Doctors underpaid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lunaris

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok guys i know money isnt something doctors usualy enjoy discussing however plz tell me what u think of doctors salary compared to acting salary..

dont u find it absolutly ridiculouse when 18 or so year olds like lindsay lohan ( just an example) star in a movie and earn 20m ??

whereas the highest paid Doctor profession get a maximum of 1m per year ( now remember it ranges from 300k-600k usually, so 1m is very rare)

not to mention the years of hard work they put into getting in medschool and even risking getting sued if something goes wrong and having their liscense provoked and so on .. ( as much as we hate to say it it has happened in alot of cases :/ )

i think all doctors shopuld go on strike until either actors get paid less OR Surgeons get paid 20m a year. :)

Members don't see this ad.

where's all that money going to come from?

You know, I remember in about 10th grade still thinking the world was supposed to be fair. And I remember one of my uncles giving me this elaborate talk about how the world isn't fair. I know it sounds stupid, but once I grew up enough to really realize this, my life has been much better. So I suggest you grow up too and realize that it doesn't really matter what anyone else is faced with. It only matters what challenges you face. So quit bitc*%^ and face them. And remember, several people were murdered today around the world for no damn reason.....so maybe your situation looks a little better now....only having to be a doctor and all....

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, i'm seeing a lot of threads pop up about money. what's up with this???? i mean, yeah, we all love nice clothes, fancy cars, and big houses, but you'd get bored sooner or later without some kind of life's passion. how about we just focus on our own goals and aspirations of becoming a physician and helping people out while making a very comfortable living? not everybody needs a mansion to be happy. and besides, being in the spotlight has its disadvantages.

think hard about going into medicine. you're just going to get more and more bitter along the way if your only brass ring is bling.

where's all that money going to come from?

george-bush.gif

(Well said UTPremed)

**** that. Let's keep the salary where it is now, where you can live more than comfortably, but not lavishly, and keep out all the money-grubbing dinguses and keep the ones truly motivated to do medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
i think all doctors shopuld go on strike until either actors get paid less OR Surgeons get paid 20m a year. :)

As others have suggested, as soon as surgeons manage to see as many millions of patients a year as an individual actor's annual movie patrons, then salaries will flip. If you only have a few hundred to thousand customers a year there's only so much you can ever earn.

ok guys i know money isnt something doctors usualy enjoy discussing however plz tell me what u think of doctors salary compared to acting salary..

dont u find it absolutly ridiculouse when 18 or so year olds like lindsay lohan ( just an example) star in a movie and earn 20m ??

whereas the highest paid Doctor profession get a maximum of 1m per year ( now remember it ranges from 300k-600k usually, so 1m is very rare)

not to mention the years of hard work they put into getting in medschool and even risking getting sued if something goes wrong and having their liscense provoked and so on .. ( as much as we hate to say it it has happened in alot of cases :/ )

First only very few actors are superstars. Most are very poor.

Second, even the good actors have dry spells and cant land a job when a good doctor can always work.

Third, 300-600k is not usual for most doctors. most doctors are around 150-300.

Fourth, doctors have a 100x more respectable jobs as we are masters of our own realm; whereas, linday lohan has to listen to her director and mommy.

Fifth, why are we comparring doctors and actors.... are you just bored and making things up to post a thread.

Sixth, If you have a problem with being paid more than 99% of the world, you got problems.

Seven, If you are in for the money, being a Doctor is not the best approach. With the amount of hours they spend, you could make twice of money with half the effort in Buisness. Buisness is where the top dogs are at.

**** that. Let's keep the salary where it is now, where you can live more than comfortably, but not lavishly, and keep out all the money-grubbing dinguses and keep the ones truly motivated to do medicine.

