Does applying for a dual degree (MD/MBA) prgm affect your admit chances N2 med schl?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riceman04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am now applying for entrance into medical school for 2006. Since the AMCAS app asks you to choose whether or not you are applying for a "regular M.D", M.D/Graduate, etc... does it determine how your application will be reivewed by adcoms? I know many schools require you to first be accepted into the medical program, enroll, and then you are eligible to apply in your second yr (MS-2).

Also on the app. some schools have the words "restricted" in parentheses directly under the M.D/Graduate choice. What does that mean?

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Riceman,
Check your PM

riceman04 said:
Hello everyone, I am now applying for entrance into medical school for 2006. Since the AMCAS app asks you to choose whether or not you are applying for a "regular M.D", M.D/Graduate, etc... does it determine how your application will be reivewed by adcoms? I know many schools require you to first be accepted into the medical program, enroll, and then you are eligible to apply in your second yr (MS-2).

Also on the app. some schools have the words "restricted" in parentheses directly under the M.D/Graduate choice. What does that mean?

Thanks guys

Hi rgarg3,

Unless your advice was specific to riceman, can you send me the same PM? I'm also interested in the answer to this question. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't really bring it up on my AMCAS. Its really not necessary, nor does it put you in a better spot for getting into medical school. No medical school is going to accept you just because you're planning on doing an MD/MBA. They're going to look at your grades, MCAT, ect. and thats going to be it. My fear is that some admission committee's may still be a bit weary of MD/MBA's and their intention to pursue both. I've been to interviews where faculty clearly don't understand the implications of competitive markets and economics and its place in medicine. This is what I would do. Present yourself as a traditional MD applicant. When you get to the interview, gently inquire about the MBA program, if they have one. During the interview, if you think its appropiate, possible talk about "your interest" in pursing an MBA. Remember be as open as possible. After you get accepted to the medical program, its a whole differrent game. Go all out. Figure out how to get enrolled in their MBA program. They can't take back your admission into the medical school. Remember the hard part is getting into medical school, not business school. Hope this helps! BTW, please feel free to disagree with me. This is just my gut feeling on the matter.
Good luck everyone!

rgarg3

my line of thinking was that although you are probably correct in indicating many adcoms' suspicions of the MBA, it would set you apart as a candidate and that counts for something in a sea of homogenous applicants. i already shoved md mba down my recommenders throats...so i can only avoid it so much on my actual app, and hope for the best. one other thing is that everyone is in love with leadership, and theres nothing better than the mba for that aspect.