Employment & Professional Networking does OT school ranking matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otprosp0308

Reaction score
Current occupational therapists, would you recommend waiting a year and applying again for a more "well known" OTD program in the state or attending a MOT 2 year program that is newer and out of state of where you want to practice? Will it be harder to find jobs? I have only gotten into one school and am highly considering going because I would start practicing within 2 years versus waiting a year and potentially practicing within 4 years due to the three year OTD program. Thoughts?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, school ranking does not matter. I went to an out-of-state MS program and had no problem finding a job once I moved back. I went to CT for school and was able to find a job in AZ quickly. I was working within 2 weeks of getting my license (roughly a month after passing the boards).

It all depends on what you want for yourself. I wanted to start practicing as soon as I could and I did not see the need for an OTD in my life at the moment. I figured if I wanted to get it later that was also an option.

Reactions: 1 user