Oh comon surely your not telling me money isnt a factor for u? you know theres ALOT more jobs out there where u get to help people and get paid nothing so why not do that instead?

im sick of people who say money isnt an issue for them to look good here but it is whether they wanna admit it or not..

i just find it unfair when HARD WORKING surgeons WORK THEIR **** OFF TO GET IN MED SCHOOL and become surgeons and have AN 18 OR EVEN YOUNGER ACT IN A MOVIE AND EARN MORE THAN THEY DOCTOR WILL IN HIS LIFETIME.
:thumbdown:
a reasonable society we live in huh?

Second, even the good actors have dry spells and cant land a job when a good doctor can always work.

Sixth, If you have a problem with being paid more than 99% of the world, you got problems.

(I like these two points)

I agree. Go take a peek at a third world country. Even if you are on welfare, live in a 1 bedroom apartment, and drive a 1968 chevy, you'll feel lucky and grateful.

The world isn't fair, all you can do is learn to deal with it and move on.

As others have suggested, as soon as surgeons manage to see as many millions of patients a year as an individual actor's annual movie patrons, then salaries will flip. If you only have a few hundred to thousand customers a year there's only so much you can ever earn.

well then the government needs to throw in an extra $$$ or 2 . :)

Fifth, why are we comparring doctors and actors.... are you just bored and making things up to post a thread.

QUOTE]

Who cares if they cant land a job after getting paid 20m ? thats more than the avreage surgeon earns in his lifetime.

im not comparing actos and doctors.. Actors are not in the same category as doctors, im taking about their salary not their profession.

im not upset about that.. im upset that kids sometimes earn more than retired doctors in their lifetime.

Oh comon surely your not telling me money isnt a factor for u? you know theres ALOT more jobs out there where u get to help people and get paid nothing so why not do that instead?

im sick of people who say money isnt an issue for them to look good here but it is whether they wanna admit it or not..

i just find it unfair when HARD WORKING surgeons WORK THEIR **** OFF TO GET IN MED SCHOOL and become surgeons and have AN 18 OR EVEN YOUNGER ACT IN A MOVIE AND EARN MORE THAN THEY DOCTOR WILL IN HIS LIFETIME.

Some ppl are born with money and never need to work a day in their life. Some ppl are born into pouverty and can never do enough to support their family. Life isn't fair, you will just need to accept that,; however, your perception may be deceiving. Money is nothing to some and everything to others. Yet, have you ever though of what you may lose when you get what you wished for? There is always a sacrifice. If you really want to make a difference, go into politics-become a senate, judge, or president. If not, then hold your silence. Life is a journey, enjoy it and learn what it has to offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
well then the government needs to throw in an extra $$$ or 2 . :)

Why? The government can probably get by throwing even less than they do now (and probably will, in their effort to reduce healthcare costs). Why should Joe Taxpayer pay more taxes so his doctor can be richer? It would be political career suicide for any elected official to even suggest such a thing. Welcome to real life.

This is a pretty ridiculous thread. Who cares? And why focus on just doctors? Pretty much everyone makes nothing compared to the richest of actors. If you have such a problem, I suggest you go on strike first. I will still be here in med school hoping to become a broke doctor one day....

It's hard for people who hold money in such a high regard to believe that other people may not. That's just human nature.

As for the thread. I like entertainers and I think that they should keep earning massive amounts of money. For every one superstar making millions, there are hundreds out there that didn't make it. So for people following a dream, I say it's okay to reward the ones that make it.

your asking where all the money comes from.. A better question would be where does all the millions of dollars earned by kids who landed a lucky role go to? what do actors need 100s of millions for? if theres that much money flowing around then it could be used for better causes..

Fourth, doctors have a 100x more respectable jobs as we are masters of our own realm; whereas, linday lohan has to listen to her director and mommy.

......masters of our own realm? Says who? Ever heard of managed care? Wait till you are harassed by countless questions on the phone from an insurance guy....

To the OP- What you are talking about is neither realistic nor is it ever going to happen. So stop living in your fantasy world and get down to the real world. It'll be good for you and your mental health.

It's hard for people who hold money in such a high regard to believe that other people may not. That's just human nature.

