This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KSW_PT_2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I recently just graduated from USF in the Fall of 2015, and have applied to PT schools for Fall 2016. Here are my stats:

University of South Florida, Graduated Magna Cum Laude on December 11th
Major: Biomedical Sciences
Minor: Psychology
Cumulative GPA: 3.75
GRE: V:152, Q:153, W:4.5 Overall: 305
Observation Hours: Inpatient: 41; Outpatient: 55

Extracurricular: 350 hours as an Undergraduate Research Assistant, Honors College student (conducted my own thesis), Official Tour Guide of the University, Volunteer at Morsani College of Medicine in Rehab Department, Volunteer at Shriner's Hospital for Children, Volunteer at NuVista Living Center

Applied: USF, UF, Nova Southeastern, University of Saint Augustine, and Emory
Accepted: N/A
Rejections: USF (as of 12/17 stating I didn't meet all the requirements somehow?)

I was wondering has anyone heard back from any of these schools, especially Emory, as they have stated they would contact people in December for interviews in January.

I wish everyone the best.

Members don't see this ad.

I also got the email. I would like to know what requirement I am missing. Based off PTCAS I have fulfilled each one.

I got the same email and am also confused on which requirement I am missing... Based off of PTCAS and their website I'm certain I completed everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad to know I am not the only one! I did everything they asked and more and it shocked me to see that I didn't get in.

Has anyone heard anything else from USF that isn't what we all got?

People typically miss the two letters that must be specifically from physical therapists.

People typically miss the two letters that must be specifically from physical therapists.
I would agree but I got three letters of recommendations, 2 from physical therapists (one who even sits on the administrative board at USF who is a practicing PT)

I had 4 letters of rec. 2 PTS, a professor and an employer. So I know that can't be it... I'll try to contact them but I tried to contact them before regarding my app and no one ever picks up the phone there.

I have 2 PTs and a professor so cannot be that.

What about the three psychology courses? Life Span Development, Abnormal and General. Also USF requires a 3.2 minimum in upper division, prereq and cumulative gpa whereas most schools require a 3.0.

Only thing is I have 2 left over psychology courses but they say that is the most you can have.

I took both general and life span but will take Abnormal during the Spring (which they allow 2 courses in progress).

I had way above a 3.2 in upper, prerequisite and cumuliative GPA.

I feel like they must of made a mistake or something. I know two other classmates who got the same email.

Reactions: 1 user
Did you guys get an initial email that confirmed that they received your application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the same email. I expected it for myself after reading a forum on here that I saw after I had already sent my application. I started undergrad in Aug 2010. That would mean my first semester of college classes are now older than 5 years, as of this month. So I am assuming that is why I received the email. I can't remember which thread I saw it, but apparently hundreds of applications get thrown out. This is my first time applying so I didn't even think of how old my classes are.

I never got the initial but i submitted way before their deadline.

As did I but I just realized that they are the only school I didn't receive a confirmation from. I am a reapplicant and I received a confirmation from them last year though. Weird.

What's really weird to me is that I have taken all the highly recommended psych classes (and even got a psych minor).

My GPA overall and pre-req was well over 3.2. But I never did receive an email saying they got my application.

Ive received an email two days ago from Emory for an interview on January 15 of next year.

Definitely call the program and find out the req you did not meet! I received a reject email from a different program stating this and I knew I met all the requirements. I ended up calling and they said it was a mistake and then thanked me for calling. It totally happens.

Ive received an email two days ago from Emory for an interview on January 15 of next year.
Do you happen to know if they are still sending out emails for interviews?

Or if they would let you know if you did not get an interview?

Definitely call the program and find out the req you did not meet! I received a reject email from a different program stating this and I knew I met all the requirements. I ended up calling and they said it was a mistake and then thanked me for calling. It totally happens.
So if it was a mistake then, do they reopen your application and look at it is then my next question. If it is their mistake, then why should we be punished for it?

Last edited:
So if it was a mistake then, do they reopen your application and look at it is then my next question. If it is their mistake, then why should we be punised for it?

Well they told me that I was moved back into the pool for consideration. I later found out that the day they sent me the rejection, they had also sent some interview invites and only have about 1 day for those. I'm currently waiting and frustrated because I'm sure I was overlooked initially due to the fact they misread my stats.

