Does anyone else struggle with anxiety at work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Money talks for most people, as the other poster just implied. So I don't think I'm mistaken.
But let's just forget the whole SDG thing. CMG only. Anyone with experience?
Just started a new poll thread to see how many nights people do on average, curious about this as well

Members don't see this ad.

I don't mind nights unless it's at a busy site where I'm up ALL night. Then, F that. My nights shifts start out a bit busy but then thinned out at midnight. I routinely get 3hrs of sleep.

Underserved communities are usually the worst places to work nights since the uninsured, druggies and medicaid patients utilize the ER at all hours of the night.
I didn't know this was a possibility until I started New Job 2 months ago.

I was in a hospital employed group where I paid about $20k per year for no nights. I would do a couple of shifts per month that ended at 2a. Night shifts are brutal at this place with typically taking the whole night to get the WR cleared out. I’ve never worked a shop where it’s possible to sleep at night. My current rural job is in a prison and nursing home industry area (cheap labor) so get a steady stream from those places all night.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had one gig once years ago where you might get a few hours of sleep. I worked a lot of nights by the end of my EM days (*prepandemic.)
Freestanding. Sweet setup.

And then one night I actually was asleep and a crashing, bradycardic 99% LAD STEMI came in by private vehicle at 5am.
Took me a full minute to wake up and grasp what the nurse was yelling.
Couldn't get the STEMI cardiologists on the phone, couldn't get the cath lab activated, it was a cluster nightmare. Ended up calling the ER at the mothership and giving them the heads up that I was lights-and-sirening a disaster their way.

She lived and did well, but it ruined the place for me.
And even though I did occasionally get nights where I could lie down, I never managed to sleep-sleep there again.
I was not an inherently anxious person, but I was after that night.

(And FWIW, I got a ton of pedi airways in training, thanks to a single solid pedi anesthesia attending who made me really learn. I bagged a kid through a whole cardiac procedure. I tubed a bunch of kids... one three times while he yelled "do not intubate the toes!" and yanked the tube back out when I went too deep. It was safe, controlled and made me rock steady because at that hospital, we saw every Make-A-Wish kid who got sick on their Disney trip.)

But I am also old, and do not envy you all on the "other side."
(Of both medicine, and at the beginnings of your careers.)

Has anyone been able to sign a contract for day shifts only?

These are the most desirable shifts of all. I guess you might be able to find a group that would allow it IF you took a big financial hit but my guess is your best bet is to do some prn stuff and only pick up day shifts. You might get a shift or two a month but you won’t get a full schedule.

Money talks for most people, as the other poster just implied. So I don't think I'm mistaken.
But let's just forget the whole SDG thing. CMG only. Anyone with experience?
If you find a desperate place they will likely put in the contract to work only days. If its a more desirable, they likely will not but you can always do it.

Depending on the site 500/nt will typically do it.