Doing a Second Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ParalelUni

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can find information regarding doing a second residency? Since a combined Emergency Medicine/Family Practice allopathic residency program doesn?t exist, I am looking at having to do a second residency or if anyone has any other suggestions that would lead to board certification in both areas besides doing the two residencies separately, I am all ears: D
I ask that anyone that has any information about any part of this post to please respond. I haven?t been able to find any information on these topics, so I am really at a loss. Thanks Everyone.

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

There are no rules against it provided you have HCFA funding available. At least as recently as last year, there were regulations being bandied about that you would receive government funding only for the length of time for the first residency you start (ie, of most interest to people wishing to switch from a shorter residency, say FP, to a longer one, say Surgery. They might have 1+ years of no funding - although some programs were willing to "eat" the difference.)

Now there is a difference btween switching residencies half-way through and doing a complete and separate one after finishing the first. We have a Radiologist here who came back to do his residency after a number of years as a general surgeon. So its possible - what information are you specifically looking for?

I am referring to doing one complete residency and then doing a second, separate and complete residency, so one can board certify in the areas of the two residencies. I want to be able to board certify in both Family Practice (ABFP) & Emergency Medicine (ABEM ? Not AAPS & BCEM) , and to the best of my knowledge, the only way to do this is to complete the two residencies separately, as no such allopathic Emergency Medicine/Family Practice combined residency exists.

More specifically, I am looking for information regarding the process of applying to do a second residency:

Is it still done through ERAS? If not, how does one go about applying for a second residency?

Are you in competition with people who are going for their primary residencies?

Is it more difficult to get a position if you are going for a second residency?

Considering the difficulty as of late with securing an Emergency Medicine residency, is it suggested to complete that one first, if you can match, and complete the Family Practice residency secondary? Alternatively, if you complete the Family Practice residency first, having already "proven" yourself, that it would be easier to secure an Emergency Medicine residency secondarily?

Concerning the funding you mentioned, for a complete and totally separate second residency, would you receive any funding?

As I mentioned in my first post, I have come up against a complete and utter dearth of information regarding doing a complete and totally separate second residency, so any information at all that can be provided, including what I have asked above, would be appreciated. Thanks

Mike

Originally posted by ParalelUni
I am referring to doing one complete residency and then doing a second, separate and complete residency, so one can board certify in the areas of the two residencies. I want to be able to board certify in both Family Practice (ABFP) & Emergency Medicine (ABEM ? Not AAPS & BCEM) , and to the best of my knowledge, the only way to do this is to complete the two residencies separately, as no such allopathic Emergency Medicine/Family Practice combined residency exists.

More specifically, I am looking for information regarding the process of applying to do a second residency:

Is it still done through ERAS? If not, how does one go about applying for a second residency?

Are you in competition with people who are going for their primary residencies?

I don't know the answer to the difficulty question, but most emergency medicine residencies offer their positions through ERAS and the normal matching process, and if I understand the jargon correctly, 100% will be offered this way starting in 2004. So yes, you will most likely be competing against those going into residency for the first time.

If I were you, I would (like you mentioned in your post) go for EM first. If you decide you still want FP training, I'm sure there are some lower tier FP programs that will offer you training outside the match or won't fill so you'll be able to get it because you're US trained. Also, if you have a change of heart and drop OUT of EM, you'll be going to a less competitive field, so it will be easier on you. Lastly (I'm biased) but EM is cool and you may end up just sticking with that one residency.

mike