Do US residents give their own didactic conferences?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jeff509

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, allow me to elaborate, I am a medical student from Mexico, here, many residency programs cover their teaching curriculum (established by a medical school) with resident prepared lectures. Residents prepare almost all of the teaching conferences, and senior clinicians (faculty) are rarely present nor are available as advisors. My question is: Do US residents give their own didatic lectures during residency? Are those exclusively prepared by faculty? In which cases do residents give talks/teach?

I want to compare both approaches.
PS: If my thread isn't pertinent to this forum, please redirect me to the section in which it would be adequate. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, allow me to elaborate, I am a medical student from Mexico, here, many residency programs cover their teaching curriculum (established by a medical school) with resident prepared lectures. Residents prepare almost all of the teaching conferences, and senior clinicians (faculty) are rarely present nor are available as advisors. My question is: Do US residents give their own didatic lectures during residency? Are those exclusively prepared by faculty? In which cases do residents give talks/teach?

I want to compare both approaches.
PS: If my thread isn't pertinent to this forum, please redirect me to the section in which it would be adequate. Thank you.
Variable from program to program. Our residents would present a good proportion of the conferences (morning reports, M+Ms, journal clubs etc), but not usually the formal subject-specific didactics. Even when it was a resident talk, there would typically be faculty available for backup.

In fellowship, we do some of both. Some faculty lectures, some fellow-prepared talks.

Variable from program to program. Our residents would present a good proportion of the conferences (morning reports, M+Ms, journal clubs etc), but not usually the formal subject-specific didactics. Even when it was a resident talk, there would typically be faculty available for backup.

In fellowship, we do some of both. Some faculty lectures, some fellow-prepared talks.
Thank you so much!

>80% of our lectures were given by faculty. Senior residents gave certain talks, such as board review material.

Collectively, our residents are responsible for about 2-3 hours of content per week (out of 10 hours). Faculty do the rest. Chief residents have variable input. Our residency has a goal to teach residents how to teach effectively, so they do some teaching as a result, but the main purpose of lectures is to cover material for boards that they may not see in real life.

We do morning reports, case presentations, journal clubs, and M&M. Everything else is faculty.

Collectively, our residents are responsible for about 2-3 hours of content per week (out of 10 hours). Faculty do the rest. Chief residents have variable input. Our residency has a goal to teach residents how to teach effectively, so they do some teaching as a result, but the main purpose of lectures is to cover material for boards that they may not see in real life.
Our residents usually get absolutely zero teaching training, and boards are mostly prepared by each resident individually, according to their personal goals. Our residents start "teaching" since PGY-1, the year when they have the highest workload.

Our residents usually get absolutely zero teaching training, and boards are mostly prepared by each resident individually, according to their personal goals. Our residents start "teaching" since PGY-1, the year when they have the highest workload.

Yeah, we didn't get any formal teaching on how to teach either when I was a resident, something that we've been slowly working on fixing. We now have a leadership curriculum that goes over some of the 'how to teach from the middle' things, though it's not super robust yet, and we're giving feedback for case presentations as we go. We have a new APD that's super interested in getting people to learn how to teach, so I'm working on a formal curriculum with him this year.

Yeah, we didn't get any formal teaching on how to teach either when I was a resident, something that we've been slowly working on fixing. We now have a leadership curriculum that goes over some of the 'how to teach from the middle' things, though it's not super robust yet, and we're giving feedback for case presentations as we go. We have a new APD that's super interested in getting people to learn how to teach, so I'm working on a formal curriculum with him this year.
You participate in curriculum development with your PD as a resident? Amazing!

We had regular workgroups on the curriculum that the residents were invited to. The (IM fourth year) chief residents were in charge of changes but us lowly PGY1-3s had plenty of input.

I helped revamp the curriculum my last year for implementation after I graduated.

We present research conference, case conference, M&M, journal club, aortic conference, ultrasound and didactics. 5 hours of didactics per week, which is a lot of presentations to prepare when you are already working 80-100 hours/week and are in a residency that is relatively small. I spend on average 3-4 hours preparing presentations per week. Now, many of these get reused later on at actual conferences, but still. It is a rather large time sync.

Reactions: 1 user
In med peds, we have both medicine and pediatrics conference, but one afternoon a month we all get together for our own combined conference, about 4 hours. The first hour is a lecture by a resident in the pgy2 to 4 years. I like it since it tends to be more boards/clinic directed and integrates medicine and peds together.

Well, I'm a chief resident, and in pediatrics, that means I'm faculty. But I started this project as a resident and still have a resident working on it with me (I can just be my own PI now, rather than needing someone else), and we've had a couple of residents take on teaching some aspect of care (and developing a curriculum), usually as a part of their QI projects.

Last edited:
This is pretty normal these days since residents in some (most? all?) specialties are required to have a QI project in order to graduate. What better way to get it than to fix the stuff you think sucks about your program's curriculum?

Reactions: 1 user