DREXEL Med Class of 2010!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
007Dabomb said:
Hey guys,
MSII@ DUCOM here. Regarding a post earlier about Financial Aid lenders. I did EXTENSIVE research into this last year. The best deal is with Total Higher Education loans T.H.E. (www.northstar.org) Our own FinAid director recommends them. MedLoans is a scam.

If anyone's signing up for ALDEN PARK, they give money for referrals. We can split the money if you tell them I referred u; pm soon. Good luck!!

~Send me a message if you have any other school related questions! GO STEELERS! Duquesne Univ. class of 05.

I already signed up for Alden Park so i can't do the referral thing but what is the best internet provider out there in Philadelphia? I am from california and use comcast cable internet here but am not sure if I can get that in Alden Park.

Members don't see this ad.

007Dabomb said:
Hey guys,
MSII@ DUCOM here. Regarding a post earlier about Financial Aid lenders. I did EXTENSIVE research into this last year. The best deal is with Total Higher Education loans T.H.E. (www.northstar.org) Our own FinAid director recommends them. MedLoans is a scam.

If anyone's signing up for ALDEN PARK, they give money for referrals. We can split the money if you tell them I referred u; pm soon. Good luck!!

~Send me a message if you have any other school related questions! GO STEELERS! Duquesne Univ. class of 05.
YOu went to duquesne too??? I'm '06!!

Has anyone heard anything about Park Heights? I am looking at one of two apartment complexes:

Hathaway House
Park Heights

On ApartmentRatings.com, they give Alden Park users give it a pretty bad rating and Park Heights seems to have good ratings. Anyone else have recommendations or comments on these?

Members don't see this ad :)
m1prsche said:
I already signed up for Alden Park so i can't do the referral thing but what is the best internet provider out there in Philadelphia? I am from california and use comcast cable internet here but am not sure if I can get that in Alden Park.

I just signed up for comcast. I am pretty sure you shoud l have no problem getting it.

ahhhhh! so i was planning to move friday to virginia to start school down there when lisa cifelli calls me this afternoon to offer me an acceptance. can anyone tell me about the area/where to live??? i don't have time to make a trip before i have to move, and didnt get a great feel for the surrounding areas when i interviewed. is there a younger/trendy scene anywhere nearby? i like to study in noisy environments (ie coffee shops). please help me :confused:
thanks!

jro said:
ahhhhh! so i was planning to move friday to virginia to start school down there when lisa cifelli calls me this afternoon to offer me an acceptance. can anyone tell me about the area/where to live??? i don't have time to make a trip before i have to move, and didnt get a great feel for the surrounding areas when i interviewed. is there a younger/trendy scene anywhere nearby? i like to study in noisy environments (ie coffee shops). please help me :confused:
thanks!

Hi jro. Congrats on the acceptance! If you are looking for a trendy scene that's fairly close to campus, Manayunk is probably the way to go. Do you have a car? If so, it's really easy to get from Manayunk to campus. A good way to find places there is via Craigslist. If you want to be closer to campus, most people tend to look at Alden Park, Park Ridge, and the apartments right on Queen Lane next to and across the street from campus. Most of the bigger complexes are on all the apartment websites and 4wallsinphilly.com has some additional complexes on it.

I am a second year student so if you have any other questions I can probably answer them. Feel free to PM me. Good luck with the move!

caliboy007 said:
Has anyone heard anything about Park Heights? I am looking at one of two apartment complexes:

Hathaway House
Park Heights

On ApartmentRatings.com, they give Alden Park users give it a pretty bad rating and Park Heights seems to have good ratings. Anyone else have recommendations or comments on these?

I know people who live in Alden Park and Park Ridge. They both seem happy. The apartments in Alden are slightly bigger, but otherwise the places are fairly comparable.

m1prsche said:

I am pretty sure Alden Park is serviced by Urban Cable (division of Time Warner) rather than Comcast, so Comcast high speed internet isn't possible . Urban has Road Runner cable internet, but I don't know anyone who has it. If you call Urban, they do have a student package that will give you a discount on cable and internet. An option lots of people go with is Verizon DSL. I had it last year before I moved and I never had any problems with it. It's very fast. If you're a big downloader, you might be more picky about speed, but don't forget you can always download using the internet at school.

jro said:
thanks!

