Down to Last MCAT attempt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ballincereal3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short. I'm down to my last MCAT lifetime attempt and I'm kind of at a loss because I tried everything. Last MCAT attempt studied 9 months 3.5ish months content review 5.5 months of practice problems and tests which consisted of all uworld bank, all aamc work, more than 15x practice exams and at this point I invested too much life and struggle to not stay committed lol. So this time around I'm thinking about getting a 1 on 1 tutor. Anyone done this and it worked out? Looking for some options!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Need more info: What were the previous dates you tested, scores, and distributions?

Reactions: 1 users
Sunk cost fallacy. This is not a good track record. IMO anyone should be able to break a 500 after 2 years (even if they're working 80 hours a week and taking care of 4 children at home). It can be done strictly with memorization. Around 507+ is where you start to need some more critical thinking. The fact that you did all of UWorld and so many practice exams is worrying. I had a <2.8 GPA, did 30% Uworld, 3 AAMC Fls and scored competitively.

Retaking a board exam in med school is a red flag. It will substantially reduce your odds of matching a residency. You can also consider podiatry if you're into clipping toenails. Most schools average ~495 and take as low as 480 with scholarships!

• Dislike
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sunk cost fallacy. This is not a good track record. IMO anyone should be able to break a 500 after 2 years (even if they're working 80 hours a week and taking care of 4 children at home). It can be done strictly with memorization. Around 507+ is where you start to need some more critical thinking. The fact that you did all of UWorld and so many practice exams is worrying. I had a <2.8 GPA, did 30% Uworld, 3 AAMC Fls and scored competitively.

Retaking a board exam in med school is a red flag. It will substantially reduce your odds of matching a residency. You can also consider podiatry if you're into clipping toenails. Most schools average ~495 and take as low as 480 with
Umm MCAT and Boards are different exams, I know many people who got well below average MCAT scores but high on Boards. Thanks for advice tho.

Reactions: 1 users
Firstly, I want to say that I commend you for continuing to try to improve and I'm sorry because I can only imagine that these last 5 years must have been incredibly stressful. I'm gonna try to answer your original question, but you need to understand that your chances at a US MD/DO school with these scores are low.

Is it test anxiety? Do you think you need testing accommodations? Where do you think you have fallen short, because there's not an easy followed trend to your scores.

Your scores tell me that it's more than just lack of content knowledge and application. It's uncertain whether or not 1 on 1 tutoring can help you identify these sources.

I do wish you the best, and as you know there are many other ways you can still be in healthcare and help people, without being a physician.

Reactions: 1 user
Firstly, I want to say that I commend you for continuing to try to improve and I'm sorry because I can only imagine that these last 5 years must have been incredibly stressful. I'm gonna try to answer your original question, but you need to understand that your chances at a US MD/DO school with these scores are low.

Is it test anxiety? Do you think you need testing accommodations? Where do you think you have fallen short, because there's not an easy followed trend to your scores.

Your scores tell me that it's more than just lack of content knowledge and application. It's uncertain whether or not 1 on 1 tutoring can help you identify these sources.

I do wish you the best, and as you know there are many other ways you can still be in healthcare and help people, without being a physician.
Yeah I ended up having two interviews this cycle and I'm on WL yeah I already know it's because of my mcat. I dont really get testing anxiety, but yes thanks for advice!

With so many attempts at MCAT, its a huge risk to go into massive debt and then not be able to pass Steps 1,2, & 3, and then board certification which is what you will need in order to be eligible to practice.

Strongly consider cutting your losses before getting into a situation where you will have > 150,000 and no way to pay it back.

If you do decide to take it one last time, I hope, for YOUR sake that you don’t pass cos that will take the decision out of your hands.

• Dislike
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.