Double Gloving - Where do you wear your larger glove?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XoQo

PGY1 Retractor
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
...question been on my mind for a while...and came to mind after reading the thread re: cramps. Didn't want to hijack that thread...so...here we go.

When you double glove...which do you tend to do (and why?)

#1 - regular glove size inside, 1/2 size larger glove ("larger")on outside
#2 - regular outside, larger inside
#3 - regular on both inside and outside

I noticed that at my institution most of the residents and attendings tended to do #1 or #2. I've tried all three (out of curiosity) and find that #2 feels more comfy on long cases but with a tad less tactile sensation + dexterity than #1 or #3. #3 was uncomfortable if it was a really long case.

Members don't see this ad.

Most people will do #2.

I was kinda in-between sizes so I wear 8s and 8s.

Now I am just a fourth year, so i am no one to ask.... But.....

I am a 8 protegrity first, then a 7.5 Triflex. I was always told to go the actual size on the outside.

I tried them all myself and that is the most comfortable for my (lack of) skill level.

Members don't see this ad :)
I do #2 - I wear a 6.5 inside and 6 outside (6 is my regular glove size).

I'm a 9 and no hospital on the planet stocks 9.5's, so its 9 over 9 for me.

Clear up all the confusion and just don't double glove :)

6.5 inside/6 outside

Why, oh why won't they make gloves with extra-long fingers? I have to wear a size 7 at least to get them long enough so they don't restrict my range of motion. And then they're so wide they just flop around and interfere with knot-tying.

The plain Triflex gloves have long skinny fingers, but my institution doesn't stock them. So it's been very frustrating trying to find gloves I like.

I'm a 9 and no hospital on the planet stocks 9.5's, so its 9 over 9 for me.

Holy crap! I wear 8's and I remember when I did OB my resident looks at my hands and then looks at this lady whose cervix I'm about to check and says "This is going to hurt."

I feel sorry for your OB patients.

Holy crap! I wear 8's and I remember when I did OB my resident looks at my hands and then looks at this lady whose cervix I'm about to check and says "This is going to hurt."

Yeah, I felt sorry for them too. Thankfully I was with an intern with small hands and we were able to trade stuff off. She didn't like scrubbing in, so I took all of her OR time while she hung out on the floor. ... and she thought she was getting the better end of the deal :idea:

8 protegrity inside, 7.5 triflex out

That might've been my entertainment for the morning. Glad I wasn't drinking milk.

Double 8s work fine for me.

You can always consider a single pair of ortho gloves. I always felt like they were sort of a 1.5. Not as thin as a single glove but not as thick as a double glove. I bet the GS attendings would give you crap about wearing them though.

So...Colbert had Cookie Monster on the Report tonight. Did anyone catch it? That guy's the funniest thing on TV since Chappelle's show.

i usually start with a Durex, and then a Trojan

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I must say that I am pretty surprised at the sizes thrown around here... I am about 5'4 and I wear size 7 (and that feels tight). I am not overweight or buffed up at all. I thought most surgeons wore at least a couple of sizes larger than me... who would have thought!:cool:

I double using the same size. Using the bigger size first then smaller on top was too tight and the next size up too big, using the same size twice fits just right.