Does Psych or FP count as a prelim year....?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hidoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I heard some mixed things about people doing NON-med/surg/ty years that counted as a clinical year for licensing. Is that true?

Seems like psych wouldn't count, maybe fp...

anyone want to chime in

Members don't see this ad.

Psych definitely not and I've never heard of a psych prelim year anyway. There are a few rare FP and Peds prelims out there. Check with the advanced specialty for specific requirements.

If you're thinking about getting a categorical spot and then ditching it for an advanced spot, you deserve a rather severe beating at the hands of your colleagues who really want those spots.

Psych definitely not and I've never heard of a psych prelim year anyway. There are a few rare FP and Peds prelims out there. Check with the advanced specialty for specific requirements.

There are very few FP prelim spots....those are usually affiliated with military programs, and are often taken by people who will need an intern year prior to starting a GMO tour, or offer the osteopathic prelim year.

If you're thinking about getting a categorical spot and then ditching it for an advanced spot, you deserve a rather severe beating at the hands of your colleagues who really want those spots.

Not to mention that it completely screws over the program, leaving them with an empty spot that the PD will have to hurry to fill, or else risk leaving it open making your former colleagues take more call and do more work.

Thanks for the responses.

No I was not trying to take a categorical and then drop it. I have just heard that there are psych and fp programs out there which (after you take step 3) allow you to be licensed, so was curious. From the responses, I gather then my information is based on stories of people who matched categorical and then dropped, I guess.

So then med/surg/ty are the only bets for a prelim.