Congrats!!!! I would also suggest Manayunk or center city. I live in center city right now. I love it! I am close to everything and can walk everywhere (everywhere but school that is). However, I plan to move to Manayunk once my lease is up, because it still has the city appeal with shops, restaurants, bars etc. while being both closer to school and more affordable. Hope that helps. I am from the area, so I would be more than happy to answer any Philly questions you might have :)

Elphie said:
I am pretty sure Alden Park is serviced by Urban Cable (division of Time Warner) rather than Comcast, so Comcast high speed internet isn't possible . Urban has Road Runner cable internet, but I don't know anyone who has it. If you call Urban, they do have a student package that will give you a discount on cable and internet. An option lots of people go with is Verizon DSL. I had it last year before I moved and I never had any problems with it. It's very fast. If you're a big downloader, you might be more picky about speed, but don't forget you can always download using the internet at school.

FYI: Right now this section of Philly (East Falls/Manayunk) is serviced only by Urban Cable but Urban was just bought out by Comcast, so everyone with Urban will be a Comcast customer soon...they say August, but who knows. Urban cable SUCKS, so I really can't wait for the Comcast switch.

Oh and for you guys looking for last minute housing, Manayunk rocks...I highly recommend...close to school, great area, tons of restaurants, bars, and stuff to do in walking distance. Gettin psyched for orientation, see you all next week....

Polska said:
Can anyone tell me how saturated the Alden Park and surrounding apartment complexes are? I know in my college hometown, a few new developments went up which increased supply by 2x.. which allowed a lot of people to demand 1-3 months free rent or other concessions. (Free rent because it's illegal to charge different rent to different people due to discrimination...)
I'm thinking this might be the case in the East Falls area near the school since.. Alden Park (example) has it's 3 bedrooms advertised as starting at 2100+ (so $700/room) but I've seen a couple people advertise one of those bedrooms at ~$500 on the Drexel Housing sites.. Do you think the other roommates are subsidizing the rent by paying more (ie. $800-900) or did they negotate a rent package..

Hey - I lived at Alden Park last year and my 2500 sq ft 3 BR/2 bath apartment was only $1600 per month...I think they make it up as they go along and different apartments are charged different amounts. I wouldn't expect to be able to demand anything free from Alden Park...they'll probably just laugh and tell you to move somewhere else. They also don't do maintenance...ever. But hey, if you get something free out of them, more power to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
We lived in roxborough for a year and then moved up to the greater northeast, now that I'm done with school we have a townhouse up there to sell or rent to the right person/people. The northeast is a little more of a drive, but the area is great for someone with a family. It's a 3 bed, 1 bath townhouse with a small fenced backyard, porch and driveway, about 1500 sq. ft, large addition family room with wood burning stove, and everything new/remodeled/updated throughout (new carpet, appliances -W/D and dishwasher included-, counter and flooring in the kitchen, etc...). Anyhow, I just wanted to put it out there in case any Drexel, Temple, or Penn professional students were looking for non-apartment life. :D
Good luck with your studies!

If anyone is still looking for a roommate, please give me a call at 240-271-4319. My access to the internet is limited at this point, so I won't be able to check any messages left here. I'm 23 y, male, non-smoker, originally from CO, like sports, music, outdoors.

dave

Polska said:
What do you mean by maintence? They don't fix leaks? or they don't cut the grass?

