Does the hospital cover the insurance for an academic surgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArrogantSurgeon

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since academic surgeons make less than private surgeons in the same specialty, does the hospital/medical center cover some or all of an academic surgeon's malpractice insurance?

Or do academic surgeons have to take out malpractice insurance on their own, which would further decrease their already lower salary?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by ArrogantSurgeon
...does the hospital/medical center cover some or all of an academic surgeon's malpractice insurance?

Or do academic surgeons have to take out malpractice insurance on their own...?

It is hospital, surgeon, regional, and contract specific. In general, at the major academic systems I have seen, they have some sort of policy that could be multiple group policies (i.e. the cards people, the CT surgeons, the Gsurgeons, etc...) and sometimes the physicians are sub-contractors. That is definately something You can ask about when you interview for your academic job. I am sure they will provide you with the contract and the information you seek. If you don't want to wait that long, you could always ask one of your med-school attendings what arrangement your institution makes. Others in this forum may provide you with the info on their specific institution and once again resolve another of your curiousities of things that may be far different in 5-10 years when it actually becomes relavent to you.