Does doing US residency as a Canadian (UCD irela) on a J-1 secure you a job in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdmontonOilers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Note: I posted a similar message in the Canadian forum but have realized that this forum would be a much more appropriate spot for it.

Hey guys,

I am a Canadian citizen doing my medical degree in Ireland at UCD. I want to write the USMLEs and get an internal medicine residency in the US on a J-1 visa. I am not interested in practicing medicine back in Canada. I hear the H1-B would be really hard for me to get as there is a limited amount given out in the US. After I finish it seems like I would have 2 options. I could either get a J-1 waiver and work in the US in an underserviced area for 4 or 5 years and then eventually get an H1-B visa or greencard. Or if I didnt get the J-1 waiver I would have to return to Canada for 2 years doing a fellowship or research before I could apply back to the US for a job in internal medicine and have a hospital sponsor me on the H1-B.

RECENTLY I HAVE BECOME WORRIED ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND A JOB IN THE US AFTER MY US RESIDENCY. If i get a J-1 waiver (which I hear is very competitive to get but Im not sure about this) I would be able to get a job in an underserviced area but if I go back to Canada for 2 years and then apply for IM jobs in the US after my 2 years return of service in Canada WOULD I BE ABLE TO FIND EMPLOYMENT AND A HOSPITAL TO SPONSOR ME ON THE H1-B? Many Canadians from Ireland have taken this route on the J-1 visa in the past BUT I HAVE NO WAY OF CONTACTING THEM TO SEE IF THIS ROUTE ACTUALLY WORKS and if they are getting jobs in the US after their two years back in Canada. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this? Do you think if I got a residency in the US and passed my IM boards I would be pretty much guaranteed a job in the US eventually?

Are there any Canadians from Irish med schools that have proven that this route is possible or does anyone know of any Canadians that have successfully done this?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.