As for the thread. I like entertainers and I think that they should keep earning massive amounts of money. For every one superstar making millions, there are hundreds out there that didn't make it. So for people following a dream, I say it's okay to reward the ones that make it.

Thats called stupidity... read what i posted, why do they need that much money for? oh right i forgot the private jet that every actor has on their checklist. whereas doctors get to get that fabulouse scooter they saw on ebay.. woopee

your asking where all the money comes from.. A better question would be where does all the millions of dollars earned by kids who landed a lucky role go to? what do actors need 100s of millions for? if theres that much money flowing around then it could be used for better causes..

It has nothing to do with "need" or "better causes". Stars get paid money because they put people into theater seats. So the market decides what their presence in a film is worth to the production company. That is capitalism at its finest.

It's all about risk/reward. Sure the top actors make millions, but as someone else said, most of the rest are poor or just trying to get by. Same with business -- there are a few Bill Gates's out there, but most people are in small business making average dough. Acting is one of those professions where you bet on something big and win or lose. If you choose to be a physician, you're practically guaranteed a great lifestyle -- because of that, the earnings ceiling is pretty low compared to the other professions you mention. Besides, you act like a surgeon is such a noble, complex, challenging career that deserves more money than the rest of the world's workers. But if it's so difficult, why not just become an actor and make 20mil a picture? Because it's not so easy since plenty of others would be doing it too.

Personally, I'm not disagreeing with you on principle; physicians are a very necessary part of society. Don't put it on some pedestal though. Many other people's jobs are just as important, and they end up getting paid squat (e.g. teachers).

Go to this site:
http://globalrichlist.com/

Type in 150,000 dollars and see how high on the "rich list" you are. Actually I'll do it for you. If you made 150,000 a year you would be in the top .33% of the world in annual salary.

I suppose none of this means anything to most people, but it is kind of telling of just how rich EVERYONE in America is. I am not saying we should all go donate our money to someone else. At least, respect how wealthy this nation is, and how lucky we are to be in this situation.

It has nothing to do with "need" or "better causes". Stars get paid money because they put people into theater seats. So the market decides what their presence in a film is worth to the production company. That is capitalism at its finest.

yup. tom cruise can command $20M because his films will bring in (at least used to) $300-500M. if any doctor generated that kind of revenue, they would be paid accordingly. think about it - if i told you that if you gave me $1000, i would give you $30,000, less $5000 for me, wouldn't you make that investment? the world is fair - everybody is paid, for the most part, what they are worth - at least to the people doing the paying.

Go to this site:
http://globalrichlist.com/

Type in 150,000 dollars and see how high on the "rich list" you are. Actually I'll do it for you. If you made 150,000 a year you would be in the top .33% of the world in annual salary.

I suppose none of this means anything to most people, but it is kind of telling of just how rich EVERYONE in America is. I am not saying we should all go donate our money to someone else. At least, respect how wealthy this nation is, and how lucky we are to be in this situation.

Thats not the point though. what doctors go through to get to where they are compared to what actors do is way unbalanced financially. Doctors earn well, but if you you compare the highest earning medical profession to the amount earned by actors you will see how unbalanced it is...

and ofcourse doctors earn the highest in the EDUCATION field and so they must, afterall they are the most difficult carrear to get into.

and ofcourse doctors earn the highest in the EDUCATION field and so they must, afterall they are the most difficult carrear to get into.

i don't know, i think some highly-specialized phd programs (like math or something) might be more rigorous than medical training.

yup. tom cruise can command $20M because his films will bring in (at least used to) $300-500M. if any doctor generated that kind of revenue, they would be paid accordingly. think about it - if i told you that if you gave me $1000, i would give you $30,000, less $5000 for me, wouldn't you make that investment? the world is fair - everybody is paid, for the most part, what they are worth - at least to the people doing the paying.

