Does Ortho school require a Bachelor's degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalfan313

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I was to be accepted to dental school without my Bachelor's degree, would specialty schools look down upon this or even not accept my application?

Members don't see this ad.

If I was to be accepted to dental school without my Bachelor's degree, would specialty schools look down upon this or even not accept my application?

One of my classmates who doesn't have a bachelor's degree got rejected from an ortho program (AT the interview) because of that... But I don't think that applies to all specialty programs, it just depends and make sure you ask each program you're interested in.

One of my classmates who doesn't have a bachelor's degree got rejected from an ortho program (AT the interview) because of that... But I don't think that applies to all specialty programs, it just depends and make sure you ask each program you're interested in.
Sounds like your classmate is telling folks some tall tales. Why would they be invited for an interview just to be rejected AT the interview?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some ortho programs have a Masters Degree component, which cannot be matriculated if you do not have a bachelors. The DDS/DMD is considered a professional degree. Same would apply if you were interested in law school. Must have a bachelors to enter. Those are just the rules.

Maybe finish up your undergrad. degree online while in D3/D4 year or just go back to college for a semester and finish everything that was left?

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like your classmate is telling folks some tall tales. Why would they be invited for an interview just to be rejected AT the interview?

It's just what I was told. I don't think PASS or whatever application for that program asked for previous degrees, so maybe they didn't know. I was taken aback when I heard that too because it would really suck to go to an interview to be turned down for something that could be so easily communicated prior.

It's just what I was told. I don't think PASS or whatever application for that program asked for previous degrees, so maybe they didn't know. I was taken aback when I heard that too because it would really suck to go to an interview to be turned down for something that could be so easily communicated prior.
If thats the case, it was likely communicated. Programs have requirements and I wouldn't be surprised if your classmate did not notice it until the interview. Otherwise it would likely happen quite often.