DPM/MD or DPM/DO dual degree??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KylieP54

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the DPM/MD or DPM/DO dual degree? Is it really as good as it sounds? can you do more since you are an MD or DO? any insight is greatly appreciated, thanks!
KylieP

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only an undergrad, but I did some searching on the web for your query. What I dug up was a brief mention of one at this address:

http://www.smartfoot.com/newsflash/newsflash050199LETTERS 6.html

The school of podiatry in question, California College of Podiatric Medicine, now CCPM at Samuel Merritt College, does not mention it at its website. The school supposedly offering the MD degree is in Costa Rica.

I hope this helps.

The school's website is now at:

http://www.samuelmerritt.edu/default.cfm

The answer to your question, there is a program that the
newyork School of podiatry. They run this program with a foreign
medical school called IUHS. But, please do your research, you may not be able to get liceansed in certain in many states, but if
you just want the MD and work as a DPM it's OK I guess. Now, you seem like a bright student. PLease read my post, don't get into podiatry it is a dying field. Apply to med school in the US if you can't get in then try the two established carribean med schools. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I am not a pod or pod student, but I researched it thoroughly before I decided that it was not for me. Anyway, as far as I know, there is no such thing as a DPM/DO program. As far as the DPM/MD, you will legally still be a podiatrist. There is nothing extra that a DPM/MD can do that a DPM can't do. You have to still use the DPM as part of your title, and you are not eligible to sit for the USMLE steps I-III, so you legally will not be licensed as an MD. In my opinion, this is a scam catered to those insecure DPM students who cannot live with not having "MD" somewhere after their name. It also makes you pay 6 years of tuition for a 4 year degree and have to live abroad for 2 of those 6 years.

Wow, thanks for all the information. I am having a very hard time finding anything on the topic. I am currently waitlisted at a DO school (LECOM), but if I don't happen to get off the list this year, I will attend their post-bacc. program and go next year. Some girl I met two days ago said she was getting her DPM/MD degree at Ohio College of Pod. medicine. I interviewed there and got in, but I remember asking admissions if I could do this, and she did not know anything about it. Sounded shady. Podiatry did seem soo great at first, but now I am seeing the grim side to it. Some podiatrists at the Cleveland foot and ankle clinic told this girl that podiatrists never report their real income, they easily make 200,000 a year (the ones that do surgery). So I don't know, I got some mixed vibes. thanks again,
KylieP

I am also interested in a dual MD/DPM degree, though my interests may be different than most. I have an uncle who is a podiatrist who has a handful of clinics and has a very good lifestyle. He has on numerous occassions requested that I take over his practice. The only catch is that he waited until I was in medical school to make his offer. I just completed my first year of medical school and have this hanging over my head. I was wondering if anybody knew of any podiatry residencies for people in my position. I have doubts that there are any people in my position though, as it seems that most people are trying to get out of podiatry and into medicine, whereas I am trying to get into podiatry. I guess the only other option would be to become an orthopedic surgeon, but I really don't want to go through the rigors of that long residency when I'm sure a podiatry one is much easier. Any help would be much appreciated. I suppose I would even be willing to take in one year of podiatry school if needed, but I am not dropping out of medical school to go to podiatry school. By the way, I have even called a couple of different state's podiatry residency programs, and they claim that I need a DPM to be admitted into any residency.

Why not just complete your MD or DO and take over his practice anyways, then hire on a DPM to work in an already-established practice. Maybe give him a cut of each patient or something, or a base salary.

The salary of an MD with a supplement from an established podiatric clinic would be a nice lifestyle.

Just a thought.

Originally posted by JKDMed
Why not just complete your MD or DO and take over his practice anyways, then hire on a DPM to work in an already-established practice. Maybe give him a cut of each patient or something, or a base salary.

The salary of an MD with a supplement from an established podiatric clinic would be a nice lifestyle.

Just a thought.

I think that's a great idea.

I hope I can put this crazy thinking to rest.

I am a DPM and, out of sheer necessity, am starting DO school in Pomona.