Well i think carrers should be payed accordingly aswell .. You cant compare acting with medicine , law, etc... i think at least 50% of the money earned by entertainers should go to the government and be used for something else. actors dont need that much cash, whether they decide to take this "risk" or not. acting=relaxing.. poking around in someones head all the time =nerve wrecking and time consuming

Thats called stupidity... read what i posted, why do they need that much money for? oh right i forgot the private jet that every actor has on their checklist. whereas doctors get to get that fabulouse scooter they saw on ebay.. woopee

I'm sorry...you're saying disagreeing with you is stupidity? Or were you talking about something else?

If jet planes are what people choose to spend their money on after they earn it, who are you to begrudge them that? What you're saying sounds like: "nobody should have more money than doctors, and if they do have more money than doctors, they should spend it on what I want them to spend it on." It sounds childish.

Well i think carrers should be payed accordingly aswell .. You cant compare acting with medicine , law, etc... i think at least 50% of the money earned by entertainers should go to the government and be used for something else. actors dont need that much cash, whether they decide to take this "risk" or not. acting=relaxing.. poking around in someones head all the time =nerve wrecking and time consuming

I hate to defend actors and others that fit in the entertainment category, but it really can't be that easy. Historically, the arts have made a huge impact on society. It's part of what makes the world tick, and I appreciate what actors, artists, etc., do for a living. Hell, I am sitting here listening to my Ipod as I am supposed to study so I don't fail out of medical school, and this music is about the only thing that is keeping me at my desk right now. So entertainment isn't just about people relaxing for a living. It's part of what we all seek out. That's why they make so much.

I'm sorry...you're saying disagreeing with you is stupidity? Or were you talking about something else?

If jet planes are what people choose to spend their money on after they earn it, who are you to begrudge them that? What you're saying sounds like: "nobody should have more money than doctors, and if they do have more money than doctors, they should spend it on what I want them to spend it on." It sounds childish.

No not u disagreeing with me.. I meant this comment that you made

"I think that they should keep earning MASSIVE AMOUNTS of money" i could care less what they spend their money on , all im saying is they dont need that much money specially kids.

You know, I remember in about 10th grade still thinking the world was supposed to be fair. And I remember one of my uncles giving me this elaborate talk about how the world isn't fair. I know it sounds stupid, but once I grew up enough to really realize this, my life has been much better. So I suggest you grow up too and realize that it doesn't really matter what anyone else is faced with. It only matters what challenges you face. So quit bitc*%^ and face them. And remember, several people were murdered today around the world for no damn reason.....so maybe your situation looks a little better now....only having to be a doctor and all....

Agree with all that you said except the word several. I was thinking more along the lines of hundreds. Many, many more will die of easily preventable disease, starvation, etc. To sit here and whine about making 300K/yr is ridiculous. If you care that much about money, go work on Wall Street.

Agree with all that you said except the word several. I was thinking more along the lines of hundreds. Many, many more will die of easily preventable disease, starvation, etc. To sit here and whine about making 300K/yr is ridiculous. If you care that much about money, go work on Wall Street.

100% true, there are places to make a lot of money if that is what you want

and believe it or not, being a doctor is not the best way to make money

wall street ranks up there

Blame America's love affair with popular culture for allowing pass around's (i.e. hoe's) like Lindsay Lohan to make bank.

You see this all throughout the entertainment industry (sports included)...but its all good. I think we all knew that "it is what it is" when we signed up to pursue a career in a very demanding profession.

Deal with it and keep moving!

That article was interesting. One thing it said was that any doctor could give any kind of care even if it was outside of their specialty. So why all the whining about getting a derm residency? Couldn't you do internal medicine and then just set up shop as a dermatologist when you get out?

i don't think it's that simple - most of these people are performing very basic procedures that require minimal training (i.e. botox injections). dermatology and plastics is a lot more than just cosmetic stuff, but there are certain procedures that are relatively easy and generate a lot of revenue.

The world isn't fair, all you can do is learn to deal with it and move on.

Sort of agree with you here.

OP response: really- money is a factor sure, but as everyone suggested money can be procured many other ways. you can make more money selling crack to kids in one year than you will make in the next ten years of your life pursuing medicine. truth of the matter is, as greedy as anyone on this forum might be- people still want to become doctors for the following three reasons:
1 prestige
2 'helping' people
3 stability

People will always get sick. The only thing i can think of that is a more stable job opp is an undertaker.

