Dont Even Consider Mcphs-worcester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sadly it sounds as if compounding is dying. Some of the pharmaceutical companies see it as a threat to their profits. Look at the FDA's action at Wyeth's request against bio-indenticle hormone replacement and compounding. Cause we all know Wyeth's hormones derived from horse urine are FDA approved and must therefore be safer/better/more effective than bio-identicles.

The Mcphs curriculum seems like a model of how Wyeth would want pharmacy school designed, no compounding to be found.

You are thinking the way media wants you to think. I have a completely different perspective on FDA/drug companies thanks to pharmacy school. I'm sure greatdeals can agree on the perspective change also. Not to get into the topic you mentioned in detail I would just like to say that FDA/drug companies are not necessarily our enemies, there is probably a really good reason why they don't wanna take certain actions.

We do have lots of compounding in pharmaceutics. We also get to practice those skills in lab. Also, compounding is definitely not dying. Theres many factors that go into making a specialty pharmacy successful.

P.S I wasn't trying to be mean in any way just sharing what I have learned :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi there,

I think the truth about MCPHS, both Worcester and Boston, lies somewhere between the two stated extremities (positive and negative)---I have heard both.

As with all arguments there is a degree of bias instilled. I will believe what I hear when I encounter it. To think any school is a utopia is sincerely naive. I have studied at many universities both private and public (including NYU & Rutgers). They ALL have issues (major issues). A simple way to look at academia is, there is no substitution for hard work.

I would have to concur with this... however when the attrition rate is above a certain percentage... thats when you have to worry. My school ACP was recently put on probabtion for the high attrition rate, prehaps one of the highest in the nation, among professional students not to mention years 1-2 prepharm. Granted it was a 0-6 program (still is even though they are saying its 2+4 now). There is always two sides of a story... in my schools case they are a 0-6 program... one could say that some students generally shouldnt be in the professional program.

PMP85, I am just trying to give people a heads up as to what they may be in for. I thought the same way that you did before I came here. Throughout my life, if I or anyone around me had received a bad grade (such as a zero) it was usually always because they didn't work hard enough. That is why I didn't listen to students telling me not to come to MCP-Worcester. I always just assumed they were doing something wrong. I never thought that a program could be that incompetent to lose students who didn't deserve it. I think most people feel this way. But, I am warning everyone that the problem at MCP-Worcester is in the faulty curriculum. With 30% of the class having left, that means 70% is still here and surviving. So, I wouldn't be surprised if most people tell you differently from Worcester. I said nothing when I passed the first year as well. I didn't want to piss anyone off and felt REALLY lucky to have just found myself moving on. I must emphasize the word LUCKY, as that is really the case here at Worcester.
To respond to why I haven't been on the forum in two years is simple. All I have done is studied over the past 2 years. I joined this forum to find out information about MCP-Worcester and wish I had saw more posts like this. I have nothing to gain by telling everyone here about MCP-Worcester.
And yes, I am just one voice. Listen to many others when making your decision. Any school will take hard work, however I believe in most other schools that hard work will be recognized.
As to the person who said I was just disgruntled. Your damn right I am. I have studied over the past 2 years with no other possible option but getting through this program in 3 years. Now I have to find a way to support myself for one year with no money, no loans available to me, no health care, no housing, and no current job. Don't be fooled that when you are left back 1 year in a 3 year program, that its the same as having gone to a 4 year program.
TO EVERYONE: If you have another school that has accepted you then don't think twice. DONT COME TO MCP-WORCESTER, unless absolutely dire circumstances force you to do it. By the way the Boston campus is not this bad. Students have failed out of Worcester and gone to Boston and have said it is fine.

PLEASE AS A CURRENT P1 STUDENT AM ADVISING EVERYONE NOT TO COME TO MCPHS WORCESTER. All the bad story you are hearing is true. Everyone in my study group wants to transfer and hsa regretted coming. The faculty fake being nice to you. All they want is your money.

Members don't see this ad :)
PLEASE AS A CURRENT P1 STUDENT AM ADVISING EVERYONE NOT TO COME TO MCPHS WORCESTER. All the bad story you are hearing is true. Everyone in my study group wants to transfer and hsa regretted coming. The faculty fake being nice to you. All they want is your money.

Why the hell do you care if they're genuinely nice to you? Their job is to get you a Pharm.D such that you can take and pass NAPLEX such that you can take whatever state exam you need to take such that you can become a RPh.

They all just want your money. That's no newsflash.

So, I assume you've read all 3 years worth of my posts on this very topic?--If so, I'm glad you were able to enlightened us with your astute observations. To this very day I ask myself what was I thinking when I decided to attend a school that has a 98%+ passing rate on the NAPLEX and almost 200 years of worth of history behind its name? They must be doing something totally wrong...

