DPT Admissions Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sc_blanch

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!
Currently a senior in undergrad and feeling anxious about DPT applications. I've decided to take a gap year after I graduate to focus on applications without worrying about trying to complete undergrad classes at the same time, and to be able to travel/volunteer internationally. I'm trying to figure out how best to use this year to strengthen my application, so any and all suggestions are helpful!

cGPA: 3.45 (hoping to get it to 3.55 or 3.6 by then end of senior year)
pGPA: depends, likely around 3.4
Undergrad: Georgia Tech
Major: Psychology
Minors: spanish and physiology
GRE: 159(V) 163(Q) 4.5 (aw)

observation hours: 70 hours in 2 different settings (inpatient and pediatrics)

EC's:
Excel mentor (interdisciplinary program at Tech for students with developmental disabilities), relay for life exec, undergrad research in psychology and computer science (1 paper published for cs), career fair exec, freshmen mentorship program, international volunteer experience (2 months in a spanish speaking country)

my biggest concern is gpa and prereq gpa- I got c's in both chemistries and b's in both biologies. I should have a's in both physics but I'm taking physics 2 next semester so we'll see. I'm also worried I don't have enough shadowing hours and that's what I'm going to be focusing on next semester/this summer a lot but I would really appreciate any recommendations to improve my application!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!
Currently a senior in undergrad and feeling anxious about DPT applications. I've decided to take a gap year after I graduate to focus on applications without worrying about trying to complete undergrad classes at the same time, and to be able to travel/volunteer internationally. I'm trying to figure out how best to use this year to strengthen my application, so any and all suggestions are helpful!

cGPA: 3.45 (hoping to get it to 3.55 or 3.6 by then end of senior year)
pGPA: depends, likely around 3.4
Undergrad: Georgia Tech
Major: Psychology
Minors: spanish and physiology
GRE: 159(V) 163(Q) 4.5 (aw)

observation hours: 70 hours in 2 different settings (inpatient and pediatrics)

EC's:
Excel mentor (interdisciplinary program at Tech for students with developmental disabilities), relay for life exec, undergrad research in psychology and computer science (1 paper published for cs), career fair exec, freshmen mentorship program, international volunteer experience (2 months in a spanish speaking country)

my biggest concern is gpa and prereq gpa- I got c's in both chemistries and b's in both biologies. I should have a's in both physics but I'm taking physics 2 next semester so we'll see. I'm also worried I don't have enough shadowing hours and that's what I'm going to be focusing on next semester/this summer a lot but I would really appreciate any recommendations to improve my application!!
You should take a look at your last 60 credits GPA because this is what a lot of schools tend to look at during the application. It definitely helps if you had a couple of rough semesters when you first started. Your GRE is solid so I wouldn't worry about that. In terms of hours, I would say just to get over 100 before you send in your app. I know people with thousands of hours, but I have received two acceptances already and I only have ~150 hours. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're overthinking it. You're at a competitive undergrad with a solid GPA. Your pGPA is up against a bunch of sciences geeks. A 3.4 is great. Your GRE scores are probably in the top 20% on this site. As cburns suggested, I'd try to add a few more hours in other setting(s) (geriatrics, sports, ...).

Your C's are slightly concerning but schools know which undergrads are competitive and which ones are not. Chemistry at GA Tech is likely far more competitive than at Gwinett Technical College. The B's are fine. The A's in Physics are obviously great.

Honestly, I think one of the strongest part of your application will be the verbal GRE and the writing. I think that is viewed as more important than the quantitative portion. Also, I think you can spotlight the spanish minor, especially if you do some international volunteering.

Your app is strong. You can likely go where you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank y'all so much for these responses! I hear about how competitive it is to get into schools and it makes me nervous- especially about gpa and hours. But cburns what you said about hours, and how many you had makes me feel less stressed and like it's manageable- the people with thousands of hours were so intimidating to me, and that's not really a realistic goal for me either. And DPT2021 thanks for the insight about gpa and the app as a whole. These responses were so helpful and make me not as stressed going into a gap year and applications!

To give you some hope - You have almost the exact same stats as I have! A little summary:
cGPA: 3.49 (with C's in chemistry, B's in some biology classes, and B+'s in all of physics)
pGPA: 3.4-3.5, depends which school
GRE: 159V, 162Q, 5.0AW
In addition, I was also in a mentorship program, had international volunteer experience, and took a gap year after graduating to focus on increasing my hours and making my app the best it could possibly be.

And I've been accepted into one program so far and have interviews lined up for others! I made sure to apply relatively early in the cycle and submitted my PTCAS early August (like the first week of August). Got an interview invitation around mid September and during the interview I made sure to emphasize points about myself that would allow me to standout: such as my international volunteer experience and what I learned from it/how it inspired me, what I learned working as a PT aide in an outpatient clinic, etc.

Just focus on getting experience in another setting if you can, like a skilled nursing facility, and if you continue with your gap year plan you should look for jobs as PT aide! That's what I did during my gap year (in addition to observing in other settings) and I felt that really helped with having personal stories to talk about in my application essays and interviews and helped me get close to physical therapists who wrote me good letters of recommendation. If you have the financial capability to do so, you could even try retaking some chemistry courses during your gap year to try and raise your GPA, that's one thing I wished I did. And start on your apps early!! Make a list of all the programs you want to apply to and their essays they might require in addition to PTCAS' essay, so you can start on those even before PTCAS opens. Good luck! DM me if you have any additional questions, I remember how stressful the application process was and not believing my stats were good enough to get in somewhere.

To give you some hope - You have almost the exact same stats as I have! A little summary:
cGPA: 3.49 (with C's in chemistry, B's in some biology classes, and B+'s in all of physics)
pGPA: 3.4-3.5, depends which school
GRE: 159V, 162Q, 5.0AW
In addition, I was also in a mentorship program, had international volunteer experience, and took a gap year after graduating to focus on increasing my hours and making my app the best it could possibly be.

And I've been accepted into one program so far and have interviews lined up for others! I made sure to apply relatively early in the cycle and submitted my PTCAS early August (like the first week of August). Got an interview invitation around mid September and during the interview I made sure to emphasize points about myself that would allow me to standout: such as my international volunteer experience and what I learned from it/how it inspired me, what I learned working as a PT aide in an outpatient clinic, etc.

Just focus on getting experience in another setting if you can, like a skilled nursing facility, and if you continue with your gap year plan you should look for jobs as PT aide! That's what I did during my gap year (in addition to observing in other settings) and I felt that really helped with having personal stories to talk about in my application essays and interviews and helped me get close to physical therapists who wrote me good letters of recommendation. If you have the financial capability to do so, you could even try retaking some chemistry courses during your gap year to try and raise your GPA, that's one thing I wished I did. And start on your apps early!! Make a list of all the programs you want to apply to and their essays they might require in addition to PTCAS' essay, so you can start on those even before PTCAS opens. Good luck! DM me if you have any additional questions, I remember how stressful the application process was and not believing my stats were good enough to get in somewhere.
How much does it cost for whole DPT program for an international student in USA currently. Thanks

How much does it cost for whole DPT program for an international student in USA currently. Thanks
Hi, so for a state school international students would pay out-of-state tuition and if you're applying to a private school then you pay the same tuition as everyone else. I can only tell you about the schools I applied to, but the out-of-state and private school tuitions have been averaging close to $40k a year, which I think includes tuition, fees, and health insurance.