Like don't expect anything in your apartment to get fixed. Our a/c units never worked, there was water damage seeping into 3 of the rooms (one time our living room floor erupted from water and shortly before move-out water actually came pouring in from the bathroom above us), the dishwasher didnt clean dishes and the washing machine only washed in hot water. Phone calls didn't matter, nothing got fixed. Fair warning, I know Alden Park sounds nice in all the ads and stuff - but it's not all it's cracked up to be.

dsprague12 said:
If anyone is still looking for a roommate, please give me a call at 240-271-4319. My access to the internet is limited at this point, so I won't be able to check any messages left here. I'm 23 y, male, non-smoker, originally from CO, like sports, music, outdoors.

dave

im looking for a roomate as well. 23F from CA, very easy going

Polska said:
To a small extent, that is your fault if you only called maintanence. I would have called the local tenant rights group and even reported them so they would have to do an inspection and fix everything by law. (Not the A/C.. but the plumbing and possible risk of mold buildup)

I decided to just move on to bigger and better things. :D Just trying to make everyone aware...good luck with all that.

whattup hip kats, i believe this is the first post on this thread, and on any allopathic thread for that matter. yes! i feel privileged.

unless i posted something about an apt earlier...

anyway, a few questions:

anybody know of a good mattress place in town near campus?

what exactly is this weekend-packed deal called 'social' time id love to meet everybody more so but getting off this waitlist thing so late and thus moving in so late requires a little bit of apt assembling. whos a goin?

is there a 'listserve' on yahoo groups for us good lookin drexel M'10s to subscribe to? theres gotta be a better way for 200 of us to communicate.

slowly getting out of my wake-up-late-do-nothing and into my holy-expletive-im-going-to-drexel,
ed

eddaman said:
whattup hip kats, i believe this is the first post on this thread, and on any allopathic thread for that matter. yes! i feel privileged.

unless i posted something about an apt earlier...

anyway, a few questions:

anybody know of a good mattress place in town near campus?

what exactly is this weekend-packed deal called 'social' time id love to meet everybody more so but getting off this waitlist thing so late and thus moving in so late requires a little bit of apt assembling. whos a goin?

is there a 'listserve' on yahoo groups for us good lookin drexel M'10s to subscribe to? theres gotta be a better way for 200 of us to communicate.

slowly getting out of my wake-up-late-do-nothing and into my holy-expletive-im-going-to-drexel,
ed

yeah i think im going to be unpacking and assemblng over the weekend as well

Last edited:
nooow you're lookin for a roommate david. u waited for me to get an apt first...i see how it is.

thats it, im gonna sabotage your ochem lab...wait a minute...

Hi guys, I just got into Loma Linda yesterday so I will no longer be attending drexel but good luck to all of you

Hey,

I'm Noa, i'll be a first year at DuCOM. I organized a BM Drive last april in hahnemann hospital (i was getting my masters at drexel). So i have all the contact info for the BM people in phili. The main person you want to contact is Alice Kaplan. Her number is 215-451-4122. her email is: [email protected]
The office is at 700 Spring Garden St. Philadelphia, PA 19123

She is really great! Let me know if you need anything other info, or if you need help. You can contact me at [email protected]

hope you're having a great summer!
noa
radical said:
Hello!

I'm trying to organize a bone marrow typing drive (which is an opportunity to become part of the National Marrow Registry) for all Philadelphia medical students of the class of 2010. If you are interested in becoming part of the Registry, or if you are interested in helping organize the drive (which we are planning to do during the week of orientation) please check out this link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=294554

Anyone secured a place but still looking for a roommate?

Hey everyone. I just got moved into Alden Park (K124, come visit if you want) so if anyone has any last minute questions about the place, I can field them since I've been through a lot of the paperwork and stuff by now (AIM SN = jamen316). The internet/cable is ONLY through TimeWarner (Urban) which was a pain to set up but the student discount gets about 60 channels and 50 music channels with internet (one modem included) for $90/mo. It comes with like 13 HBO's for free for what it's worth. See everyone on Friday.