As a current P3, I continue to stand by all that I have posted in the previous years. The program only gives to you what you put into it.

FYI: Complaining on a public forum does nothing to help you nor anyone else. If you happen to hate the program so much why not leave (if you haven't already done so)? Many would agree that you'd only be doing our overcrowded profession a favor.

As I current P3 and in agreement with pmp85, I think you should leave the program if you are having such a hard time :xf:.I have had the time of my life at this school and will defend it till I die. So stop being immature and go study instead of complaining about absolutely nothing.

As I current P3 and in agreement with pmp85, I think you should leave the program if you are having such a hard time :xf:.I have had the time of my life at this school and will defend it till I die. So stop being immature and go study instead of complaining about absolutely nothing.

Its amazing how JIHAIN can draw such definitive conclusions--having been here for a total of four (4) weeks and taken all of two (2) exams. :laugh:

after reading the majority of the posts in this thread i decided to make this school a backup. i didn't know it was this blatant. i even regret applying there. i should have applied to the Boston campus instead.

after reading the majority of the posts in this thread i decided to make this school a backup. i didn't know it was this blatant. i even regret applying there. i should have applied to the Boston campus instead.

Huh, say whaaa??? Both the Boston and Worcester programs share faculty, rotation sites, resources, etc. Not going to a program because someone (with ZERO credibility, might I add) on a public forum dislikes the school should not determine YOUR decision on program selection. For every anti-MCPHS post here, there are three positive posts on this thread--read before you type.

The only difference between programs is duration (2y10m vs 6y)--some would also argue the intensity of the programs as well but that's a different discussion all together.

After reading some of your posts

"if none of these options above suite you then you can wipe your butt with the degree."

"it's not who you know, it is who you blow :D"

Even I regret that you applied to MCPHS :laugh:.

After reading some of your posts

"if none of these options above suite you then you can wipe your butt with the degree."

"it's not who you know, it is who you blow :D"

Even I regret that you applied to MCPHS :laugh:.

i am serious on this one. take a look at the original post and the ones that follow it. i didn't know this school has the highest dropout rate in the nation, and their curriculum is designed to fail students in their second year.

Huh, say whaaa??? Both the Boston and Worcester programs share faculty, rotation sites, resources, etc. Not going to a program because someone (with ZERO credibility, might I add) on a public forum dislikes the school should not determine YOUR decision on program selection. For every anti-MCPHS post here, there are three positive posts on this thread--read before you type.

The only difference between programs is duration (2y10m vs 6y)--some would also argue the intensity of the programs as well but that's a different discussion all together.

i read the majority of the posts starting from 2007, and i can see that each year new students update it because they failed. most of the negative comments were from 2007 so i am not aware of any recent changes that took care of the issues.

i read the majority of the posts starting from 2007, and i can see that each year new students update it because they failed. most of the negative comments were from 2007 so i am not aware of any recent changes that took care of the issues.

First off, with that attitude you'd be doing us a favor by not coming here. Simply put, stop complaining and if you did apply, pull your application because we don't want your type here.

Secondly, why are you so afraid of failing? Perhaps you feel as though you can't hack it? Or do you just feel as though a doctorate in a professional discipline should be handed to you?? Seriously, take a step back and comprehend/understand what you're typing. Remember what this profession entails and all the flack pharmacists get because programs are supposedly not difficult enough and are "passing idiots."

Thirdly, who made you Mr. Connoisseur of ALL pharmacy programs? How the hell do you know that the grass is greener at Northeastern or UConn or URI or Rutgers or any of the other 100+ pharmacy programs in the US? That is exactly my point, little snot-nose kids (like yourself) who come on this public forum and bash schools (that they've never attended/seen/read about) like they're the accreditation body. Riddle me this: How are you qualified to make such a bold statement? Guess that makes your opinion really valuable--thanks. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, with that attitude you'd be doing us a favor by not coming here. Simply put, stop complaining and if you did apply, pull your application because we don't want your type here.

Secondly, why are you so afraid of failing? Perhaps you feel as though you can't hack it? Or do you just feel as though a doctorate in a professional discipline should be handed to you?? Seriously, take a step back and comprehend/understand what you're typing. Remember what this profession entails and all the flack pharmacists get because programs are supposedly not difficult enough and are "passing idiots."

