Does anyone plan on applying to Medprep (SIU)? or already has?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaySmoove

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone gonna apply to med prep for the 2009 class?

Members don't see this ad.

I am thinking about it! Do you know how competitive it is? It would be great if any former students or people knowledgeable about the program can share some of their thoughts! :luck:

Im not sure, how competitive it is. And I have been trying to contact past alumni on this network for months now. (I have not recieved any replies) But you should perform a search on this site. There is plenty of information. The only problem is that the info is a few years old. Check it out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on applying to the program, I spoke with the folk at admission they said at least 7 on Bio and 6 on verbal you get an automatic admission into SIU medicine. Only problem is it geared only towards SIU.

cool that other people on here are applying! maybe we will be classmates!!

I am also considering applying to the GEMS program. I have tried to ask here and also call and email their office but have had no luck in getting my question answered: Do students have to retake the mcat before they can be admitted to G'Town or do they just have to pass the med school classes?

You just have to pass the classes. My friend was in it a few years ago. He's an M2 now.

I might apply too(SIU-MEDPREP), but I havent been able to get to much feedback on SDN. Any updates from anyone in the program? Also, How true is it about the automatic admission to SIU?

Anyone hear back for the first round?

Last edited:
I was thinking about applying to the program until i discovered that the program was nearly $60,000 a year... and scholarships are not available for the first year. That price range is not an option for me, even with loans. After speaking with one of the recruitment officers from the program, I found out that it is possible, although highly ill advised, to skip the first year and go straight to the second.

I am also applying to MEDPREP.... for the second cycle actually.... but I have heard a lot of positive and negative information about the program so ill like to learn more about it.... and do anyone know if there is a minimal mcat score for entering the program????

there is no minimum and you dont have to have a score to apply...

There is no minimum MCAT, you don't even have to take it to get in. I'm not too sure about the minimal GPA, but I believe they look at whether they would be able to help you boost your current GPA to where it needs to be within a year to at least get into SIU SOM.

The alliance they have with SIU SOM is great! You need a 2.7 GPA (BCPM and overall), 7 verbal and 7 biological, and a Strongly Recommend LOR to receive automatic acceptance.

You learn a lot about SIU SOM during your time in MEDPREP and it seems like such a great school!

accepted to siu Cycl 2 2009 entrance

Members don't see this ad :)
Summer 09 entry group.... join facebook MEDPREP group so we can get to meet one another!!!Can't wait to meet yall!!! I've started a Post!!!

Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything. We were supposed to get a final decision around mid May, and I believe the program starts end of June, I have not heard anything. Does anyone know the reason for the delayed decision, or am I just out of the loop:eek:?

I am applying for the MEDPREP SIU program to go to Dental school. Does anyone know if the 2nd year is optional? Is there anyone in the program who knows what the acceptance is based off of? Any info would be useful....thanks.

Hi everyone I've read about everyone that is excited about their entrance into SIUC. I am also goining that gang...although I have not been accepted I an hoping and praying that I will. The deadline is Sept 15 for June 2010 entry. I am looking forward to visiting pretty soon and am pretty excited about getting more information from a student's prospective. Would someone please let me know where to look on face book for the group that has just recently been started. I would like to be included in the mix also. Also Congrats to evryone who got accepted....same your books...I'm a comming...

I am applying for the January deadline, Im working now to bang out my application!

I applied to medprep for 2010 cycle already and I was told that I should hear something in the coming weeks.

Just curious...are those of you that just applied recently from Illinois? I don't know much about the program, but when I visited a minority function at Illinois in Chicago there were quite a few representatives who are currently students there that had been through MEDPREP.

Just curious...are those of you that just applied recently from Illinois? I don't know much about the program, but when I visited a minority function at Illinois in Chicago there were quite a few representatives who are currently students there that had been through MEDPREP.

I am from Illinois.

I just submitted my MEDPREP app and transcripts last Monday. Waiting on my LOR's... Someone was asking where we're all from; I'm from Tempe, AZ. My fiance' is a grad student at SIUC and she's works with Layla Murphy's mother and thru her, she's heard a LOT of good things about the program.