Do you happen to know if they are still sending out emails for interviews?

Or if they would let you know if you did not get an interview?

I actually have no idea... Sorry :/ you could try calling them?

Has anyone tried contacting USF? I called their admissions but as usual no one answers and I emailed the department and have not heard back yet.

i was rejected by USF but i have an interview with emory in january

Usf is messed up. If you have more than 2
Classes left in your degree of any nature you aren't eligible to apply. And also OP I received an email from
Emory for an interview on the 22nd of January.

Just found out I'm on the alternate list for USF. However, in the event that a spot does open for me, I never took organic chemistry or biochemisty and the curriculum at USF is integrated with the medical students. Would I be prepared or extremely behind?

Just found out I'm on the alternate list for USF. However, in the event that a spot does open for me, I never took organic chemistry or biochemisty and the curriculum at USF is integrated with the medical students. Would I be prepared or extremely behind?
I've heard students of USF on here say that they had unrelated majors and never took those classes either but did well anyways. The only thing I would think is those who didn't take them may have to study a little bit more. That's wierd I applied to USF too but I haven't heard back from them.

I've heard students of USF on here say that they had unrelated majors and never took those classes either but did well anyways. The only thing I would think is those who didn't take them may have to study a little bit more. That's wierd I applied to USF too but I haven't heard back from them.

I assume you're out-of-state. They mail their decisions so it may take longer to get to you.

I assume you're out-of-state. They mail their decisions so it may take longer to get to you.
Yes I am out of state. I assumed an email response. Thanks for the heads up!

Hey! I was also put on the alternate list today. From what I heard you don't necessarily need to have taken it but it is helpful. Another thing I know is that the USF DPT students work really hard and help each other through the science heavy coursework. Also, you are scored on a different level than the MD students that they take classes with. I know this because I went to USF for my undergraduate and my current mentor is a first year DPT student there, and that is what she shared with me about that.

Would those of you that got waitlisted/accepted at USF be willing to share your stats? I am out of state and expecting to hear soon if people have started to hear from them. Also, did you get a certified letter that you had to sign for, or was it just a generic letter in the mail?

Would those of you that got waitlisted/accepted at USF be willing to share your stats? I am out of state and expecting to hear soon if people have started to hear from them. Also, did you get a certified letter that you had to sign for, or was it just a generic letter in the mail?

Waitlisted.

Undergrad: UCF
Major: Health Sciences and Psychology
Cum GPA: 3.4
PreReq GPA: 3.65
Upper Division/Last 60: 3.9
They don't look at the GRE
250+ hours in peds, acute and outpatient.

It was a normal letter in my mailbox.

Reactions: 1 user
Waitlisted.

Undergrad: UCF
Major: Health Sciences and Psychology
Cum GPA: 3.4
PreReq GPA: 3.65
Upper Division/Last 60: 3.9
They don't look at the GRE
250+ hours in peds, acute and outpatient.

It was a normal letter in my mailbox.

When was it postmarked? I am just curious cause I am on the west coast

Undergrad: Michigan State University
Major: Psychology
Cum. GPA: 3.6
Prereq. GPA: 3.6
1000+ hours of observation/paid pt tech
I received a letter that had to be signed, saying I accept the alternate list position, and sent back to the school within ten days

Undergrad: Michigan State University
Major: Psychology
Cum. GPA: 3.6
Prereq. GPA: 3.6
1000+ hours of observation/paid pt tech
I received a letter that had to be signed, saying I accept the alternate list position, and sent back to the school within ten days

Nice, I just got home from work and had the same thing in the mail. Alternate is better than rejection I guess :) I wonder how many they waitlist and if we can find out what number we are on the waitlist

I was also waitlisted for USF, seems like several people are alternates.

I also just received a letter in the mail informing me that I have been placed on the alternative list.

I got accepted to USF and am on the waitlist for Emory..which are both my top 2 choices. I'm trying to make a decision as to which program I should attend if I end up getting accepted to Emory. Does anyone have any helpful information or advice about either of these programs? I received a boatload of information on Emory at their interview day, but I only know certain things about USF just from researching. Please help!! :)