Does doing US residency as a Canadian on a J-1 guarantee you a job in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EdmontonOilers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a Canadian citizen doing my medical degree in Ireland at UCD. I want to write the USMLEs and get an internal medicine residency in the US on a J-1 visa. I hear the H1-B would be really hard for me to get as there is a limited amount given out in the US. After I finish it seems like I would have 2 options. I could either get a J-1 waiver and work in the US in an underserviced area for 4 or 5 years and then eventually get an H1-B visa or greencard. Or if I didnt get the J-1 waiver I would have to return to Canada for 2 years doing a fellowship or research before I could apply back to the US for a job in internal medicine and have a hospital sponsor me on the H1-B.

RECENTLY I HAVE BECOME WORRIED ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND A JOB IN THE US AFTER MY US RESIDENCY. If i get a J-1 waiver I would be able to get a job in an underserviced area but if I go back to Canada for 2 years and then apply for IM jobs in the US after my 2 years return of service in Canada WOULD I BE ABLE TO FIND EMPLOYMENT AND A HOSPITAL TO SPONSOR ME ON THE H1-B? Many Canadians from Ireland have taken this route on the J-1 visa in the past BUT I HAVE NO WAY OF CONTACTING THEM TO SEE IF THIS ROUTE ACTUALLY WORKS and if they are getting jobs in the US after their two years back in Canada. I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this? Do you think if I got a residency in the US I would be pretty much guaranteed a job in the US eventually?

Are there any Canadians that have proven that this route is possible or know of any Canadians that have successfully done this?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing is ever guaranteed.

If you can't get a J1 converted to another visa by the time you are done, you will have to return to Canada for 2 years.

BTW, make sure you look into the requirements of getting a J1. If I understand it correctly, you have to do the Canadian Exams to get a letter for a J1 visa from ministery of health.

Consider doing a different specialty. There are plenty of 'IM-only' FMGs in the US competing for the positions eligible for J1 waivers. Options are far better if you are in FP or in a competitive specialty.

Or better: try to get an H1b. University teaching hospitals (and I believe all 'not for profit' hospitals) are exempt from the 55k cap on H1b visas. Only few programs sponsor H1b, but given the complex situation with 'health canada' and the troubles of finding J1 waiver positions, it is definitely more desireable to start out on H1b.

Members don't see this ad :)
EdmontonOilers said:
I am a Canadian citizen doing my medical degree in Ireland at UCD. RECENTLY I HAVE BECOME WORRIED ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO FIND A JOB IN THE US AFTER MY US RESIDENCY.

'Fraid I don't have a lot of useful advice for you. Just wanted to say thank you (honestly, no sarcasm) for having chosen Ireland for med school, rather than getting a heavily subsidized education here in order to then go practice in the U.S. (I really have a beef with people who do that.)

So, EO, you're a mensch. I hope you get the residency and the job you want.

trustwomen said:
...rather than getting a heavily subsidized education here in order to then go practice in the U.S. (I really have a beef with people who do that.)

Hehehehe.. that is funny. I always said I would sign anything they wish, agree to serve 5 years in rural area, and take a pay cut for 5 years after training (or pay US fees for med school- 40k US about 50K/yr Canadian $) if they would just give me a bloody seat at a Canadian school. ANY ONE.