What are you guys bringing to orientation? Also, don't make fun of me, but what are you wearing? I asked a good friend of mine who is an orientation leader at his school, and he told me to wear a bikini. Not very helpful, so I am turning to you guys. I know it says casual, but somehow my idea of casual feels wrong. I already know I am wayyyyy over analyzing this :D but I feel like I am getting ready for the first day of kindergarten on a much larger scale (and by the way I remember what I wore for that) Thanks guys... See you Friday :)

R*ckstar said:
What are you guys bringing to orientation? Also, don't make fun of me, but what are you wearing? I asked a good friend of mine who is an orientation leader at his school, and he told me to wear a bikini. Not very helpful, so I am turning to you guys. I know it says casual, but somehow my idea of casual feels wrong. I already know I am wayyyyy over analyzing this :D but I feel like I am getting ready for the first day of kindergarten on a much larger scale (and by the way I remember what I wore for that) Thanks guys... See you Friday :)

I was sort of wondering the same thing. I think "casual" rules out a shirt and tie, but since this is the first time people will meet me, I'll probably keep the board shorts out of the question too (but probably bring them with me). Since most of my wardrobe is either button downs, polos, and concert t-shirts, I'll probably do a button down and jeans so that I can get away with anything in the casual to business casual range hopefully. Now who's overanalyzing? :laugh:

hi all.
i was able to get a 1 month lease in manayunk for a 2 br while i look around for a place to sign a year lease in sept 1. the second br is kinda small, but it does have a closet. you can have it for $450 for Aug if you like. i'll be moving sept 1 (still in the manayunk area), and will be looking for a roomate at that time if you'd be interested, otherwise you can take your time finding a place for sept 1st. i'm 25yo M, very laid back, clean, like music (play a couple instruments), outdoors, cycling. let me know. 617-872-7960
take it easy,
justin

its going to be 90+ degrees, no board shorts!?!?

im going with cargo shorts, flipflops and a tshirt unless otherwise instructed...

also note the BBQ at the end of the day...definitely a bikini affair... ;)

jamen316 said:
I was sort of wondering the same thing. I think "casual" rules out a shirt and tie, but since this is the first time people will meet me, I'll probably keep the board shorts out of the question too (but probably bring them with me). Since most of my wardrobe is either button downs, polos, and concert t-shirts, I'll probably do a button down and jeans so that I can get away with anything in the casual to business casual range hopefully. Now who's overanalyzing? :laugh:

Hahaha I think jeans are going to be way too hot. It is supposed to be 100 tomorrow and hot all week. I am hoping casual means denim skirt and tank top... not so much a bikini :p

I did say jeans, didn't I? Make that cargos for me too. It is entirely too hot in this city and I've only been here 5 days...

Hey everyone, shorts, skirts, flip-flops, any of that is perfectly okay for Orientation. You'll mostly be sitting in the lecture hall with the exception of some smaller group settings and a tour. You definitely don't need to dress up...when they say casual, they definitely mean it. Just a warning...the Auds are notoriously too cold in the summer (too much A/C) and too warm in the winter. So, if you get cold easily, you might want to bring something to throw on top of what you are wearing. Enjoy the rest of your time off!

Is anyone living in Stiles Hall? Just wanted to see if any other med students are living there. Maybe we can meet up before orientation.

Elphie said:
Hey everyone, shorts, skirts, flip-flops, any of that is perfectly okay for Orientation. You'll mostly be sitting in the lecture hall with the exception of some smaller group settings and a tour. You definitely don't need to dress up...when they say casual, they definitely mean it. Just a warning...the Auds are notoriously too cold in the summer (too much A/C) and too warm in the winter. So, if you get cold easily, you might want to bring something to throw on top of what you are wearing. Enjoy the rest of your time off!

Thanks for the info :)

For anybody who has already gone through first year, which books would you say are definitely needed and which can we get through without buying the books? Here is the list they gave us...most of them offer a choice so if you have any input on which you think is better let us first years know!
Biochemistry

No required books, but 2 highly recommended ones:

1. Textbook of Biochemistry with Clinical Correlations (6th ed) Thomas Devlin, Editor Wiley-Liss NJ 2006

2. Lippincott’s Illustrated Review of Biochemistry (3rd ed) Pamela Champe, Richard Harvey and Denise Ferrier Lippincott Williams & Wilkins PA 2005

If students already have a recent biochemistry textbook, they are welcome to use it.