Thirdly, who made you Mr. Connoisseur of ALL pharmacy programs? How the hell do you know that the grass is greener at Northeastern or UConn or URI or Rutgers or any of the other 100+ pharmacy programs in the US? That is exactly my point, little snot-nose kids (like yourself) who come on this public forum and bash schools (that they've never attended/seen/read about) like they're the accreditation body. Riddle me this: How are you qualified to make such a bold statement? Guess that makes your opinion really valuable--thanks. :thumbdown:

my conclusions were mainly based on this thread alone. i am afraid because a 5 minute lab test determines if you pass/fail. if you are a current student then you should tell us the negatives and positives of this school.

i am serious on this one. take a look at the original post and the ones that follow it. i didn't know this school has the highest dropout rate in the nation, and their curriculum is designed to fail students in their second year. i read the majority of the posts starting from 2007, and i can see that each year new students update it because they failed. most of the negative comments were from 2007 so i am not aware of any recent changes that took care of the issues.

Let me reply to each one of your concerns without getting angry, wish me luck :luck:.

A. Highest drop out rate in the nation: The drop out rate doesn't signify that the school is "bad" and looking for money, it tells me that the school does a good job of failing out people who:

1. Don't study/Fail exams, 2. Act unprofessionally

Would you want your pharmacist to give you the wrong medication and act unprofessionally when you are getting a prescription at the pharmacy ? I don't think so.

The students that study and devote themselves to the profession DO NOT just fail out, I can give you 180+ examples of students that made it through to p3 year. Most students leave the program because they cant handle the course load or they have personal issues at home such as:

1. Death of a family member, 2. Pregnancy

Its not like that doesn't happen at other schools in the country.

B. curriculum DESIGNED to fail students in the second year: Thats the most bogus thing I have ever heard. Students fail out in the second year because this is the year where we learn 90% of what we will need to know in order to be a pharmacist and pass the NAPLEX. No one said learning about 4-5 disease states, their treatments, drug doses, duration of treatment and drug side effects was easy. The curriculum has been laid out in front of you. If you think it is too much to handle then go to a 4 year program it is your choice.
Not too many people fail out in P1 year because you learn background and general pharmacy stuff during that year. Also, not too many people fail out in P3 year because its all rotations. So if you think about it, P2 year just has a bad reputation for no reason. What people learn over the course of 2-3 years at a 4 year program, we have to learn in 1 year but you already knew that because you made a concious decision to come to an accelerated program instead of a 4 year program, Right?

C. "i can see that each year new students update it because they failed. most of the negative comments were from 2007 so i am not aware of any recent changes that took care of the issues":

Ofcourse people fail every year. Ofcourse they will be bitter and come to the forumn to badmouth the school so that fewer people apply so they have a better chance of getting a seat when the repeat the next year. Dont pass judgement based on what you FEEL from reading outdated posts.

Allright I am done arguing. Hopefully this will help students that want to apply to the school in prospective year. Thank you all for taking the time to read the novel I just wrote. :sleep:

my conclusions were mainly based on this thread alone. i am afraid because a 5 minute lab test determines if you pass/fail. if you are a current student then you should tell us the negatives and positives of this school. .

In practice you will have to make decisions about drugs that can affect peoples lives, especially in the ER or ICUs. You will have less than 5 minutes to make a sound medical decision to ensure the patients safety etc. PA lab is there for a reason. I know 0 people that failed PA lab in my class. Im sick of your posts so im going to let someone else reply to this comment in detail.

Last edited:
in the past, i had few professors who expected us to memorize every detail in the book to get an A. none of her notes showed up on the exams. after reading the posts here they reminded me of this professor and i don't want to attend a school that hires many professors like this. i know worcester is not like this, so now i feel much better.

Let me reply to each one of your concerns without getting angry, wish me luck :luck:.

A. Highest drop out rate in the nation: The drop out rate doesn't signify that the school is "bad" and looking for money, it tells me that the school does a good job of failing out people who:

1. Don't study/Fail exams, 2. Act unprofessionally

Would you want your pharmacist to give you the wrong medication and act unprofessionally when you are getting a prescription at the pharmacy ? I don't think so.

The students that study and devote themselves to the profession DO NOT just fail out, I can give you 180+ examples of students that made it through to p3 year. Most students leave the program because they cant handle the course load or they have personal issues at home such as:

B. curriculum DESIGNED to fail students in the second year: Thats the most bogus thing I have ever heard. Students fail out in the second year because this is the year where we learn 90% of what we will need to know in order to be a pharmacist and pass the NAPLEX. No one said learning about 4-5 disease states, their treatments, drug doses, duration of treatment and drug side effects was easy. The curriculum has been laid out in front of you. If you think it is too much to handle then go to a 4 year program it is your choice.
Not too many people fail out in P1 year because you learn background and general pharmacy stuff during that year. Also, not too many people fail out in P3 year because its all rotations. So if you think about it, P2 year just has a bad reputation for no reason. What people learn over the course of 2-3 years at a 4 year program, we have to learn in 1 year but you already knew that because you made a concious decision to come to an accelerated program instead of a 4 year program, Right?

