Does it matter if the research is science-based or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedmaybe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm going back to pick up my biology degree but i'm about to graduate with a degree in history. Does it matter if my research comes from a non-science?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to be more specific in your goals. Does it matter for what? Getting into medical school? Applying for an MSTP? Getting a good residency?

If you're name is correct and you are in fact pre-med, then yes, you need science research. History research might be fun and interesting and something that shows how well-rounded and otherwise intelligent you are, but when people talk about research, they mean something that will impact medicine. Think biology, some types of chemistry, some kinds of physics, some kinds of computer science, public healthy stuff, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with that with the exception that doing research in an area other than science is still okay if it's a good project/topic that gets you published. It shows you can dedicate yourself to research and produce a quality product. Science research is the best, but if you do something else, don't think it's a waste.

I had a law paper that was published and it was looked upon favorably by the interviewers I had.