DO Student, what do I do about internship???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boxer1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a 4th year osteopathic med student applying to both ACGME and AOA neurology programs this cycle. I have the following questions regarding the internship year.

Is an AOA traditional rotating internship acceptable for the internship year for an ACGME neurology program, as long as the internship requirements are met? The source I found only mentioned ACGME accredited internships. Can anyone with experience with this kind of thing comment?

Also, I'm still trying to figure out the difference between a transitional year and a prelim medicine year. Are they equivalent, and can I do either one to satisfy the internship year requirement for neurology?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out the difference between a transitional year and a prelim medicine year. Are they equivalent, and can I do either one to satisfy the internship year requirement for neurology?

Thanks

I can only answer your last set of questions.

Transitional Year=different rotations in different fields (just like a 3rd year med student)

Prelim year=basically one year of medicine (you do what categoricals will do, ie those who are going to be internist)

From my understanding is that you can do either to satisfy you're requirements for neuro, but note that MOST neuro programs want you to do a prelim year. Just check with the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 4th year osteopathic med student applying to both ACGME and AOA neurology programs this cycle. I have the following questions regarding the internship year.

Is an AOA traditional rotating internship acceptable for the internship year for an ACGME neurology program, as long as the internship requirements are met? The source I found only mentioned ACGME accredited internships. Can anyone with experience with this kind of thing comment?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure you have to do an ACGME accredited internship in order to get board certified by the ABPN. If you're going with the osteopathic residency (why?) than go for the osteopathic internship. Even better, if you can find one of the dual-accredited internships then you're all set either way. I don't know how you can get both licensed (which requires the AOA internship) and board certified (which requires the ACGME internship) in the magical 5 states without appealing to have your ACGME internship approved or doing a dually-approved one. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies

For anyone who might be interested, I heard back from the ABPN today in answer to my question. The answer is that the internship needs to be ACGME accredited, as well as meet their more specific requirements about months in IM fields etc. AOA accredited internship alone is not acceptable. So, I guess I will be looking into dually accredited internships or resolution 42. Does any DO out there have personal experience with resolution 42. If so please PM me so I can pick your brain about it.

Thanks