C. "i can see that each year new students update it because they failed. most of the negative comments were from 2007 so i am not aware of any recent changes that took care of the issues":

Ofcourse people fail every year. Ofcourse they will be bitter and come to the forumn to badmouth the school so that fewer people apply so they have a better chance of getting a seat when the repeat the next year. Dont pass judgement based on what you FEEL from reading outdated posts.

Allright I am done arguing. Hopefully this will help students that want to apply to the school in prospective year. Thank you all for taking the time to read the novel I just wrote. :sleep:

In practice you will have to make decisions about drugs that can affect peoples lives, especially in the ER or ICUs. You will have less than 5 minutes to make a sound medical decision to ensure the patients safety etc. PA lab is there for a reason. I know 0 people that failed PA lab in my class. Im sick of your posts so im going to let someone else reply to this comment in detail.

The school should not be looking to fail people out. If anything they should do everything to prevent someone from failing out. At Touro NY, we started with 66 students and we lost 2 students. Both left for personal issues (sick family members), and one of them ended up transferring into a pharmacy school in her home state.

You cannot get an F at Touro, if you do get an F, you gotta take remediation, which is whatever the professor or the academic committee comes up with to make sure you understand the material so you can continue on. You cannot get more than 3 Ds (I really don't see how you can get 3 Ds, pretty much impossible.) And you need to go below a 2.0 GPA in 2 consecutive semesters to fail out.

The school should not be looking to fail people out. If anything they should do everything to prevent someone from failing out. At Touro NY, we started with 66 students and we lost 2 students. Both left for personal issues (sick family members), and one of them ended up transferring into a pharmacy school in her home state.

The professors definitely make an effort to make sure people dont fail out. Some professors have extra help sessions and they are always available to meet or talk to you (even if the professor is DE'd from the manchester campus). If the students are too shy to utilize the services, then its their own fault because the student services department does a great job of putting all the resources out there. There are also peer tutors available upon request that can help struggling students. The school can also set up paid tutoring for students that require more help.

We have counseling services and mandatory meetings with faculty advisors and the dean if someone ends up with a low GPA. What I was trying to say is that the reason why people fail out is NOT because of the professors, its because the student themselves either dont take the courses seriously or have personal issues.

Also that is not a fair comparison (the 66 student story). Heres why:

1. Touro is a 4 year program
2. We have a bigger class (around 200 students).

So I would avoid comparing 2 very different programs, im sure everyone will agree with that.

You cannot get an F at Touro, if you do get an F, you gotta take remediation, which is whatever the professor or the academic committee comes up with to make sure you understand the material so you can continue on. You cannot get more than 3 Ds (I really don't see how you can get 3 Ds, pretty much impossible.) And you need to go below a 2.0 GPA in 2 consecutive semesters to fail out.

Our GPA requirement is 2.2. You go on academic probation if it falls below that number for one semester and you are offered all the couseling and stuff. If you remain below 2.2, you are asked to repeat courses. And honestly after going through the program it is "impossible" for someone who is competent to get that horrible of a GPA. There has to be some sort of underlying issue that needs to be addressed.

Thats great that your schools doesn't fail any students. So that means that ANYONE can just come to Touro and end up as a pharmacist. I wouldn't trust such a student with my medications, I dont know about any others.

Believe it or not, pharmacy is a very competative field. Id rather have people that love the profession and get good grades during school to be my peers in the field, not people that get F's or 3D's, oh wait, they cant get 3 D's at your school because its "impossible". Im done arguing about schools this is going to be my last post. If anyone applying to the school has any REAL problems send me a private message.

Wow, such passion you guys at Worcester to defend your school! Good for you! For the rest of us....WHO CARES?? Obviously there are problems at EVERY school but to get that bent out of shape over someone in your school voicing their opinions is crazy.----Just an outsider looking in.

Most students leave the program because they cant handle the course load or they have personal issues at home such as:

If the woman is having complications with her pregnancy, she is covered under the ADA. If the pregnancy means she can't be around certain drugs, then she is covered under FMLA.

Either way, if pregnant women are systemically leaving your program, it's prolly something a lawyer would have no problem suing y'all over.

If the woman is having complications with her pregnancy, she is covered under the ADA. If the pregnancy means she can't be around certain drugs, then she is covered under FMLA.

Either way, if pregnant women are systemically leaving your program, it's prolly something a lawyer would have no problem suing y'all over.

I meant there have been girls in the past that got pregnant while in school and had to "drop out" to go have a BABY! Why are Y'ALL trying to pick a fight with me for defending my school ? You'd do the same if you were in my shoes :)

I meant there have been girls in the past that got pregnant while in school and had to "drop out" to go have a BABY! Why are Y'ALL trying to pick a fight with me for defending my school ? You'd do the same if you were in my shoes :)

Ha, Fidodido, you keep saying what I'm thinkin'!