I don't mean to insult anyone out there who is thinking about pursuing this "dual degree", but why on earth would you want both degrees?? Having your MD or DO gives you instant clout and job opportunities. Having your DPM gives you, for the most part, debt and anxiety. If you've already started your first year of med school, don't even THINK of integrating podiatry into your curriculum. I mean, doesn't the whole thing sound a little fishy? Look at it for what it really is: A supposed back door into real medical school. That's all it is. And, worse, it likely won't get you legally licensed to practice anything BUT podiatry in the U.S. If you love the idea of podiatry so much, but want the flexibility and prestige of being a DO or MD then, for God's sake, just get your DO or MD and specialize in ortho foot and ankle!!! Or are you truly interested in learning how to cut crumbly toenails and make orthotics? I doubt it.

I started pod school in 1994 and this idea was around back then. Naturally, many students in my class were excited at the prospect (in my opinion, because they didn't actually want to be in pod school in the first place). And, like pretty much every other carrot dangled in our faces, this never came to fruition.

My first advice? Do not attend podiatry school unless you've done a whole lot of research. You absolutely need to talk to many, many podiatrists who have had a variety of training. DO NOT be swayed by these ridiculous "average salaries" that you keep reading about. FACT: Nobody who I keep in contact with from my graduating class is making anything near 100k. FACT: You will not be hired as a DPM in a hospital making 120k. FACT: You will most likely be an independent contractor slogging through mountains of toenails for some other DPM with no benefits, no perks and all of the responsibility of paying for your own healthcare, your own malpractice and the extra federal and state taxes that go along with being an independent contractor.

This is not to say that you can't make it as a podiatrist. Of course you can, but it's going to be much more difficult than practically any other field of medicine. Bottom line for me, there aren't any realistic job opportunities for DPM's when they finish residency. Succeeding in the health care industry today is hard enough without any opportunities. Take an hour or so and do some internet searches. Call a few medical headhunters. You're going to find plenty of jobs for MD's and DO's. You'll find tons of jobs for RN's, LVN's, PA's, PT's, OT's, etc. You will find dick squat for pods. Unfortunately, this is the reality.

My second piece of unsolicited advice is ask yourself if what you want is to be a "doctor" (so then you'll accept a spot in pod school, even though there are no standards for admission just to be called "doctor" when you graduate), a podiatrist or a physician. They're all mutually exclusive. To become a physician is a competitive adventure. To become a "doctor" is a sure route to misery. To become a podiatrist is probably a good thing as long as your expectations aren't too grandiose.

Good luck

We have a podiatry / dental clinic in my home-town (called the foot and dental clinic). The guy has both a DPM and DDS. Personally I find the idea strange--but that is another option.

Originally posted by irish79
We have a podiatry / dental clinic in my home-town (called the foot and dental clinic). The guy has both a DPM and DDS. Personally I find the idea strange--but that is another option.

Yeah, but I bet that guy got a DPM first, found out it wasn't worth it and went back and got a DDS. This as opposed to a dual degree when both are conferred at the same time. The foot and dental clinic does sound weird.

Okay so you want to know about MD/DPM or DO/DPM duals. Here is my ptich on it all. why not do an MD or DO program, do an orthopedics residency. Then after residency do a fellowship in foot and ankle. You are then very qualified to do anything a DPM can do, but can also do any other general ortho concerns, shoulder, hip, etc.

There are only two reasons why you would not want to do this:

1) Undergraduate = 4 years
MD or DO program = 4 years
Orthopedics residency = 5 years
Foot and ankle fellowship = 1 year
TOTAL 14 YEARS OF SCHOOL!

VERSUS

Undergraduate = 4 years
DPM program = 4 years
Surgical Podiatry residency = 3 years
TOTAL 11 YEARS OF SCHOOL!

I know a three year difference doesn't seem like a lot, but it all adds up as you get older, get married, have kids, have to move around, etc.

Now, reason number 2

2) You want to focus on other areas of medicine such as say perhaps be a family doc that can do podiatry procedures.

Unofrtunately, as far as I am aware, there are no combined degree programs, but is you do have an interest in other areas of ortho other than foot and ankle, I would definitely consider MD or DO then going through the hellacious task I set up above