DO internship and ACGME neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Riteaid22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to do a DO internship, aka Traditional rotating internship and go into an ACGME neurology program and still be able to sit for the boards/be board certified?

Or is an ACGME internship (TY/Prelim) required?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Is it possible to do a DO internship, aka Traditional rotating internship and go into an ACGME neurology program and still be able to sit for the boards/be board certified?

Or is an ACGME internship (TY/Prelim) required?

Thanks in advance.

Depend on your program, the state you desire a license, etc. etc.

In my day:
The basic requirement for a "neurology internship" was ER rotation, PED rotation, and multiple internal medicine blocks
The basic requirements for a DO internship was some exposure to women's health, an outpatient FP rotation, and probably a few other things that I am forgetting.

My program allowed me to integrate my internship so that both sides would be satisfied.

But just to clarify, if you complete and ACGME neurology program, whether you do OGME1 + 3 year of ACGME neuro, or OGME1 + 4 years of ACGME neuro, you can sit for the ABPN board
If you complete an osteopathic neurology residency straight through, you can sit for the osteopathic neurology boards.

You basically are going to need to sit for one of the boards for credentialing and credibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
You may want to do some digging/calling of programs. The DO program I am going to be starting has an ACGME approved IM residency and a prelim-medicine PGY1 year that is not made known on their website (not sure if the prelim is ACGME approved though). I noticed on their opportunities.osteopathic.org page (under the first tab "Program Details") it shows that they offer a prelim-med as well as a TRI PGY1 year.