I'm a P1 and married, and yes precaution is taken because I know pregnancy/babies would interfere with this tough program and I don't want to drop out. But "accidents" (beautiful gift-surprises?) happen, and I would really try to stick through it, but holy cow I bet I wouldn't make it.

The average age of our class is 26. There are plenty of people well over that age. In other words, they have families/want families/have aging and ailing parents/etc etc. The drop out rate is due to a lot of personal reasons that you generally don't see in college-aged kids and I bet the fact that it's an accelerated program has a lot to do with it, too. No rest for the weary!

And isn't FMLA only when you're employed? And what's ADA?

From what I have been told, although most of fmla is for employed people, there are passages in the bill that are broader in scope to prevent discrimination. Ada is Americans with disabilities act and is applicable if there are complications, eg you are pregnant and have a complication, by law they have to accomodate you.

PLEASE GO SOME PLACE ELSE!! This school has crushed so many students dreams including mine. PLEASE, DON'T COME TO MCPHS-WORCESTER.

MCPHS-WORCESTER IS SIMPLY CORRUPTED, HEARTLESS, AND HAS CRUSHED MANY STUDENTS DREAM FOR NOTHING... :mad:

remember, any place is better then MCPHS-Worcester!!!!

Last edited:
PLEASE GO SOME PLACE ELSE!! This school has crushed so many students dreams including mine. PLEASE, DON'T COME TO MCPHS-WORCESTER.

MCPHS-WORCESTER IS SIMPLY CORRUPTED, HEARTLESS, AND HAS CRUSHED MANY STUDENTS DREAM FOR NOTHING... :mad:

remember, any place is better then MCPHS-Worcester!!!!

Should have worked harder. Perfecting your grammar would have been a start...

Just thought I'd add my two cents as I plan on applying to this school to start in 2011 as one of my top three. After working in a Worcester pharmacy with MCHPS students while going to WPI I found that most had nothing but good things to say about the drive of the faculty to have their students succeed. The caliber of students that this institution produces does seem quite high and the NAPLEX scores reflect that. I for one am absolutely thrilled to be entering a field that is this challenging and rewarding with the possiblity of going to a school that pushes you to excellence. Best of luck to you all.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd add my two cents as I plan on applying to this school to start in 2011 as one of my top three. After working in a Worcester pharmacy with MCHPS students while going to WPI I found that most had nothing but good things to say about the drive of the faculty to have their students succeed. The caliber of students that this institution produces does seem quite high and the NAPLEX scores reflect that. I for one am absolutely thrilled to be entering a field that is this challenging and rewarding with the possiblity of going to a school that pushes you to excellence. Best of luck to you all.

And we would love to have positive and motivated people like you there!!

The posts before about dream crushing and what-not...this school is what you make it. If you decide to go out drinking with your buddies instead of studying for your professional degree, then yes, your dreams will be crushed.

I for one am doing excellent, and the people I surround myself with are going to end up having a higher GPA than in undergrad. That says something about how much effort those "crushed" people are putting in. We're all doing wonderfully because our world revolves around academics right now.

I'd love to see some concrete examples from these negative people...but nothing is there. I study for at LEAST 9 hours per exam (which sounds hideous, but it's actually relaxed with TV time in there, too. The trick is to not cram the night before. That's all) How about your study habits? Academic advising said over and over and over that their door is open if anyone needs any help. This school is AMAZING.

The end! :laugh:

And we would love to have positive and motivated people like you there!!

The posts before about dream crushing and what-not...this school is what you make it. If you decide to go out drinking with your buddies instead of studying for your professional degree, then yes, your dreams will be crushed.

I for one am doing excellent, and the people I surround myself with are going to end up having a higher GPA than in undergrad. That says something about how much effort those "crushed" people are putting in. We're all doing wonderfully because our world revolves around academics right now.

I'd love to see some concrete examples from these negative people...but nothing is there. I study for at LEAST 9 hours per exam (which sounds hideous, but it's actually relaxed with TV time in there, too. The trick is to not cram the night before. That's all) How about your study habits? Academic advising said over and over and over that their door is open if anyone needs any help. This school is AMAZING.

The end! :laugh:

Even though I am not in MCPHS, nor am I applying there, the sentiment of this post is spot on.

Why the hell do you care if they're genuinely nice to you? Their job is to get you a Pharm.D such that you can take and pass NAPLEX such that you can take whatever state exam you need to take such that you can become a RPh.

They all just want your money. That's no newsflash.

But...but...but they said they were my friends! They told me that we'd go out to a baseball game and then go get ice cream afterward!