I just submitted my MEDPREP app and transcripts last Monday. Waiting on my LOR's... Someone was asking where we're all from; I'm from Tempe, AZ. My fiance' is a grad student at SIUC and she's works with Layla Murphy's mother and thru her, she's heard a LOT of good things about the program.

Do you know if the admission's day is mandatory?

I'm applying as well.

I haven't had time to write the essays, etc.

What kind of stats do you guys have? 3.o here.

I'm applying as well.

I haven't had time to write the essays, etc.

What kind of stats do you guys have? 3.o here.

3.03 on my microbiology degree at Arizona State and 3.92 on my community health education degree at Northern Arizona. I'm registered for the April 2010 MCAT and I hope that I'll score in the 30ish range...

Here's a 2003 article (see the attachment) that was published about MEDPREP. Good overview of the history, purpose, mission, and states of the program up to that point.

Attachments

• MEDPREP_30_Years_of_Making_a_Difference.5[1].pdf
    76 KB · Views: 471
Catchy title huh. Well I would like to share with someone....strangers huh... well I geuss something keeps us all comming back here... Any way I just wanted to encourage everyone that has and will apply. I don't know what I was doing that I did not check my e-mail .....but I got invited to admissions day!!! Yay. whew...thank God really. Well someone was asking if the Admissions day was mantatory. Yes it is it tells you in your acceptance letter, and they give you two days to choose from. It also says that you will have to take a test !!!! Does anyone have any insight about that I am really like what is that all about..... anay way where all all the folks that already got accepted help us out let us wanna-b's know how you like the school.

Oh yeah I am from MS

Catchy title huh. Well I would like to share with someone....strangers huh... well I geuss something keeps us all comming back here... Any way I just wanted to encourage everyone that has and will apply. I don't know what I was doing that I did not check my e-mail .....but I got invited to admissions day!!! Yay. whew...thank God really. Well someone was asking if the Admissions day was mantatory. Yes it is it tells you in your acceptance letter, and they give you two days to choose from. It also says that you will have to take a test !!!! Does anyone have any insight about that I am really like what is that all about..... anay way where all all the folks that already got accepted help us out let us wanna-b's know how you like the school.

Oh yeah I am from MS

What up! lol I got an interview invite to admission day too!! What day are you going? I am from Chicago. I have also talked to people already in the program on facebook! Join the facebook group. They are really helpful. The test is basically testing your knowledge of bio and chem from what I heard. It shouldnt be that bad tho.

I might apply too(SIU-MEDPREP), but I havent been able to get to much feedback on SDN. Any updates from anyone in the program? Also, How true is it about the automatic admission to SIU?

There is no automatic admissions to the med school from what I have heard (and that comes from Ms. Layla Murphy, the program coordinator); however, she did tell me that if you do reasonably well in the program (3.0+ and 24+ MCAT), you have a good shot at getting into SIU. She also said that a number of students have had great success with getting into other medical schools, especially med schools in the midwest. If you want to get some info about the program, I'd suggest e-mailing or calling Ms. Murphy. I know that the last few weeks have been very busy as she was hand entering transcripts for students that applied for the September deadline and she said that they (the admissions committe) would soon be looking at the applications.

Do you know if the admission's day is mandatory?

Ms. Murphy did tell me that the admisisons day is mandatory; however, if there is some reason that you can't make it, they may make an exception for you. From what I have seen, if you communicate with the folks in MEDPREP, they are very understanding and are willing to work with the students.

A few folks have been asking about the MEDPREP Admissions day (is it required, what does it consist of, etc...) I've spoken with Ms. Murphy about that and it is required; if you have a personal circumstance that would prevent you from attending, you would need to communicate that to the program staff ASAP. I'm not saying that they would waive the day foryou; I really don't know if they would; however, my conversations with Ms. Murphy have indicated that they are understanding. I found a blog that a student posted last January about his experience with Admissions Day:

http://jasonspears26.blogspot.com/2009/01/southern-illionis-university-medprep.html

I've also attached an article (dated from 2007) that has a couple of paragraphs about Admissions Day.

