Double Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaverickBLUE

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it actually necessary to have a double major? it is alot more work than just one but if it will boost my chance of getting into Opt school then im all for it. but is it worth it? and what do you recommend i major in? i was thinking biology and finance major.

Members don't see this ad.

is it actually necessary to have a double major? it is alot more work than just one but if it will boost my chance of getting into Opt school then im all for it. but is it worth it? and what do you recommend i major in? i was thinking biology and finance major.

I thought about getting bio and pysch majors. I'm glad I didn't, because I would have graduated a year later from college if I did that. I ended up with a bio major and public health minor. Unless your gpa/oat scores are really low, you shouldn't have trouble getting into opt school. good luck.

Just do one major well. Biology is standard, relevant, and will do the job. Finance and prerequisites will be just as good. Above all, your grades and the OAT will be the most important factors in the academic part of your application. I don't think a double major will appreciably boost your chances. I personally don't see much of a point unless you're truly interested in both subjects and don't mind spending extra time in undergrad, but if not for personal interest, I don't see any compelling reason to double up.

thank you for the advice i was seriously considering doing a double major because i thought it was pretty much required. if any one lives in the arlington,tx area could you please pm me. i am moving there in august and will be looking for another job as an optometric assistant. if it is also close to the university of texas campus that would be great too! thanks again :)