OP-Sweet Republican Jesus, kid. I've seen enough of these stupid "Pharmacy school stole my soul!" posts. Last time I checked, you don't attend the Shang Tsung School of Pharmacy. If you hate it that much, drop out and hit the reset button on your pharmacy career by starting over at a new school. Put up or shut up.

But...but...but they said they were my friends! They told me that we'd go out to a baseball game and then go get ice cream afterward!

OP-Sweet Republican Jesus, kid. I've seen enough of these stupid "Pharmacy school stole my soul!" posts. Last time I checked, you don't attend the Shang Tsung School of Pharmacy. If you hate it that much, drop out and hit the reset button on your pharmacy career by starting over at a new school. Put up or shut up.

I like yo style kid...:smuggrin:

Are you guys really dropping out 50 students of each incoming class before you graduate? Is that 50 out of 200 so you graduate with 150 or do you start with 250 and end up with 200? Still that is like a 20% dropout rate under the best case scenario if the numbers are accurate.

I see those numbers (if they are true) and think there is either a problem with admissions or that the dropout rate is by design. My program is also accelerated and has an on-time graduation rate of something like 95% and most of those are for non-academic reasons. I'm just wondering why there is such a huge difference in the dropout rates.

lmfao @ shang tsung school of pharmacy. That made my day.

this is a 6-year program and they should have very few seats open if this program is excellent. this year, there are as many as 200 open seats. did they fail 200 students last year? i am certain that students take organic chemistry in their 3rd year. 200!!!!!! if this program is great then why are there many open seats?

this is a 6-year program and they should have very few seats open if this program is excellent. this year, there are as many as 200 open seats. did they fail 200 students last year? i am certain that students take organic chemistry in their 3rd year. 200!!!!!! if this program is great then why are there many open seats?

First off, I'd like to thank you for proving my point about individuals posting on this forum who have not a clue what they are speaking about. We can now all be thankful for your previous postings and their absolute assertiveness--as if YOU were the ultimate authority on pharmacy schools.

To correct your absolute ignorance:

1) MCPHS-Worcester is only a 2 year 10 month program
2) MCPHS-Boston is a 0 through 6 year program (undergrad and professional school)
3) 200 seats is the total number of OPEN seats per year at the MCP-Worcester/Manchester professional program (Yes, MCP is composed of THREE [3] campuses; Boston, Worcester, and Manchester)
4) If any pharmacy school in the nation failed 200 students there would be a glaring problem. Now, does that make any sense to you? Seriously?

Does this help you to better understand? Please, do yourself a favor stop posting on topics you have not a clue about. You've done enough to make yourself look like a fool. If you're not a student here, please don't comment.

First off, I'd like to thank you for proving my point about individuals posting on this forum who have not a clue what they are speaking about. We can now all be thankful for your previous postings and their absolute assertiveness--as if YOU were the ultimate authority on pharmacy schools.

To correct your absolute ignorance:

1) MCPHS-Worcester is only a 2 year 10 month program
2) MCPHS-Boston is a 0 through 6 year program (undergrad and professional school)
3) 200 seats is the total number of OPEN seats per year at the MCP-Worcester/Manchester professional program (Yes, MCP is composed of THREE [3] campuses; Boston, Worcester, and Manchester)
4) If any pharmacy school in the nation failed 200 students there would be a glaring problem. Now, does that make any sense to you? Seriously?

Does this help you to better understand? Please, do yourself a favor stop posting on topics you have not a clue about. You've done enough to make yourself look like a fool. If you're not a student here, please don't comment.

What is the attrition rate? Is it really the highest in the nation or are people exaggerating in this thread?

The attrition rate is higher than most schools - but the extent has certainly been exaggerated (spelled wrong???) in this thread. Whenever you have several passionate, but opposing viewpoints, the truth is usually somewhere in between.

MCPHS makes some awesome pharmacists - I've met several cardiology specialists and a few ID gurus from MCPHS (not sure which program to be exact) that were ridiculously awesome. What is very clear is that MCPHS is willing to let students who are not up to par go. This is a very important attribute to have. While you would certainly want everyone to pass, you do not want a student who is struggling with fundamentals to continue on.

One issue with losing students (regardless of how many), is that there is a screening process prior to entry. Students that are not capable of making it to the end should never be allowed to begin. Work should be done by the faculty / admissions group to ascertain why they need such a high attrition rate... It seems like a whole lot of wasted effort, both on the part of each student and the school itself.

The attrition rate is higher than most schools - but the extent has certainly been exaggerated (spelled wrong???) in this thread. Whenever you have several passionate, but opposing viewpoints, the truth is usually somewhere in between.

