Does it matter where you go to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustangsally65

Sally 2.0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of different things about how "easy" it is to match into a family medicine residency, as long as you have decent grades, letters of recommendation, and Step I/II scores. but what do you guys think?

I've got a few residency programs in mind that I think I'd like, but with only 6, 8 or 10 spots it seems like you have zero chances of actually going to your first choice.

So what are important things to know about the match for family medicine? If you go to a "better" school (higher ranked, known for producing primary care physicians) does it help with the match or is it more important to do well in school and the rest has to do with your interview and how well you fit with the program?

Members don't see this ad.

mustangsally65 said:
If you go to a "better" school (higher ranked, known for producing primary care physicians) does it help with the match or is it more important to do well in school and the rest has to do with your interview and how well you fit with the program?

I'm sure every program is somewhat different, but in my residency, what people thought of an applicant and how they'd "fit" carried more weight than academics. This assumes that there were no academic deficiencies, of course...those always raise concerns. The medical school they attended was rarely, if ever, a variable.