Away Rotation Peds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chronicangina

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to see what opinions are out there for doing aways for peds. Have heard not to but that was from my home institution so not sure if I should trust them 100%. Feel like it would be good if you’re thinking of a specific program or one where everyone wants to apply, but idk. Home institution specifically said “don’t do an away at chop they don’t care” lol

Members don't see this ad.

I'm no expert, but my sense would be to do a couple of them if possible / affordable. One at a program where you are very competitive and would really like to attend. And a second one at more of a reach (but not extreme reach) program where you'd also like to attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Away rotations can be especially valuable if your home program has a small pediatric hospital/ward and you want to demonstrate your skills/learn at a bigger place. It can be used for "audition" rotations but that's a bit less common in pediatrics although done. Pick programs and places you might be interested in though anyway.

Away rotations can be especially valuable if your home program has a small pediatric hospital/ward and you want to demonstrate your skills/learn at a bigger place. It can be used for "audition" rotations but that's a bit less common in pediatrics although done. Pick programs and places you might be interested in though anyway.
Makes sense.

How does one go about arranging an "away" rotation ?

And are these typically 4 weeks in duration or are they longer / shorter ?

Does one generally do an away rotation in General Peds (inpatient?) or in a chosen subspecialty (outpatient) ? What's the thinking on this ?