MCPHS makes some awesome pharmacists - I've met several cardiology specialists and a few ID gurus from MCPHS (not sure which program to be exact) that were ridiculously awesome. What is very clear is that MCPHS is willing to let students who are not up to par go. This is a very important attribute to have. While you would certainly want everyone to pass, you do not want a student who is struggling with fundamentals to continue on.

One issue with losing students (regardless of how many), is that there is a screening process prior to entry. Students that are not capable of making it to the end should never be allowed to begin. Work should be done by the faculty / admissions group to ascertain why they need such a high attrition rate... It seems like a whole lot of wasted effort, both on the part of each student and the school itself.

Well said. Thank you.

i never claimed to be an expert and i was sharing my opinions and concerns.
this school is ranked 5th from the bottom according to some websites and i was really concerned about the reasons, so this lead me to presume that this school is out to get the students. i know, the majority of you here support this school so i will reconsider and let my friends apply there.

i never claimed to be an expert and i was sharing my opinions and concerns.
this school is ranked 5th from the bottom according to some websites and i was really concerned about the reasons, so this lead me to presume that this school is out to get the students. i know, the majority of you here support this school so i will reconsider and let my friends apply there.

In 2009 MCPHS-Worcester/Manchester was not ranked by US News. However, if you are referring to MCPHS-Boston you would be correct.

Anyone who knows anything about the nature of the two programs will tell you that you'd be comparing apples to oranges. Nonetheless, many will argue that rankings have absolutely zero significance.

This is responding to jihain and torius71:
I usually don't like spending time responding to bias comments on this forum. But when I first saw this thread, I am shock. I really feel sorry for the two of you who have had bad experiences with MCPHS.

I am a P1 student at MCPHS-Worcester. I really love the classes I'm enrolled in and the faculty is really enthusiastic about teaching and helping the students. As a P1 student, I have been doing well on the exams. The material is challenging but stimulating and that is how it should be. Most of my P1 friends are doing well and are loving the curriculum. I haven't met anyone who are struggling and MCPHS offers counseling to those who do poorly on 1 or more exams --THIS IS MANDATORY AT MCPHS.

MCPHS really wants their students to succeed. That's why they have mandatory counseling for students. The school is the 2nd OLDEST SCHOOL OF PHARMACY THAT HAS EXCELLENT ACCREDITATION.
I don't understand why MCPHS would purposely increase their attrition rate that obviously does not benefit the faculty/school or the student.

As a student at MCPHS, I can answer that MCPHS DOES NOT fail 50 students each year nor do we have an attrition rate of 30%. MCPHS WANTS TO MAKE SURE THAT THE STUDENTS ARE IN GOOD STANDING AND ARE PREPARE FOR THE NAPLEX. THE WELFARE OF THE STUDENTS HAS BEEN PROVIDING THE EXCELLENT ACCREDITATION STATUS FOR THE SCHOOL. Failing numerous amount of students would means the school is purposely jeopardizing its substantial accreditation ...Why?

Overall, I agree with
Fidodido123. Those who are delinquent in their decision obviously show a lack of confident. MCPHS definitely does not consider students who are so prone to bias comments that have no reliable evidence. Also, MCPHS DON'T even consider students who can't overcome academic conundrums. This is evident for most professional school.

I just want to re-emphasize my point:

As a student at MCPHS, I can answer that MCPHS DOES NOT fail 50 students each year nor do we have an attrition rate of 30%. MCPHS WANTS TO MAKE SURE THAT THE STUDENTS ARE IN GOOD STANDING AND ARE PREPARE FOR THE NAPLEX. THE WELFARE OF THE STUDENTS HAS BEEN PROVIDING THE EXCELLENT ACCREDITATION STATUS FOR THE SCHOOL. Failing numerous amount of students would means the school is purposely jeopardizing its substantial accreditation ...Why?

Overall, I agree with
Fidodido123. Those who are delinquent in their decision obviously show a lack of confident. MCPHS definitely does not consider students who are so prone to bias comments that have no reliable evidence. Also, MCPHS DON'T even consider students who can't overcome academic conundrums. This is evident for most professional school.

My last opinion is that one should consider the comments on this forum from people who are succeeding in the Rx curriculum. ( I apologize if my comments is offensive.)

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy (MCPHS) graduated the alleged terrorist Tarek Mehanna in 2008.

He was under investigation by the FBI since 2006.

Did the school know ?

His father remains a Professor at the college.

Massachusetts College of Pharmacy (MCPHS) graduated the alleged terrorist Tarek Mehanna in 2008.

Did the school know ?