Behavioral Science

Text: Fadem, Behavioral Science in Medicine, Lippincott & Williams, 2004.

Text: Desk Reference to Diagnostic Criteria DSM-IV-TR, American Psychiatric Association, 2000.

Gross Anatomy

Required Texts:

Choose one of the following two texts. I have prepared two versions of the course syllabus with reading assignments for each of these texts. The faculty, in reviewing the texts had positive comments to say about both so I felt that perhaps we would let you each decide which one suited your learning style best.

Drake, RL, Vogl, W. and Mitchell, AWM. Gray’s Anatomy for Students, 1st ed. Elsevier, 2005

or

Moore, KL, and Dalley, AF. Clinically Oriented Anatomy. 5th ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2005

Tank, PW. Grant"s Dissector. 13th , ed., Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2005

Cahill, DR. Lachman's Case Studies in Anatomy. 4th ed. Oxford University Press, 1997

One of the following Embryology texts:

Moore KL and Persaud TVN. The Developing Human. 7th, ed. Philadelphia: Saunders

or

Sadler, TW. Langman's Medical Embryology. 9th ed. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 2004.

An Atlas

You may wish to wait to meet with your lab group before purchasing an atlas. The dissector is keyed to several of the more common anatomy atlases. We recommend:

Agur, AMR and Dalley, AF,. Grant’s Atlas of Anatomy. 11th ed. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2005.
This atlas comes with a CD of images and other useful features. However, others may suggest the Netter Atlas, the Clemente Atlas or one of the photographic atlases. We will try to provide each lab group with an old atlas from last year’s class to be used at the dissection table. You should purchase your own atlas for use at home and for study and review. Check with the bookstore for prices and availability.

Medical Genetics

Required Text
Thompson and Thompson Genetics in Medicine by Robert Nussbaum, Roderick McInnes, and Huntington Willard (WB Saunders, 2004). This textbook is a good resource with significant depth. Students are asked to read clinical case studies from the text for each module exam (4-12 pages). The 2001 version of the book is the same edition and is nearly identical.

Recommended Texts
Principles of Medical Genetics by Thomas Gelehter, Francis Collins, and David Ginsburg (Williams and Wilkins, 1998). This text provides a well-presented background of basic human and medical genetics.

Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics by Robert F. Mueller, Ian D., MD Young (W B Saunders, 2001). This text provides an elementary, clinical approach to medical genetics.

Medical Immunology

Students are strongly advised to purchase either the Parham or Abbas text; however, if the student has another recent immunology textbook (2001 or later), it can be used. Students should remember that certain content has changed over the past few years.

Required Texts: The Immune System by Peter Parham (Garland, 2004). This is a new well-written text specifically created for medical students. It uses human data and figures where possible. The faculty often uses figures from this text in their lectures. Students are strongly advised to purchase this textbook.

Basic Immunology: Functions and Disorders of the Immune System by Abul Abbas and Andrew Lichtman (2004), an excellent book which highlights major concepts. It like the Parham text was created specifically for the needs of medical students. This text is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED to give a broad understanding of the material.

Recommended texts (order is based on preference):

Immunology (2003) by Goldsby, Kindt, Osborne, Kuby is an experimental approach to immunology. This text tends to give richer descriptions than most other textbooks. It provides an excellent discussion of inflammation and cytokines.

Immunology A Short Course (2003) by Benjamini, Coico, and Sunshine, a very elementary approach to immunology. Students who have not studied immunology before may find it a useful reference. It presents immunology within the framework of microbiology.

Immunobiology (2005) by Charles Janeway, a very detailed discussion of immunology. It includes many of the same figures Parham’s textbook.

Microanatomy

Text: Histology, A Text & Atlas by Ross & Pawlina. 5th edition. 2006. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. ISBN: 0-7817-5056-3.

