besides the examinations, what else?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mertt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I guess what i'm gonna ask was asked thousands of times before me. First of all, sorry for this.
I'm a medical student and i'm in my third year. I want to get matched in Canada for medical residency. (i'm from Turkey).
The question is, besides all the examinations (MCCEE, NAC etc.), what else should i do to be matched easier?
For example, if i learn french (as my third foreign language), would it be beneficial for matching or in interviews?
if i do an observership in the summer before i graduated, would that help too?
what about reference letters? Do they make big differences (especially letters written by canadian doctors?)

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

First, do you have permanent residency or Canadian citizenship?
I think it's unlikely to match without clinical experience in the Canadian medical system. An observership is better than nothing but not by much; what you really need are rotations in Canada.

Reactions: 1 user
French is a huge positive on your application. If you check out the CARMs website, there
was over 30+ residency slots left unfilled in Quebec, even after the 2nd iteration. Usually because
there aren't enough applicants fluent in French.

Remember that a program will likely always want to fill a slot (with a suitable candidate) over just letting it stay unfilled,
If a slot remains unfilled too many years in a row their funding will get slashed.