Attachments

• APS_Oct_07_Skipjack.pdf
    71 KB · Views: 384
Hey all who applied to SIU, once you turned in all the necessary info, how soon did you get a reply for an interview and when do you find out if you got in? I got all my stuff in last week and I am just wondering when I am going to be called for an interview.

Hey all who applied to SIU, once you turned in all the necessary info, how soon did you get a reply for an interview and when do you find out if you got in? I got all my stuff in last week and I am just wondering when I am going to be called for an interview.

It took a few days for them to confirm that my app was complete. I called to make sure though. My application was complete Sept and I received an interview invite in early october for the oct 26 interview. Are you applying for the january deadline?

Also,have you heard how we are supposed to pay for the program? Well when I went to the interview in october, they told us that we are considered undergrad and that we would have to use undergrad loans to finance the program which is impossible for most people who already have a bachelors. So I don't know how they expect people to pay 40k without being considered graduate.

Ms. Murphy did tell me that the admisisons day is mandatory; however, if there is some reason that you can't make it, they may make an exception for you. From what I have seen, if you communicate with the folks in MEDPREP, they are very understanding and are willing to work with the students.

Hey I should be hearing back from medprep in the next few weeks but I was wondering if you found out any info on how to finance the program other than undergrad loans? Do they consider the participant graduate for financial purposes?

oh ok thanks for that. yeah that's a good question, but they would have to assume that you can get graduate loans, because some people even have a graduate degree, so you would have to qualify for graduate loans...i would assume. also, i hate to pry..i'm just curious about people's stats....i know they say 2.0, but i'm nervous! my undergrad (bad) 2.95 BCPM 2.66 mcat 20p graduate(mph) current: 3.44 i have a shot right?

oh yeah, i am applying for the jan deadline..forgot to mention that oo

oh yeah, i am applying for the jan deadline..forgot to mention that oo

Oh yea you should be fine. When I applied my gpa was 2.7 and my science gpa 2.6. However I'm a senior in college so it will def go up by june. You have a masters? That's great. There were two girls at my interview who also had masters. One girl even had a masters from johns hopkins lol. So yea you should be fine. Good luck! I should be hearing from them in december so I will keep everyone posted on sdn lol.

Oh yeah, I meant to tell you, there is another forum on sdn that says that you are classified as an undergraduate, but for financial purposes are considered graduate. Go to the one that says :SIU, anyone in the program...something along those lines.

hope that helps

Oh yea you should be fine. When I applied my gpa was 2.7 and my science gpa 2.6. However I'm a senior in college so it will def go up by june. You have a masters? That's great. There were two girls at my interview who also had masters. One girl even had a masters from johns hopkins lol. So yea you should be fine. Good luck! I should be hearing from them in december so I will keep everyone posted on sdn lol.

Do u have any idea about how many people applied ?

My fiance' is a doctoral student at SIUC and she sent me a news report that aired in Carbondale last night. The jist of it is that the school is pretty close to being broke right now and without a massive infusion of cash from the state, they may not be able to keep its doors open: http://www.wsiltv.com/p/videos.php?videoID=5358&newsID=8979&type=top&vidType=smMov

Now, I do not feel that the state will allow a major university to shut down, even on a temporary basis; however, the state and school will have to make some tough decisions regarding what programs to keep, which to ax, and how to dole out the dwindling pot of money. Now, I am not suggesting that MEDPREP will get the ax but I imagine that funding for the program will get a bit thinner and that may impact the sources and amount(s) of financial aid that post bac students can receive. I'm calling the financial aid office and hope to speak with Layla Murphy next week so that I can get some idea of how the budget crisis may impact MEDPREP students ability to get adequate student loans for the program. Whatever I find out, I'll post it here.

SIU Budget Crisis Forces Drastic Measures

1260414373_sm.jpg

JACKSON COUNTY-- SIUC administrators have their finger on the panic button.

They say the state owes them $140-million and if they don't pay up this month, drastic measures will follow.

Not only is SIU tossing around the idea of layoff’s, President Glenn Poshard says they may be forced to shut down the university altogether.

