Does organic chemistry matter to UK med schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ogechi92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At my university we have the choice of taking the 6 credit sequence of organic chemistry (which excludes labs) or the 8 credit sequence which includes labs.

Do medical schools in the U.K. care which sequence I take? I am already going to apply as an international student I would not want to have anymore disadvantages.

Members don't see this ad.

At my university we have the choice of taking the 6 credit sequence of organic chemistry (which excludes labs) or the 8 credit sequence which includes labs.

Do medical schools in the U.K. care which sequence I take? I am already going to apply as an international student I would not want to have anymore disadvantages.

Are you at high school? If you are you need more than just high school grades to get in as your high school is not as difficult as that in the UK. I think they just ask for certain SAT scores. Our chemistry at every level will include lab work so I suggest you take that. It's possible they will never notice the difference if they ask for a transcript but do it just in case.

Also, as an international student it is actually much easier for you to get in compared to a home student.