doing summer schools at US universities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jane2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to secure a US residency as an IMG and wondered if doing chemistry/biology summer schools at a good US uni would help me in getting one? I start med school this September, in London.

any thoughts? They're quite (very) Expensive!

Members don't see this ad.

jane2 said:
I'm hoping to secure a US residency as an IMG and wondered if doing chemistry/biology summer schools at a good US uni would help me in getting one? I start med school this September, in London.

any thoughts? They're quite (very) Expensive!

The better method would be to do clinical electives in schools you are considering, to build up a relationship. Also, some programs require that you finish specific cores and electives before applying to their residency programs. Be wary of that when scheduling your clinicals. In general, schools in the US that teach chemistry/biology are not associated with hospitals that run residency programs. A better way to make contacts would be through working or volunteering there, not taking a class. =) I do believe that medical students sponsored by a specific school have greater function as volunteers in a hospital than non-medical students. This, of course, will be equally expensive, although taking a class in the area could give you an excuse to do it! Good luck!!