"We seriously have to look beginning of March shutting down or cutting a lot of jobs out of here" says Poshard.

In a meeting with the board of trustees Poshard delivered the bad news and some drastic solutions; including dipping into restricted funds.

"There's probably an illegal way to borrow those funds if we wanted to but it just doesn't seem like a very good practice" says Board Treasurer, Duane Stucky.

Board member Bill Bonan was appalled by the suggestion.

"This is not something that is good at all! To not have a plan and to be here December 10th or 9th this is not good" said Bonan.

Poshard replied, "Bill we've cut the crap out of this place. We've slowed down payments to the point of $25 million right?"

The University saw the problem coming.

They implemented a hiring freeze and cut spending, but it hasn't been enough.

"There are no easy choices... we haven't violated one thing. Until this time we've managed to keep our head above water but we can't do it any longer" said Poshard.

By: Christen Craig
[email protected]

Were you able to get a hold of Layla?

My fiance' is a doctoral student at SIUC and she sent me a news report that aired in Carbondale last night. The jist of it is that the school is pretty close to being broke right now and without a massive infusion of cash from the state, they may not be able to keep its doors open: http://www.wsiltv.com/p/videos.php?videoID=5358&newsID=8979&type=top&vidType=smMov

Now, I do not feel that the state will allow a major university to shut down, even on a temporary basis; however, the state and school will have to make some tough decisions regarding what programs to keep, which to ax, and how to dole out the dwindling pot of money. Now, I am not suggesting that MEDPREP will get the ax but I imagine that funding for the program will get a bit thinner and that may impact the sources and amount(s) of financial aid that post bac students can receive. I'm calling the financial aid office and hope to speak with Layla Murphy next week so that I can get some idea of how the budget crisis may impact MEDPREP students ability to get adequate student loans for the program. Whatever I find out, I'll post it here.

SIU Budget Crisis Forces Drastic Measures

1260414373_sm.jpg

JACKSON COUNTY-- SIUC administrators have their finger on the panic button.

They say the state owes them $140-million and if they don't pay up this month, drastic measures will follow.

Not only is SIU tossing around the idea of layoff’s, President Glenn Poshard says they may be forced to shut down the university altogether.

"We seriously have to look beginning of March shutting down or cutting a lot of jobs out of here" says Poshard.

In a meeting with the board of trustees Poshard delivered the bad news and some drastic solutions; including dipping into restricted funds.

"There's probably an illegal way to borrow those funds if we wanted to but it just doesn't seem like a very good practice" says Board Treasurer, Duane Stucky.

Board member Bill Bonan was appalled by the suggestion.

"This is not something that is good at all! To not have a plan and to be here December 10th or 9th this is not good" said Bonan.

Poshard replied, "Bill we've cut the crap out of this place. We've slowed down payments to the point of $25 million right?"

The University saw the problem coming.

They implemented a hiring freeze and cut spending, but it hasn't been enough.

"There are no easy choices... we haven't violated one thing. Until this time we've managed to keep our head above water but we can't do it any longer" said Poshard.

By: Christen Craig
[email protected]

Were you able to get a hold of Layla?

I've spoken with Ms. Murphy and her advice was to contact the financial aid office as far as finding out how the current financial situation at the school may impact your ability to obtain loans. Its true that MEDPREP offers tuition scholarships but these are for the most part reserved for 2nd year students. My advice would be to start planning early in terms of finances no matter where you plan to attend. I found out tonight that the BMS program at Rosalind Franklin SoM offers five full tuition scholarships to URMs (37k) so that may be an option for some and U of Cincy SMP allows students to TA/RA in other departments on campus and that will grant you a tuition waiver and a small monthly stipend. My point in mentioning all of this is to explore all options and leave no stone unturned. MEDPREP (or any other program) can be paid for but you have to start planning now and you'll have to be creative in searching for funds...

I was wondering if any of you guys have been accepted and if so, any advice?

I got a invite to Admissions day!:) I'm pretty excited but nervous because I'm not sure what to expect as far as interviews and testing..anyone in the program or cycle 1 that can offer some help? Thanks!