Does Military HPSP provide health insurance during dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajaxkid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you get the HPSP scholarship, does it have health insurance that covers you during dental school or does that kick in only after you enter active duty?

Members don't see this ad.

If you get the HPSP scholarship, does it have health insurance that covers you during dental school or does that kick in only after you enter active duty?

If the school you attend requires insurance, the HPSP will cover it. If no health insurance is required by the school, then you are on your own until AD....

If the school you attend requires insurance, the HPSP will cover it. If no health insurance is required by the school, then you are on your own until AD....
Does UCLA? Will the Air Force cover our laptops and loupes, as they are required by the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does UCLA? Will the Air Force cover our laptops and loupes, as they are required by the school.

loupes for sure yes.....not sure about the lap top....I've been wondering the same thing....I think it depends on how we have to pay for the lap top. If we have to buy it on our own, I'm thinking no....I'm going to call the financial advisor at UCLA to find out. My Air Force recruiter said it should, but I think he may be B.S.ing to some extent. It wouldn't have made me turn down the scholarship if I found out that it wasn't payed for, but it would be nice to get it covered......

Words I got from my recruiter is that if the school requires student to lease a specific kind, then HPSP views it as part of the gears (like buying the dental kit) and pays the leasing fee. However they won't pay if the school simply says everyone needs/should have one and give no specific details.

you can rent a laptop but not sure how that works and they will cover so much, but i don't know if it works if the school requires a specific one. otherwise laptops are NOT covered under the scholarship.

And call your school to see if health care is mandatory for you, if it is, the military will pay it but won't give you their insurance. if you can find a health insurance better than your schools and for the same price or less the military will reimburse you for that.

I go to Nova and a laptop is required - the Navy got it covered.

I was just notified that those in the AF HPSP are being offered Tricare. For those who have it, how do you like it? What has been your experience if any?

As I understand it, there are no premiums or co-pays. I already get insurance through my school so the AF will pay for it, but if Tricare is the better choice I would switch to it.

I was just notified that those in the AF HPSP are being offered Tricare. For those who have it, how do you like it? What has been your experience if any?

As I understand it, there are no premiums or co-pays. I already get insurance through my school so the AF will pay for it, but if Tricare is the better choice I would switch to it.

This is huge. can anyone confirm this?

This is huge. can anyone confirm this?

Sorry to jump forums, but I can tell you this is not true. HPSP students are eligible for TRICARE when they are on the 45 day active duty time. Otherwise you are on a private insurance policy. The dental program is available to students, but it is very expensive and I would guess you guys would have decent access to affordable dental care.

OK, thanks. I was told that we would be getting it in an email, however, I just received another email as follows.

Sir/Ma’am,

I wanted to give you an update on the Tri-Care situation. I should have waited for the official written commutation to come down about Tri-Care. I was told by HQ recruiting service that HSPS students will now be covered by Tri-Care. Some of you may have tried to contact AFIT and they are telling you you’re not covered because they haven’t seen any written communication about it (which is the correct thing to do). I apologize for jumping the gun but I always try to keep you as informed as possible. If you have or haven’t contacted AFIT yet about Tri-Care please reframe from doing so until I forward the Official Letter to you. I appreciate your patience and again sorry for the inconvenience………

So...this still seems to imply there is that possibility. ???

I will be attending Nova this fall through the Navy HPSP. I have a wife and a child. Nova requires health insurance, if I was to get an outside health provider for my family that is cheaper than Nova's student insurance, will the Navy reimburse the health insurance for the entire family? Has anyone had experience doing something like this?

I will be attending Nova this fall through the Navy HPSP. I have a wife and a child. Nova requires health insurance, if I was to get an outside health provider for my family that is cheaper than Nova's student insurance, will the Navy reimburse the health insurance for the entire family? Has anyone had experience doing something like this?

the Navy will reimburse you for YOUR insurance, since you are their financial concern. until you are on active duty, your family has to fend for itself. i had a similar situation while i was in school.