And your point is? I'm sure if there was more evidence and the Boston Campus knew about his terrorist activities, they would have expelled him from the program. Americans didn't know that any of the terrorist attacks that have happened in the past would occur, but they did occur, and I'm sure that we would have been able to prevent it if we knew what was going on. Of course the father would remain a professor at MCPHS, because he is not involved at all with the son's terrorist activities. Plus, this information has no relevance to the topic at all and seems very irrational, illogical and just plain ignorant. Just my opinion, no offense.

So, I assume you've read all 3 years worth of my posts on this very topic?--If so, I'm glad you were able to enlightened us with your astute observations. To this very day I ask myself what was I thinking when I decided to attend a school that has a 98%+ passing rate on the NAPLEX and almost 200 years of worth of history behind its name? They must be doing something totally wrong...

As a current P3, I continue to stand by all that I have posted in the previous years. The program only gives to you what you put into it.

FYI: Complaining on a public forum does nothing to help you nor anyone else. If you happen to hate the program so much why not leave (if you haven't already done so)? Many would agree that you'd only be doing our overcrowded profession a favor.

I am with you pmp85. Wasting your time on the forum does nothing to improve your grades or chances to pass the class. Pharmacy is not an easy A. If you are not enjoying the program or need help, try talking to your classmates and professors. Many students at MCPHS are more than happy to help. The professors are available during their office hours and they are helpful. There are also counseling sessions that you can attend. Whatever may be the problem, I hope you can resolve it in a more practical way.

Did the school know ?

Whats your point? Glad you can read a news article.

Please, enlighten us as to how this pertains to the thread topic?

BTW, Congrats pmp85 and Fidodido123 on the upcoming graduation, MCPHS CLASS OF 2010!!!!

Here Here!!!

I'm SO GLAD that a fellow P1 shares my enthusiasm and enjoyment!

You need to prioritize academics in order to succeed here. Not drinking parties, not TV...academics. Am I pouting because I have to study Pharm Law and Healthcare and IPC and Biochem and therefore can't go to any Halloween parties this year? Heck yes, I'm pouting. (I'm still going Trick or Treating, though, and no one can stop me! :laugh:) But I'm gonna throw a huge Halloween party in 2012 after I graduate. It's all about prioritization. Like I said in another post...I study at least 10 hours per exam. At least. And I'm successful!

And that post about graduating the alleged terrorist? Take that crap somewhere else, please. Irrelevance abounds.

This is responding to jihain and torius71:
I usually don't like spending time responding to bias comments on this forum. But when I first saw this thread, I am shock. I really feel sorry for the two of you who have had bad experiences with MCPHS.

I am a P1 student at MCPHS-Worcester. I really love the classes I'm enrolled in and the faculty is really enthusiastic about teaching and helping the students. As a P1 student, I have been doing well on the exams. The material is challenging but stimulating and that is how it should be. Most of my P1 friends are doing well and are loving the curriculum. I haven't met anyone who are struggling and MCPHS offers counseling to those who do poorly on 1 or more exams --THIS IS MANDATORY AT MCPHS.

MCPHS really wants their students to succeed. That's why they have mandatory counseling for students. The school is the 2nd OLDEST SCHOOL OF PHARMACY THAT HAS EXCELLENT ACCREDITATION.
I don't understand why MCPHS would purposely increase their attrition rate that obviously does not benefit the faculty/school or the student.

Overall, I agree with

You know the attrition rate? I asked upthread but nobody had an answer except to say it was exaggerated. What is it roughly?

Here Here!!!

I'm SO GLAD that a fellow P1 shares my enthusiasm and enjoyment!

You need to prioritize academics in order to succeed here. Not drinking parties, not TV...academics. Am I pouting because I have to study Pharm Law and Healthcare and IPC and Biochem and therefore can't go to any Halloween parties this year? Heck yes, I'm pouting. (I'm still going Trick or Treating, though, and no one can stop me! :laugh:) But I'm gonna throw a huge Halloween party in 2012 after I graduate. It's all about prioritization. Like I said in another post...I study at least 10 hours per exam. At least. And I'm successful!

And that post about graduating the alleged terrorist? Take that crap somewhere else, please. Irrelevance abounds.

Hey, that might be the last Halloween party humanity ever sees too, so make sure it's awesome! :D

And your point is? I'm sure if there was more evidence and the Boston Campus knew about his terrorist activities, they would have expelled him from the program. Americans didn't know that any of the terrorist attacks that have happened in the past would occur, but they did occur, and I'm sure that we would have been able to prevent it if we knew what was going on. Of course the father would remain a professor at MCPHS, because he is not involved at all with the son's terrorist activities. Plus, this information has no relevance to the topic at all and seems very irrational, illogical and just plain ignorant. Just my opinion, no offense.

of course. i doubt that he is a terrorist. he discussed his plans only once or twice, so he was probably angry at the US for some reason. the school's name shouldn't be held accountable, so ignore his post.