does it matter where you get your BS from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

victor14

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i need help making a decision please. i will be starting my 2nd year at ucr (cal riverside) in the fall. i was dissmed for poor academic grades so i will be readmitted in the fall. when i get readmitted my gpa will be a 2.0 at the very least. now, i was thinking of a career in chiropractic but im still not sure about it. i wanted to know if i transfer from ucr to a local chiro school here in la that offers a BS in human bio, will that be sufficient enough for pod school? will they hold this against me if i get my BS from a chiro school which is accreddited?

thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I really have no clue. I think that the undergrad program would matter less than the fact that you were dismissed from school. Also you really need to get your GPA up if you want to get in.

Your GPA will matter more than which school you went to but if you did well at a UC school, the adcoms will take that into account. Almost everyone knows how challenging the UC system is.

Here is what I think the reasons why you would want to transfer to another school:

1) It might be easier and you get a new start.
2) You transfer your UCR credit to another school, start as a sophmore, and think you get a new start.

One of the problems is that if you do not transfer your UC credit to another school, you start as a freshman. If you do transfer the credit, the school might give you Pass or Fail standing in those classes and you start with a brand new GPA (only chiro course grades) at the chiro school. The problem here is the chiro school would indicate that they accepted transfer credit and you will need to send your transcripts from ALL the colleges you attended and all your grades will be averaged out. If you have a F in physics 1 and get a A after the retake, you will end up having a C.

Keep in mind that the application process ask if you have been on academic probation or to that extent. If you do well from now on, it won't be much of a problem. In addition, most schools factor in GPA trends. If you didn't do well freshman year but after that, your GPA increases significantly, it means A LOT.

Just stick it out at UCR and do well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Save some money and go to a community college.

You don't need a 100K undergrad education to get in!

You'll have plenty of debt from podiatry school to pay back, why compound your potential future financial problems?

In my opinion, you will have more options and more say in who you will work for and what you will do after you graduate if you have a smaller debt load....

"Hi, I'm a new podiatry grad and I need to make my 1500/month student debt payment, my 1000/month rent, my 800/month credit card bills, my 300/month utilities, my 600/month car payment, and my significant other is a podiatry grad too that needs a job but they'll have to fend for themselves!!!!.....

I WAS HERE FIRST!!!!

will you hire me.... Please.... I'll work for 5000/month and I'll clip nails 60hrs/week.... Please hire me!!!!!"

Meanwhile, the significant other is underbidding you, they don't have the credit card bills......

"Hmmmm" says the $$$$ conscious podiatrist, "two for the price of one??? Let's make a cozy deal, for me....."

New Podiatrist, "Please! Have some dam compassion! I can't work for that!!!"

To be honest, I personally anticipate starting out at around 60-80K. That doesn't mean I'm going to stay at that income level, it just means that this is podiatry.... And I have to be as smart as I can be.

whiskers said:
Save some money and go to a community college.

You don't need a 100K undergrad education to get in!

You'll have plenty of debt from podiatry school to pay back, why compound your potential future financial problems?

In my opinion, you will have more options and more say in who you will work for and what you will do after you graduate if you have a smaller debt load....

"Hi, I'm a new podiatry grad and I need to make my 1500/month student debt payment, my 1000/month rent, my 800/month credit card bills, my 300/month utilities, my 600/month car payment, and my significant other is a podiatry grad too that needs a job but they'll have to fend for themselves!!!!.....

I WAS HERE FIRST!!!!

will you hire me.... Please.... I'll work for 5000/month and I'll clip nails 60hrs/week.... Please hire me!!!!!"

Meanwhile, the significant other is underbidding you, they don't have the credit card bills......

"Hmmmm" says the $$$$ conscious podiatrist, "two for the price of one??? Let's make a cozy deal, for me....."

New Podiatrist, "Please! Have some dam compassion! I can't work for that!!!"

To be honest, I personally anticipate starting out at around 60-80K. That doesn't mean I'm going to stay at that income level, it just means that this is podiatry.... And I have to be as smart as I can be.

