Don't have much research experience -- Masters vs. Lab Tech?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numbersloth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at a small liberal arts college that generally doesn't encourage year-long research (only summer research is usually available). Based on my limited research experience, I think I would like to get an MD-PhD. I know that I need more experience for this to happen. Would I be better off in a masters program where I can get mentored and write a thesis or as a lab tech at a university? I have a grant for the masters program so cost isn't an issue.

Members don't see this ad.

If cost isn't an issue, I would go where you have the most research autonomy, which will probably be the masters program. Just make sure that the classes won't hurt your GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I read that you're interested in genetics. I've been in a genetics lab for two years (part time + summers) and I personally think a lab technician would expose you more to research. Although I'm not in med school now, if you have any questions about genetics lab I think I could help.