture portion of Physician and Patient, take it seriously at first and then hit your stride with it. My only contact with the lectures at this point is watching them once at double speed the day before the exam and doing pretty well to perfect, depending on the topics.

Someone posted this site in another thread and I thought it was an awesome tool for finding housing. Wanted to post it here in case you guys hadn't heard of it either. It searches craigslist and a few other sites and posts the results in google maps.

Last edited: