Don’t Bother Applying to Top Med/Peds Residencies if You Had to Repeat a Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

halcyon_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have seen posts that competitive specialties are kind of out of the question if you repeated a year due to not passing exams. I was wondering if people think this holds true for “top” residencies for med-peds, which is not as competitive and perhaps gentler to this kind of thing (the vibe I get from med-peds physicians is that they are not as concerned with prestige and are very down-to-earth)?

Also if there is a chance, what would really make the difference to convince PDs to accept someone who repeated a year due to academic reasons?

Members don't see this ad.

In general, top programs get to be very picky. Is it possible? Sure - if you're performance after this is outstanding. Is it likely? No.

Don't worry about going to a "top" program. You can get a great education at lots of programs. At the moment, focus on solidly passing and learning the material.

I have seen posts that competitive specialties are kind of out of the question if you repeated a year due to not passing exams. I was wondering if people think this holds true for “top” residencies for med-peds, which is not as competitive and perhaps gentler to this kind of thing (the vibe I get from med-peds physicians is that they are not as concerned with prestige and are very down-to-earth)?

Also if there is a chance, what would really make the difference to convince PDs to accept someone who repeated a year due to academic reasons?

Is there any downside to applying to them? The worst they can do is not give you an interview/not rank you. Just don’t put all your eggs in that basket and have a wide array of programs you apply to.

Reactions: 1 user