Atlas: Wheater's Functional Histology: A Text & Color Atlas by B. Young et al. 5th edition. 2006. Churchill Livingstone. ISBN: 0-443-06850-X.

Neurosciences

REQUIRED BOOKS

1. Blumenfeld, H. Neuroanatomy through Clinical Cases. Sinauer 2002.

2. Nolte, J. The Human Brain. 5th Edition. Mosby. 2002.

3. Kandel,E.R. et al. Principles of Neural Science. 4th Edition. McGraw Hill. 2000.

Note: It is highly recommended that you purchase both Nolte and Blumenfeld books. Lecturers will refer to Figures from these books and exam material will assume you know the content of required reading from both books.
The book by Kandel et al is excellent, scholarly, expensive and heavy, Some sections will be required reading and will be referred to in lectures on neurophysiology, but we recognize that some of you may decide not to purchase it. Therefore, several copies will be available in the library for those who do not wish to invest in this book).

An Atlas is REQUIRED and we recommend that you buy the atlas by Woolsey et al, since this is referred to in that lab manual. However, the other atlases listed below are also good. The atlas should be brought to laboratories. We recommend:

1. Woolsey, T.A., et al. The Brain Atlas. Fitzgerald Science Press. 2003.
2. Jennes, L et al. Atlas of the Human Brain. Lippincott. 1995
3. Haines, D.E. Neuroanatomy: An atlas of structures, sections and systems. 6th edition. 2004

RECOMMENDED BOOKS

1) PRE-COURSE READING:
1. Sidman,R and Sidman, M. Neuroanatomy: a Programmed Text. Volume 1. Little, Brown and Co.,1965.
If you have time, spend 10 minutes a day from September until March, working through this text. It will teach you the basic concepts and structures needed for your study of the brain stem and spinal cord, and will help you a great deal once the course begins.

2) STUDY GUIDES:
Study guides are a very useful supplement AFTER the main material has been learned from handouts and texts, but cannot replace the required reading. We recommend:
White,J.S. USMLE Road Map Neuroscience. 2004

Nutrition

Text: Medical Nutrition and Disease, by Lisa Hark, PhD, RD and Gail Morrison, M.D. Third Edition. Blackwell Science.

Physiology

Required Course Text
MEDICAL PHYSIOLOGY (Updated edition) This Updated Edition was published by Elsevier Science in November 2004

Suggested Course Text
MEDICAL PHYSIOLOGY (2nd edition) 2003

Anyone else have/bringing a significant other to the orientation events over the next week? I thought it might be a good time to introduce!

gainor848 said:
For anybody who has already gone through first year, which books would you say are definitely needed and which can we get through without buying the books? Here is the list they gave us...most of them offer a choice so if you have any input on which you think is better let us first years know!

Hey,

I'm a third year at Drexel who went through IFM. Here's my breakdown on the books, with the caveat that what worked for me may or may not work for you. Using my system I honored or high passed most of my classes in first and second year, with most of those being honors. Step 1 score was in the 250s. Your mileage may vary, depending on your learning style and background.

99% of what you need to know for the tests is in the module guides that they give you at the beginning of each module. Lecturers generally follow the module guides with some extra info thrown in, but they're usually pretty good about making sure that they only actually test on what's been presented in the module guides. My usual way of dealing with the info was to go to class (or watch the video), and then read/highlight the corresponding lecture notes for each day in the module guide that same day. Then, if there was time, I'd try to hit one of the review sources for the subject, i.e., BRS Physiology, BRS Gross Anatomy, Netter Flash Cards, etc. I'd also do as many practice questions as I could find, either from the course websites or from websites at other schools (e.g., UMich for gross anatomy), while reading the explanations for the right AND wrong choices in each question. Very rarely did I open one of the actual textbooks; nine times out of ten I found that they weren't really needed, or an older version from the library worked fine if I needed further clarification on a topic. Although it would probably have been helpful/useful to read the textbooks, there usually simply isn't time (unless you're a really fast reader), and if it comes to a choice between the lecture notes and the textbook, the lecture notes win, hands down. Again, that's usually what they test from.

