Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine in Puerto Rico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted932605

Hello! I'm curious to know if someone who has a DO can practice Medicine in Puerto Rico. I know it's a US territory and all that, but I haven't heard of anyone with a DO practicing in the island. Is it possible for a DO to practice Medicine with full rights in PR? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm curious to know if someone who has a DO can practice Medicine in Puerto Rico. I know it's a US territory and all that, but I haven't heard of anyone with a DO practicing in the island. Is it possible for a DO to practice Medicine with full rights in PR? Thanks in advance!
No offense man, but a DO is a physician. At the end of the day, they can practice wherever an MD can. You probably don’t see a lot of DO’s in Puerto Rico because Puerto Ricans, like other minorities, aren’t represented well in medicine. And of the ones in medicine (who are preparing to practice), majority will peactice in the states where it is more lucrative and living situations are ideal (i.e. little to no catastrophes).

Reactions: 1 user
There are multiple areas in the world that do not recognize the DO degree as a physician.

No offense man, but a DO is a physician. At the end of the day, they can practice wherever an MD can. You probably don’t see a lot of DO’s in Puerto Rico because Puerto Ricans, like other minorities, aren’t represented well in medicine. And of the ones in medicine (who are preparing to practice), majority will peactice in the states where it is more lucrative and living situations are ideal (i.e. little to no catastrophes).

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is about Puerto Rico.

I think the comment you made that a DO can practice wherever they want is Gypsy was pointing out.

OP does have a fair question, though.

Yes, I believe so (I want to say I've met a DO that practices ther. Although, it difficult to get much of any info about medical licensure from the Puerto Rico licensing website without making an account. Guam also has DOs as registered physicians, but their website is a bit more helpful.

To be clear, this is in reference to the US & territories. International practice rights vary significantly for DOs.

Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine - Wikipedia for more info

I think the comment you made that a DO can practice wherever they want is Gypsy was pointing out.

OP does have a fair question, though.
Ughh I guess. I just hate how people shiit on DO’s.

Ughh I guess. I just hate how people shiit on DO’s.

I hate it as much as the next guy when it’s actually unwarranted. However, when it comes to international practice rights, there’s not even a discussion. If you want to practice internationally, DO is not even close to MD in viability. I believe MDs have rights in ~3X the number of countries worldwide.

It’s worth noting, though, that the other major English-speaking countries (UK, all Canadian providences, Australia) recognize the DO degree in full as do many other major countries.

As for PR, I am almost certain the answer is “yes”. DOs have had full practice rights in the states since the last state approved it in the 1970s, and I imagine this is identical for the territories.

Last edited:
You could definitely practice in PR as a DO if you are an employee of the federal government.

As a D.O. you can definitely practice here! If you are board certified in the US, you are also certified in Puerto Rico. I do have to say that I have never seen a D.O around here. It's probably due to a lack of information because there are no Osteopathic Medical Schools here.