Funded Masters vs. Research Associate Position for Gap Years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EternallyEnvious

Reaction score
As title states, currently have to decide between a fully funded masters program in a sort of strange interdisciplinary program in the U.K. versus a paid full-time research position in a lab at Northwestern in a chemical biology lab? For further context, my gpa is sitting around 3.98, I will have around 2000 research hours by the time I graduate, but no publications or posters (my lab will *hopefully* submit a paper with my name on it in a few months). Which would be better from a career perspective for an MD/PhD, I understand that masters are not the most popular, but here I would receive funding to live and study in the U.K. for the masters, but I don't think I would be as productive from a research perspective.

Members don't see this ad.

Many people get research positions and many people do a masters. Both groups of people get into medical school. A fully funded masters in the UK is a unique experience which I am sure will appeal to medical schools, so if that is what you would prefer, I would do it.

Tell us more about this UK program. What is involved? Education in the UK is very different than in the US, and I'm not sure the UK masters will hold value in the US.