Does anyone else agree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
that it's ridiculously difficult to obtain research jobs at Canadian universities??

It seems that unless you kiss up to someone for a whole semester you don't even have a shot. Unless you win the research awards or know the prof really really well there's no hope.

I spent a lot of time looking up internships/research jobs online this year and it seems like all the good positions are at American colleges. Almost as if they are more open about accepting students and giving them a chance down there.

Members don't see this ad.

mac_kin said:
that it's ridiculously difficult to obtain research jobs at Canadian universities??

It seems that unless you kiss up to someone for a whole semester you don't even have a shot. Unless you win the research awards or know the prof really really well there's no hope.

I spent a lot of time looking up internships/research jobs online this year and it seems like all the good positions are at American colleges. Almost as if they are more open about accepting students and giving them a chance down there.

are you doing your masters? or are you looking for a research asistant job? what about clinical research? I am trying to get out of my job- i want a holiday.

I find that it's hard to compare Canada and US applicants altogether. I'm probably wrong, but I see that US students get a lot more opportunities even for volunteering and part-time jobs and what not.

There's probably a general consensus out there that the chances of getting a good paying job in general is much better in the states just because there's so many people, companies, and a strong economy..

anyway - i say go apply in the states and see if your theory holds true!

Members don't see this ad :)
mac_kin said:

Are you talking about undergrad, with an undergrad, masters, phd, post-doc?? These all depends. I would say the US is probably easier as there are more opportunities, but that doesn't mean there are no opportunities in Canada. I think you just have to look a bit harder. However, do apply to the states, there are some amazing research opportunities there.

Keep in mind that not all jobs will be posted on the internet. Many are just word-of-mouth. I did a directed study as part of my undergrad degree which could have led to a lab tech job if I'd wanted it. Write letters to profs explaining who you are and what you can offer, and you might be surprised at what you find. I have a feeling most of this stuff isn't just posted on the net... you have to dig for it. But that's just my experience so far, which isn't very comprehensive!

tiger_lily said:
Keep in mind that not all jobs will be posted on the internet. Many are just word-of-mouth. QUOTE]

I agree. My current job was never advertised. Its a great job, which pays me to hang out with doctors.

shetland said:
tiger_lily said:
Keep in mind that not all jobs will be posted on the internet. Many are just word-of-mouth. QUOTE]

I agree. My current job was never advertised. Its a great job, which pays me to hang out with doctors.

I just went around the Biochem deparment asking profs - do you have any jobs oppening up. Just like that, blatantly. At the very least, they could point me in the direction of labs that needed people. And, voila, I found a job :D

mac_kin said:

Like many of the other posters mentioned- most jobs are through "word of mouth". I got all my research jobs/positions through "word of mouth", not through any advertisements. I think you should investigate the different research projects going on in your faculty then approach the professors in question, expressing your interest in their lab. Bring a cv along and tell them why working in a lab will help you in your career objectives. If they don't have a post available, ask them if they can refer you to anyone seeking a research assistant.

shetland said:

This is so true. My current job was never advertised to the public either. It's a GREAT job and gives me tons of experience with patients (sometimes cancer patients), research/lab, doctors and nurses. The monthly research meetings get pretty intense too when all the docs meet and there is me in the middle of all of them.

Sometimes I have no idea what they are saying, and the first couple of times it was VERY intimidating....lol...that all changed after when I realized that 50% of the time they are making fun of each other....

But yeah I got really lucky. I literally bumped into an old friend who was leaving this position and I was looking for a position. Just by telling one of the docs, I now have his position. The way my buddy got the position was when his mom and a doctor went to the same church, they started talking, and the doc told his mom he needed a student. And when I leave, I will be telling another one of my friends who would love an oppertunity at this job who is interested in medicine.

I've noticed research jobs are usually given by word of mouth or if you know someone on the inside or through universities where the prof's may be able to set you up with one...

megaman1x said:
when I realized that 50% of the time they are making fun of each other.

Thats so true, doctors make fun of each other. My coleague and I are constantly getting "fired", but my boss/doctor is only joking (I hope). Still I am terrified of him.