Does a letter of rec from a Psychology professor count as a science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmoh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, so I'm going to be a senior this fall and I want to apply to optometry school this summer. I am struggling to find letters of recommendation. I was thinking of asking my previous psychology professor but was not sure if this would count as a science letter? Does anyone know if optometry schools will consider this a science? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Phycology: as in the study of seaweed and algae?

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think they will consider psychology a science letter but you can certainly include it as an additional letter from a teacher. For science, I didn't have any really close professors, most of mine were huge lecture hall classes. However, if you did well in a science class, ask that professor if they would be willing. My science letter wasn't very personal because he honestly didn't know me but he was a reputable professor and it satisfied the requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think they will consider psychology a science letter but you can certainly include it as an additional letter from a teacher. For science, I didn't have any really close professors, most of mine were huge lecture hall classes. However, if you did well in a science class, ask that professor if they would be willing. My science letter wasn't very personal because he honestly didn't know me but he was a reputable professor and it satisfied the requirement.
How did you manage to get a letter of rec from a science professor? I have asked about 4 that I got an A or B+ in the class with no luck.

Generally I tried to ask them in person, I usually get better luck that way as they will probably have a harder time saying no to your face unless you were a nightmare student lol. I would often email them to ask what their office hours are like that week and go see them, and make it clear that the letter doesn't have to be super personal if they're worried about that.