By course:

Biochem: Lippincott's if you need clarification of the module guide. The older version in the library is fine for the most part. Online practice questions help a lot too.

Behavioral Science: Get Fadem, because he does test from it, but make sure you focus on the module guide. MEMORIZE IT, because sometimes they test on really random things in the notes. I never actually used the DSM; there's an online version you can use if you need to.

Gross Anatomy: Can't say much about the two textbooks you mentioned; they're different from the one we used. I didn't use our required text much, except that it did have clinical scenarios in it that were helpful to know for the test. Mostly I just spent a lot of time with Netter's Atlas (I'd definitely recommend getting your own; that way you can write in it), the Netter Flash Cards (absolutely key to own), BRS Gross Anatomy, the practice questions on the University of Michigan web site, and the old exams that he posts online. He reuses a lot of questions from year to year, but often puts a twist on them, so beware. Also, Dr. White's Roadmap to Gross Anatomy is good, as he actually teaches several lectures in the course (see Neuro, below). Also make sure you know the stuff presented in conference very very well; it's always on the tests.

Embryology: Get a textbook from the library and study his old tests like mad. Try to hit some websites for review as well; they help a lot with 3D conceptualization and "the big picture."

Genetics: It'd be a good idea to know the clinical cases she's talking about, but other than that, it's all lecture, module guide, AND conference (stuff from conference ends up on the exams). You'd probably be ok getting the reserve copy out of the library (it's usually a 3-hour or overnight checkout, depending on what time of day you do it) and reading the clinical cases that way. Other than that I never opened my textbook.

Immunology: Same as for Genetics.

Microanatomy: Definitely get Wheater's, get Ross if you don't feel like you are grasping the material. See if you can fine a good online practical histology quiz someplace too, or maybe a CDROM. She's good about staying with the module guide, but again, MEMORIZE IT because she can test on obscure items. The practicals can be tough and tricky, so make sure you know the slide review handouts she gives you INSIDE AND OUT, go to the slide review, and definitely hit the laser discs for practice. The slide review handouts, especially, are key for both the written and practical exams; although she'll hit you with more than is listed on the slide review sheets, they're a good framework for study.

Neuro: Get a copy of Nolte from the library, and definitely get a neuro atlas out of the library as well. Do it early when the course starts because these things all get massively checked out at the beginning of the neuro course. The key to Neuro is their website (besides the module guide, that is). They have TONS of practice questions and practical reviews on there, and I found that if you know ALL their practice questions and online brain slides cold, you do very well on their tests. Also, White's Roadmap to Neuroscience is great. He actually teaches several lectures at the school and his module notes are verbatim from the Roadmap...and test questions for his lectures are based on that material as well.

Nutrition: Absolutely get the book because he does test from it. However, remember to make your primary study source the module guide. Most of his test questions come from there.

Physiology: This one is a tough call for me because you guys have a different course director than we did (in the Class of 2008). We had the Boron and Boulpaep book for our class, but we literally almost NEVER opened it. However, the new course director has a reputation for being a stickler, so he could very well test from the book. Perhaps someone in the Class of 2009 can shed more light on this; they had him last year. For me it was all lecture notes, conference notes, BRS physio, and the online practice questions (they were really really amazing, but I'm not sure if they're still available or not. I got the impression that the new course director changed them or took them down).

Hope this helps. Any questions about anything at all, feel free to PM me.

snapdad

Thanks alot snapdad...that really helps!!!

