does anyone know?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vet4ever

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
does any one know of any vets that are hiring or would consider, a young person, who is not a vet? for the rochester minnesota area? like for on the job training as a assistant, etc. i really want to find a job at a vet clinic. and my vet does not offer that sort of thing because it is a small area.(clinic). i can be any thing as simple as cleaning, etc. just as long as i would get to work there and gets chances to view what a vet does. many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most vet clinics that I am familiar with will hire a responsible person at least 16 years old as a kennel tech. Most likely, you will have to clean kennels, walk and feed dogs and cats, and sweep and mop for a while before you are considered for any other position. After working in the kennels for a while, if you impress your bosses you may be allowed to become a receptionist. If you work out well as a receptionist you may be able to train as a veterinary assistant. This is just the procedure at clinics that I am familiar with. I am sure it is slightly different at every clinic.

Most vet clinics that I am familiar with will hire a responsible person at least 16 years old as a kennel tech. Most likely, you will have to clean kennels, walk and feed dogs and cats, and sweep and mop for a while before you are considered for any other position. After working in the kennels for a while, if you impress your bosses you may be allowed to become a receptionist. If you work out well as a receptionist you may be able to train as a veterinary assistant. This is just the procedure at clinics that I am familiar with. I am sure it is slightly different at every clinic.

ok! so does that apply to country vets too or city vets?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have limited experience with rural or large animal practices. My experiences have been in small animal clinics in small-medium sized cities.

Vet4ever,

As far as a vet to work for, perhaps your own vet could give you some ideas, or even the horse trainer that you know, on places and clinics to contact, etc.

I also wanted to tell you that it is nice to see a young person so excited about pursuing their dream of becoming a vet. Now is a good time to work on your "whole person" in order to take you where you want to go. By that I mean that you should consider working on areas of improvement like spelling, grammar, etc., so that you are a really well-rounded individual and an awesome candidate for vet school down the road.

Vet4ever,

As far as a vet to work for, perhaps your own vet could give you some ideas, or even the horse trainer that you know, on places and clinics to contact, etc.

I also wanted to tell you that it is nice to see a young person so excited about pursuing their dream of becoming a vet. Now is a good time to work on your "whole person" in order to take you where you want to go. By that I mean that you should consider working on areas of improvement like spelling, grammar, etc., so that you are a really well-rounded individual and an awesome candidate for vet school down the road.

thanks! thas so nice of you to say! i truly apprecate the compliment!