Domain Names

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sneezing

Even Bears do it!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 4th year student who will be applying to psychiatry.:thumbup: I'm contemplating the purchase of a domain name for a future psychiatry practice. I am looking at some prospects that include the word psychiatrist or pyschiatry under a .us, since most in .com are taken. The interesting thing is that .us doesn't allow a person to hide their info on the registry. In other words, my address, email, etc. will be listed and available to any one at the click of a mouse. .com registries can still be hidden to protect one's identity.

Would you feel comfortable having your contact info linked to 'psychiatry' in this era of scientologists recognizing the ease of a simple google search? It would only be for a few years until I could establish an LLC as a PGY4 that I would then transfer the ownership to.

Or should I only purchase a less desired .com for the privacy factor? Is it even possible in our technological era to even preserve your personal home contact information? Or should I give up now and embrace the openess of the world wide web?

In general what are your thoughts for a private practice domain name? Stick with the good old fashioned www.DrYourName.com or something else?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently a 4th year student who will be applying to psychiatry.:thumbup: I'm contemplating the purchase of a domain name for a future psychiatry practice. I am looking at some prospects that include the word psychiatrist or pyschiatry under a .us, since most in .com are taken. The interesting thing is that .us doesn't allow a person to hide their info on the registry. In other words, my address, email, etc. will be listed and available to any one at the click of a mouse. .com registries can still be hidden to protect one's identity.

Would you feel comfortable having your contact info linked to 'psychiatry' in this era of scientologists recognizing the ease of a simple google search? It would only be for a few years until I could establish an LLC as a PGY4 that I would then transfer the ownership to.

Or should I only purchase a less desired .com for the privacy factor? Is it even possible in our technological era to even preserve your personal home contact information? Or should I give up now and embrace the openess of the world wide web?

In general what are your thoughts for a private practice domain name? Stick with the good old fashioned www.DrYourName.com or something else?

Why not just establish an LLC now? It's pretty easy to do via a site like LegalZoom; then you can list your registered agent's address as your domain registrant. I'd go with a .com or .net anyways...

Don't you need a business address for establishing an LLC? I don't have and actual office at this stage of my career and my only option would be to register it with my current place of residence. Also, aren't LLCs state specific? I don't think they are transferrable between states. I live in x, will likely train in y, and plan to practice in z.

Why do you prefer .net over a .us?

Members don't see this ad :)
..Would you feel comfortable having your contact info linked to 'psychiatry' in this era of scientologists recognizing the ease of a simple google search? It would only be for a few years until I could establish an LLC as a PGY4 that I would then transfer the ownership to.

Forget the Scientologists...you're far more likely to have a ticked-off borderline tracking down your home address.

Better a .com address that doesn't roll off the tongue than a cool sounding one at .us or .tv or .yo.

Privacy issues aside, when's the last time you saw a .us business that wasn't run out of somebody's garage?

I honestly wouldn't worry about it now. Why pay for it over the next few years if you're not planning on using it? Besides, your plans may change during residency and you might not end up wanting to start your own practice.

I agree with sunlioness. It seems a little premature to worry about setting up a domain for a practice four years from now. It's entirely possible that you might end up changing your mind halfway through internship and switching to a different specialty.

A website costs less than $10 dollars to maintain per year. There will only be more people buying domains as the internet takes on a stronger presence in healthcare. Telepsychiatry is coming and will change the face of psychiatry. I have a hard time imagining any practice without some form of internet presence. I personally prefer to be more prepared than not and if I were to change my mind, to be out $50 wouldn't be so bad.