2nd year here (Class of '09)...I agree with most of what snapdad said, but also wanted to let you know there will be an "Academic Survival" session this coming Monday and which textbooks to buy and not to buy is a huge part of that session. It is definitely possible to wait to buy books until after then...and even after the first day of classes. The big classes in the first module are Genetics and Biochem, and they test pretty much exclusively on material in the module notes. Lippincott's is useful if you need a concise review of Biochem, but Devlin is not at all necessary. The required Genetics book is really not necessary either. She tests on stuff from the clinical cases in the purple pages of the book, but you can just photocopy them from the library. I bought the book and barely touched it. The other big class at the beginning is Microanatomy and the questions on those written exams come straight from the notes. If you can memorize the notes, you can get pretty much 100s on every written exam. The practicals are much harder so you will definitely want to look at as many pics as possible. I used both Wheater and Ross, but you definitely want at least Wheater.

The Nutrition book and Fadem definitely need to be read because they test from there and you can save yourself a lot of trouble by buying those books. In the days right before exams, those books are hard to come by in the library.

Gross doesn't start immediately so you can wait on that, but you definitely want a Netter Atlas. The student group AMSA usually has a deal where if you sign up for the group you get a free atlas and the membership price is a little less than the actual cost of the book. So look around for that before you buy one.

Physio doesn't start until well into the fall so you don't have to buy books for that immediately. The textbook (Boron and Boulpaep) is not necessary or even that useful. BRS Physio is essential!! This class is the hardest to study for because the notes aren't as helpful and the practice questions aren't even very good preparation.

Immuno doesn't start for awhile and textbooks are not necessary. See how the beginning of the class goes before you decide if you need additional resources. You can get by with just the notes.

Neuro doesn't start for a million years so don't even worry about books for that.

Check out the online classifieds for people selling books and keep your eyes open for book sales at the beginning of the year. That's a great way to get books for good prices. Welcome to Drexel and enjoy your first day of orientation tomorrow!

gainor848 said:
For anybody who has already gone through first year, which books would you say are definitely needed and which can we get through without buying the books? Here is the list they gave us...most of them offer a choice so if you have any input on which you think is better let us first years know!/QUOTE]

Where did you get this info? I have not seen this list.

Osirus said:
Anyone else have/bringing a significant other to the orientation events over the next week? I thought it might be a good time to introduce!

I am bringing my boyfriend to bowling on Tuesday night and the welcome back party on the 25th.

R*ckstar said:
gainor848 said:
For anybody who has already gone through first year, which books would you say are definitely needed and which can we get through without buying the books? Here is the list they gave us...most of them offer a choice so if you have any input on which you think is better let us first years know!/QUOTE]

Where did you get this info? I have not seen this list.
This is for IFM: http://webcampus.drexelmed.edu/ifm/requiredTexts.htm

So, orientation is officially over. Is everyone ready? *mixture of excitement and anxiety*

Just thought I would bump up this thread. If anyone is still looking for a group for anatomy, PM me. I didn't really go to any of the social events and I don't know anyone all that well.

Polska said:
So I have no TV.. but I do have a DVD player on my laptop and was wondering if anyone would be generous enough to let me borrow a TV series (No star trek ;) )? I'm tempted to start the soprano series or any other series anyone has?? I've got Scrubs season 1 layin around somewhere so if you'd like that, I could dig it up for you too.

Thanks.. PM me if you are able to help out..

Hagerty has a VHS/DVD collection that you might find interesting. Although it's located in the city campus, you can request items and have them delivered to queen lane's library. For example, you could request:

South Park: Complete 7th season

and then click "Request Item" --> enter your id / password, and choose "Queen Lane Circulation desk" as the location you want to pick it up.

The DVD collection at Hagerty looks pretty decent. I'm sure you'll find some stuff you'll like. But don't forget, there's always Youtube, and you can find lots of stuff floating around on the web... (versuch doch beim rapidshare und damit findest du alles).

To my fellow IFM'ers: Good luck on the exam tomorrow! (or more accurately, today, :eek: )

:)

Hey Polska,
don't know if you still need oil change but we've had great experience with car repairs at Philadelphia Tire & Service (first went there with tire issue, but they are a full car repair shop). They were definitely honest with us. They are walking distance (15 min?) from Hahnemann hospital at 545 N. Broad Street - just take Broad from Hahnemann AWAY from downtown.
i'm going to try to pm you