Does my answer to the question What is the greatest challenge you overcame make sense?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwillmakesuretopass

Reaction score
The greatest challenge I overcame was helping one of my students overcome her self-doubt and build confidence to achieve her goals. When I was a tutor at .....college, an elderly lady came to me who needed help with chemistry. Moreover, she didn't know how to use a computer and she felt as if she is not capable to learn chemistry and computer. As a result, she couldn't complete her homework, watch assigned videos and do other assignments I explained to her that she is fully capable and I tried to help her academically but i couldn't help her much in learning computers because we were only allowed to help academically and there were other students who needed help. Communicating very effectively and being very patient I tried to explain the problem. Also, I could empathize and see how I would feel if I was in her place so, I gave her my schedule so when I was free I can teach her how to use a computer. For academic help, she can come to me or any tutor at the tutoring. Moreover, I researched programs and found local libraries gave computer lessons. I recommended she explore that. Slowly she learned how to use a computer and she also improved academically and got a B+ in her class. In addition, she trusted her abilities now and she wanted to pursue chemistry as a major.

Do you think it shows how I overcame a challenge or is it more like your greatest achievement?

Members don't see this ad.

Not your challenge. The lady overcame a challenge with your help, but you didn't overcome anything.

Reactions: 2 users
Not your challenge.
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking about something along these lines.

When I worked for a small construction company, I was asked to bring down the expenses because of budget cut due to corona. Since most of the expenses were already cut down and there was very little left to do it was very challenging. However, after carefully analyzing the spending I realized that the workers would send someone for supplies during the workday if they ran out. To counter this, I made a bi-weekly routine where I would go and check the supply levels and stock them up and this helped to make workdays more productive. Also, if there were supplies left on one site I would bring those to another which helped to bring down money spent on supplies significantly. Also, I implemented this method of grouping where we would try to prepare different sites for plumbing work so when plumber (electrician etc) comes we could get different sites done in one day rather than calling him for again and again which added up to increase expenses. So, this is how i brought down the expenses and overcame a challenge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick reply.

I was thinking about something along these lines.

When I worked for a small construction company, I was asked to bring down the expenses because of budget cut due to corona. Since most of the expenses were already cut down and there was very little left to do it was very challenging. However, after carefully analyzing the spending I realized that the workers would send someone for supplies during the workday if they ran out. To counter this, I made a bi-weekly routine where I would go and check the supply levels and stock them up and this helped to make workdays more productive. Also, if there were supplies left on one site I would bring those to another which helped to bring down money spent on supplies significantly. Also, I implemented this method of grouping where we would try to prepare different sites for plumbing work so when plumber (electrician etc) comes we could get different sites done in one day rather than calling him for again and again which added up to increase expenses. So, this is how i brought down the expenses and overcame a challenge.
Definitely better, but, SDN wisdom is that they are looking for something more personal, where you are demonstrating grit and determination by overcoming the challenge, obstacle, whatever. If the construction company is all you have, it IS an example of overcoming a challenge, but you are really demonstrating your analytical and problem solving skills here more than your grit and determination. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
I like the analytical problem solving on the job. With thhe other one.... I got bogged down on the word "elderly". What's an "elderly" woman doing taking college chemistry? Your "elderly" might be younger than some of the adcom reading this and they'll take offense at "elderly". I get the point -- she'd not had prior experience with computers which is pretty uncommon in a student under 40. It would be better to say a "non-traditional" student. I do get that you had a challenge of staying within the rules which said you could only help with academic assignments but here you had someone who was not prepared to learn because she was unfamiliar with the technology in use. So you had to find a work around to help her succeed by offering to meet her outside of your tutoring hours for computer training. Again, a problem solving situation for you with the problem being how to deliver services that were needed but not part of your "mission" as a tutor.

Were either of these challenges something you lost sleep over.... if not, dig a little deeper and pick something that was challenging enough to disrupt your wellbeing.

Last edited:
Teaching the elderly woman was her challenge, not yours. If you go with the construction story, be sure to tell why you needed to make cuts—were you able to save jobs? Keep the company out of bankruptcy?