As for baylormed's quote-

It's true the world is unfair- i've personally gone to some of these third world country (and used to live in one) and yeah- it sucks. but when you can help counter that unfair aspect by helping another life, it's worth more than any multimillion dollar movie opp. this is why many superstars (pitt, jolie, etc) run around doing altruistic things: because they don't have something doctors are given everyday. and that is the opportunity to make a difference in this unfair world. *steps off soap box*

i don't know, i think some highly-specialized phd programs (like math or something) might be more rigorous than medical training.

lol no way

All of the successful actors you see are probably like only 5% of the entire acting population. And as far as their pay checks? We write 'em. So unless every consumer goes art house, expect Lindsay Lohan to keep raking it in with a huge smirk on her face and all we can do is hate her for it.

But guess who will be there when she ODs on laxatives, cocaine, and ipecac all at the same time or disfigures her face when she flies through her windshield because she didn't wear a seatbelt or when she needs a refill on her Valtrex supply... I digress.:smuggrin:

All of the successful actors you see are probably like only 5% of the entire acting population. And as far as their pay checks? We write 'em. So unless every consumer goes art house, expect Lindsay Lohan to keep raking it in with a huge smirk on her face and all we can do is hate her for it.

But guess who will be there when she ODs on laxatives, cocaine, and ipecac all at the same time or disfigures her face when she flies through her windshield because she didn't wear a seatbelt or when she needs to a refill on her Valtrex supply... I digress.:smuggrin:

if that happens to a doctor, that doctor won't be able to "function" normally :smuggrin:

I agree with the op in that the money aspect of medicine is important. Coming from a small impoverished town myself I know exactly what it's like to struggle, and medicine does provide a comfortable living. Money isn't everything of course, or at least until you're in a position whereas you don't have any.

It sounds like you are arguing for socialism.... except in that case, a physician's wealth would be spread out among the other 66 percent of the world that makes less than we do.

Or just go become an actor. Patrick Dempsey probably makes a whole lot more playing a doctor than most doctors do. And he makes errors every season and still doesn't even need any medmal. Talk about cushy.

:laugh: We need to start suing actors for making ****ty movies or tv shows and subjecting us to their crap... actor malpractice insurance, that'll be some funny stuff

Motivation is motivation. If their motivation is money, then good for them. If your motivation is to watch people's watery stool drip, then good for you.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're very young, Lunaris, no?

Sounds like you really thought this through. It's capitalism. Lindsay Lohan wouldn't make money if people didn't go see her movies. YOU are paying her salary. Same goes for athletes. What about hard-working elementary school teachers who make $30,000 a year? Shouldn't they get more? How about someone working two full-time jobs in fast food? They're working pretty hard!

If you provide a service/product that no one else can, you'll get paid more. No one else in the world can do what Michael Jordan did, so there's no argument for me that he was worth a LOT of money.

wow, i'm seeing a lot of threads pop up about money. what's up with this???? i mean, yeah, we all love nice clothes, fancy cars, and big houses, but you'd get bored sooner or later without some kind of life's passion. how about we just focus on our own goals and aspirations of becoming a physician and helping people out while making a very comfortable living? not everybody needs a mansion to be happy. and besides, being in the spotlight has its disadvantages.

think hard about going into medicine. you're just going to get more and more bitter along the way if your only brass ring is bling.

I agree with your main points.

But I would add that money sure as hell helps you pursue your passions outside of medicine. Even if it just means that you can afford to pay someone to do some things (cleaning, home maintenance, etc) to free you up to spend time on your hobbies.

Also, some hobbies are just downright expensive... Wishing I could afford a new digital camera right now, for example... But there are lots of hobbies that people are passionate about that cost way more than photography.

It's used to support the economy. :D If she's buying a baller car, then the money trickles down to the company's employees in at least a small way.