Does anyone have a wealth of knowledge about the DR programs across the country?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VivaElBirdos

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have geographic preferences that are somewhat random due to where family is at (Midwest and parts of the non-California west) and also have certain things I am looking for in a program (procedure heavy) as well a somewhat unique application (lower than average step, really solid research, T25 school). I’d like to get input from someone in the know if possible about where would be a good fit and where to try to network into

Members don't see this ad.

I have geographic preferences that are somewhat random due to where family is at (Midwest and parts of the non-California west) and also have certain things I am looking for in a program (procedure heavy) as well a somewhat unique application (lower than average step, really solid research, T25 school). I’d like to get input from someone in the know if possible about where would be a good fit and where to try to network into
this was interesting

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, very helpful. Was hoping someone would have an opinion if I would be more competitive for community or low/mid tier academics with lower than average step and really solid research. Specifically looking at programs like Arizona, Mayo AZ, Utah, Spokane, Peoria/Springfield IL. Hoping to have high volume and a lot of light IR training

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, very helpful. Was hoping someone would have an opinion if I would be more competitive for community or low/mid tier academics with lower than average step and really solid research. Specifically looking at programs like Arizona, Mayo AZ, Utah, Spokane, Peoria/Springfield IL. Hoping to have high volume and a lot of light IR training
I can't say whether or not you'd be competitive, but you might check your assumptions about Mayo AZ and Utah

I would not consider either "community or low/mid tier academics"

Lots of the faculty at Utah are StatDx authors and are well known. Even more of the faculty at Mayo AZ are nationally-recognized professors, with many editors of national journals (Menias--RadioGraphics; Ross--Am Journal of Neuroradiology; Johnson--Abdominal Imaging) and many presidents/former presidents of national societies.

Both of those places are heavy hitters. Not saying don't try, but not in the playground you mention.

I can't say whether or not you'd be competitive, but you might check your assumptions about Mayo AZ and Utah

I would not consider either "community or low/mid tier academics"

Lots of the faculty at Utah are StatDx authors and are well known. Even more of the faculty at Mayo AZ are nationally-recognized professors, with many editors of national journals (Menias--RadioGraphics; Ross--Am Journal of Neuroradiology; Johnson--Abdominal Imaging) and many presidents/former presidents of national societies.

Both of those places are heavy hitters. Not saying don't try, but not in the playground you mention.
Yeah I have always seen low to mid tier here placed in quotation marks because in reality many places are very similar and have high levels of training. I haven’t seen those names in particular placed among the elite/ivory tower type places or known as “top programs” on doximity. Certainly no disrespect was intended.

SLU seems malignant. My program was cushy relatively.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a fellow medical student but a good summary of programs is available through this google doc and the Scutwork(filter by radiology) website. Might be good places to start.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if you know about this, but here's the link to last year's radiology excel sheet. You can read comments about programs here: