DO's and USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idiopathic

Newly Minted
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When did the majority of you take/plan to take this test? I guess we dont have to take it anytime, but did you feel the need to take it at any particular time?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been told that you should take both exams within one week of each other. The students in the class ahead of me said that those that performed the best this year took both exams within one week (I think someone at our school was doing a study of this, which is why they came up with this recommendation). The reasoning was that if you wait too long to take the next test (USMLE or COMLEX), you start to get out of that study mode you had when you took the first exam.

i agree with the one week thing. i got my orange ticket on tuesday and called and got my date of June 15..i heard that the closer it is the better you will do because you havent reached the point of info leakage out of your head.

only 150+ days to go

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the usmle a week before the comlex with no problems. Most of my classmates took it a few days before or a few days after. This is what I would highly recommend. Some of my classmates decided to wait a few months after to take it and most of them, not all, wished that they would have scheduled it at about the same time as the comlex. They found it difficult to find enough time to study the way they wanted to because of the workload during their clinical rotations. They also realized that the time you know the basic science material the best is right after you complete your second year, not 6 months after clinicals. Whether you take it before or after the comlex IMO makes no difference. Be aware that after you take the first exam that you will be completely exausted and it will be difficult to continue to study at the same pace. Not to mention the feeling of "I can't believe I have to take another licensing exam next week". It really wears you down.
Hang in there.

Taking mine about 2 weeks after COMLEX.

Reason: I'll spend a week or so learning stuff that's tested more on USMLE. Then I'll spend a week learning all the stuff that, after taking the COMLEX, I'm going to be thinking "Damn, I should have learned more about _______. If only I had a few more days."

I figure 2 weeks isn't so far out that my pilot light will go out from it.

Do NOT base your USMLE studying off of the redundant material presented on your COMLEX. Study what you think will be important as presented in your review books, not topics that the osteopathic board question writers thought were important. Just a suggestion from someone who went through it.

Example: COMLEX = assloads of micro. USMLE = micro is lower yeild. Easy to become mislead by what COMLEX tests more heavily.

Thanks for the advice, VenT

I kinda realized how that post sounded after I sent it, but what I'm really getting at is that the first test may highlight a few of my deficiencies for me, not that I would base what proportions I study for one on the proportions that the other test had.

Hey, since you brought it up, :D , could you give me your take on some other subjects tested on COMLEX vs USMLE? Please?

There is so much misinformation out there on this--I wonder why is it so hard to find out what we need to know for these tests?!

Tanks!

I took the USMLE two weeks after I took the COMLEX. I spent those two weeks studying biochemistry, statistics, and pharmacology. Biochem and stats because they are tested more heavily on COMLEX and pharm because I felt that was my weakest subject area. I did well on both tests. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Maire

Originally posted by Maire
Biochem and stats because they are tested more heavily on COMLEX

Maire

I have to disagree with this. I had 1 stats question on the comlex and very few biochem questions. The usmle on the other hand had many questions on those subjects.

I think it was a typo by the poster...he/she wrote that he took the USMLE after the COMLEX, and that he/she spent the extra time on biochem and stats. i dont think anyone would assert that the COMLEX has more biostats on it;)

Biochem and stats because they are tested more heavily on COMLEX

I think it was a typo by the poster...

Dear Idiopathic,

You are right, I meant USMLE, not COMLEX. I guess I need more sleep. I'm usually a better proofreader!

Maire