Members don't see this ad :)

The Navy's HSCP puts you AND your family on TRI-CARE while you're going through school. Not sure how much tuition at NOVA is, but if you have any inkling to do Navy as a career, the HSCP(the program that I'm doing - I have in-state at UofL ~$20,000) is the program of choice then.

The Navy's HSCP puts you AND your family on TRI-CARE while you're going through school. Not sure how much tuition at NOVA is, but if you have any inkling to do Navy as a career, the HSCP(the program that I'm doing - I have in-state at UofL ~$20,000) is the program of choice then.

NOVA is really pricey ....... something like 70K a year.... I took the HPSP (Navy) but I am single and have no kids. I would think it would be better to take the HPSP, and even taking loans to pay for health care for the family rather then do HSCP and miss out on alot of money from the scholarship, which you would then have to take out loans for anyway.

NOVA is really pricey ....... something like 70K a year.... I took the HPSP (Navy) but I am single and have no kids. I would think it would be better to take the HPSP, and even taking loans to pay for health care for the family rather then do HSCP and miss out on alot of money from the scholarship, which you would then have to take out loans for anyway.

Agreed the HPSP is better for your situation, but at 25,000 a year for tuition here, the HSCP is the more lucrative program between the two even with the 20,000 sign on. You get time IN during dental school which means during payback you are an O-3 with 4 years in which equates to 1200 more each month that you're in the military for. Plus you save an additional couple hundred buck on insurace for the 48 months during d-school

Hey, for anyone still unclear about whether they're eligible for TriCare, I just spoke to Mr. Covey at the Office of the Surgeon General. My recruiter referred me to him and he said the only time you're eligible for TriCare is when you are on your 45-day ADT during the summer. So you only have TriCare when you are active duty, and you can take advantage of that at any MTF in the world.

Hey, for anyone still unclear about whether they're eligible for TriCare, I just spoke to Mr. Covey at the Office of the Surgeon General. My recruiter referred me to him and he said the only time you're eligible for TriCare is when you are on your 45-day ADT during the summer. So you only have TriCare when you are active duty, and you can take advantage of that at any MTF in the world.

the HPSP offers the DOD's insurance for those that are required to have insurance for school. It's basically the same thing as tri-care but not tri-care.

the HPSP offers the DOD's insurance for those that are required to have insurance for school. It's basically the same thing as tri-care but not tri-care.

Are you speaking about this from experience or from what you have heard? The reason I ask is that I am on the HPSP scholarship and the only thing the military offers is to pay for my insurance through the school, which is no way shape or form similar to Tri-care or DoD, it is a school run insurance program available to all students. The only time I have been able to have myself or my wife seen under Tri-care is while on my 45 days AT as the previous poster stated?

the Navy will reimburse you for YOUR insurance, since you are their financial concern. until you are on active duty, your family has to fend for itself. i had a similar situation while i was in school.

reposting for clarification. there is no such thing as kinda like tricare, but not tricare. DoD's insurance IS tricare, available to active duty members, their dependents, and retirees. not to HPSP recipients.

I asked my air force recruiter directly what type of insurance I get onto with the HPSP and that was his reply. "It's not tri-care but rather the DOD's insurance."

I asked my air force recruiter directly what type of insurance I get onto with the HPSP and that was his reply. "It's not tri-care but rather the DOD's insurance."

Your recruiter is high. Look it up in the HPSP handbook, it spells out exaclty what type of insurance the military will provide. Bascially it says that the military will provide coverage for insurance (reimbursement) only when it is directly required by the school. Nothing more.

Your recruiter is high. Look it up in the HPSP handbook, it spells out exaclty what type of insurance the military will provide. Bascially it says that the military will provide coverage for insurance (reimbursement) only when it is directly required by the school. Nothing more.
That's good to know. I trust you guys that are already doing it. You're the best source for accurate information. I appreciate it.

What if the treatment itself takes longer than 45 days?
... or to get the appointment?