DO student with low Step 1, chance of OBGYN residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HighMuckamuck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I know similar questions have been asked in the past- but OBGYN is becoming increasingly more competitive and I would like some current opinions. I am a DO student, and scored 218 on step 1. Still waiting on COMLEX score. I was hoping to apply to only allopathic residencies. What are my chances with this score, and what do I need to do to make my application stronger?

Members don't see this ad.

Obviously applying to both matches helps increase chances of matching overall. 218 on Step1 I wouldn't think is a deal breaker, but on lower side of average. Plan to take Step 2 and get a nice improvement. Identify allo programs friendly to DO applicants (everyone asks about this and no list exists; just start looking at resident rosters). Be open about location and community programs, apply broadly. Get some research under your belt, and all the other usual bits needed to make your app stronger. If you have a program in mind, doing well on an away at an allo program and getting a letter from well-known faculty might help you as well. In the end, if you're all about this specialty, I would advise to apply to both matches to improve your overall standing. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hello, I know similar questions have been asked in the past- but OBGYN is becoming increasingly more competitive and I would like some current opinions. I am a DO student, and scored 218 on step 1. Still waiting on COMLEX score. I was hoping to apply to only allopathic residencies. What are my chances with this score, and what do I need to do to make my application stronger?

If you don't mind me asking, how did you do on COMLEX? I am in a similar situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be more worried about the DO status when applying to MD residencies. The 2016 charting outcomes found obgyn to be one of the least competitive specialties in terms of Step 1. I think the average was 229 which is pretty remarkable because I always assumed it to be higher.

I would be more worried about the DO status when applying to MD residencies. The 2016 charting outcomes found obgyn to be one of the least competitive specialties in terms of Step 1. I think the average was 229 which is pretty remarkable because I always assumed it to be higher.
Do you mean I should be more worried about just being a DO student applying rather than my scores? Can you elaborate, or provide any advice?

Do you mean I should be more worried about just being a DO student applying rather than my scores? Can you elaborate, or provide any advice?

Yes, if applying to MD residencies some do tend to prefer MD over DO. Your score is only 10 pts below the average last year. Probably somewhere around 1 standard dev which is a lot of room to manueveur.