Just something to keep in mind Whiskers since you tend to display the doom and gloom of the podiatric profession only. When someone says they have a starting salary of 60K, that might not be as bad as it looks. You have to take into account everything that goes into the contract. In many cases when the salary is 60 - 80K, there are incentives and bonuses that are paid on top of that depending on your production level. I recently spoke with a pod who is 3 years into practice and had a starting salary of 60K as an associate. With bonuses based on production, he ended up making 150K his first year. This bonus plan sets the owner at ease a little and still gives the associate plenty of potential to earn money. Too many people think that they are entitled to high incomes without doing anything. You have to show that you can produce if you want to make good money.

IlizaRob said:
Just something to keep in mind Whiskers since you tend to display the doom and gloom of the podiatric profession only. When someone says they have a starting salary of 60K, that might not be as bad as it looks. You have to take into account everything that goes into the contract. In many cases when the salary is 60 - 80K, there are incentives and bonuses that are paid on top of that depending on your production level. I recently spoke with a pod who is 3 years into practice and had a starting salary of 60K as an associate. With bonuses based on production, he ended up making 150K his first year. This bonus plan sets the owner at ease a little and still gives the associate plenty of potential to earn money. Too many people think that they are entitled to high incomes without doing anything. You have to show that you can produce if you want to make good money.

This is especially true in the private practice sector, where associates are usually paid a base salary plus a percentage of the profits.

i think i posted this before.... but my uncle is a pod who employs others under him. he pays them a base of 40-50k a year plus 40% of their take in... he said that means that they make over 100 to start.... and that is fresh out of school.

so... there is one story.

Actually 60-80K is great money if you don't have any debt!

As far as bonuses, I think of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation....

No offense, but personally, I think I'd have a hard time going to a podiatrist/dentist etc who was being paid $40-50K and "commission."

And I'd surely get a few other opinions before having an expensive surgery.... (Listen up you patients....)

Sorry, but isn't there an incentive to sell the expensive stuff a little faster....

Oh, that’s right, with all the chatter about $$$$ (we all are in it to help people, just listen to the newbees at the interviews...), we all certainly would do the right thing even if it meant we only made 40k/year selling mole skin.....

Yikes!

whiskers said:
No offense, but personally, I think I'd have a hard time going to a podiatrist/dentist etc who was being paid $40-50K and "commission."

Although I understand your sentiments, this is completely naive. Many medical practices of all specialties who employ docs work this way. This is not about being a good sellsman but rather working hard and becoming more efficient with your time in order to see more patients and effectively treat them. Everything you do has to be warranted or you wont get paid. So its not like you can do a triple arthodesis on someone who has an ingrown nail. But lets be realistic, a doctor of any specialty is not going to bring more docs into the practice for the good of the people, but rather to increase their bottom line. If this were not true (capitalism) then we would still be living in caves trying to start fires by rubbing sticks together. There would be no incentive to work.

IlizaRob said:
Although I understand your sentiments, this is completely naive. Many medical practices of all specialties who employ docs work this way. This is not about being a good sellsman but rather working hard and becoming more efficient with your time in order to see more patients and effectively treat them. Everything you do has to be warranted or you wont get paid. So its not like you can do a triple arthodesis on someone who has an ingrown nail. But lets be realistic, a doctor of any specialty is not going to bring more docs into the practice for the good of the people, but rather to increase their bottom line. If this were not true (capitalism) then we would still be living in caves trying to start fires by rubbing sticks together. There would be no incentive to work.

This is right on the money!

IlizaRob said:

The last temptation of podiatrist X?

And what shall we do if/when they nationalize health care?

Not in america!!! Never! The democrats and the people of this nation would never stand for that!

Whiskers got into the catnip again! Why are his posts so wierd? I think he may really be a cat...seriously, that is the only explanation that makes sense - as he never gives any real info about himself.

whiskers said:
The last temptation of podiatrist X?

And what shall we do if/when they nationalize health care?

Not in america!!! Never! The democrats and the people of this nation would never stand for that!

runnersfeet said:
Whiskers got into the catnip again! Why are his posts so wierd? I think he may really be a cat...seriously, that is the only explanation that makes sense - as he never gives any real info about himself.

Schizo maybe? I dont know. He tends to have conversations with himself most of the time. Whats worse is that they are written conversations.