DO student interviews in ACGME General Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DidsomeonecallaDOc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to see if I could get my fellow DO students who applied ACGME to post when you get interviews/rejections and where. I'll start.

Interviews:
UF Jacksonville (9/20)
UT Nashville (9/27)

Rejections:
UT Chattanooga (9/23)

Members don't see this ad.

UIC Mt Sinai (9/20)

How do you know you were rejected from Chattanooga?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews:
WVU-Charleston
East Carolina Univ
Univ Mississippi
UTMB
UT Memphis
UT Nashville
UF Jacksonville
Allegheny
York, PA
Texas Tech El Paso
Univ of Kansas

I have interviews now at
Mt Sinai (9/20),
Presence St Joseph, Chicago (10/3),
Marshfield WI (10/3)
UND (10/4)
UNMC (10/4 2nd wave)
Mayo CLinic (During my rotation)

+ Interviews
Brookwood Baptist (Birmingham, AL) (10/6)
U Missouri-Columbia (10/7-second wave)
Penn State (10/7)
Mount Caramel (Columbus, OH) (10/6)
Texas Tech (Lubbock) (10/6)

+ Interviews
Brookwood Baptist (Birmingham, AL) (10/6)
U Missouri-Columbia (10/7-second wave)
Penn State (10/7)
Mount Caramel (Columbus, OH) (10/6)
Texas Tech (Lubbock) (10/6)

How many interviews do you plan on going to?

How many interviews do you plan on going to?
I haven't accepted them all. I plan to go to my top places once invites are out. I haven't scheduled all of these, just mentioning offers. I'll probably go to at least 15, I've heard to rank at least 12. I don't know if that is legit or not?

Ya I've heard ten. And around ten is where the trend flattens off based on the previous years on the match.

Adding ...
Carilion Clinic VA Tech (Roanoke, VA)
Grand Strand Regional Medical Center (Myrtle Beach, SC)
Spartanburg Regional Healthcare System (Spartanburg, SC)
East Tennessee State University (Johnson City, TN)
Memorial Health/Mercer (Savannah, GA)

I just now realized there was a DO one in addition to the other interview/rejection list.

Interviews:
University of Missouri (Columbia, MO)
UMKC (Kansas City, MO)
Kendall Regional (Miami, FL)
University of South Carolina (Columbia, SC)
Grand Strand Regional (Myrtle Beach, SC)
INOVA Fairfax (Falls Church, VA)

Rejections:
Mercer (Macon, GA)
Medical College of GA (Augusta, GA)
LSU (Shreveport, LA)
University of Tennessee (Nashville, TN)

Texas Tech (Lubbock, TX) - dates offered are 12/2, 12/9, 12/16

I just now realized there was a DO one in addition to the other interview/rejection list.

Interviews:
University of Missouri (Columbia, MO)
UMKC (Kansas City, MO)
Kendall Regional (Miami, FL)
University of South Carolina (Columbia, SC)
Grand Strand Regional (Myrtle Beach, SC)
INOVA Fairfax (Falls Church, VA)

Rejections:
Mercer (Macon, GA)
Medical College of GA (Augusta, GA)
LSU (Shreveport, LA)
University of Tennessee (Nashville, TN)

When did you hear from Augusta? I haven't seen it go up on the big interview thread yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Loyola invite on 10/24. 12/1, 12/10,12/17,1/12

Adding Interviews:

Cleveland Clinic
UT San Antonio
Univ of Arizona (Phoenix)
Carle (Champagne, IL)
Pinnacle (Harrisburg, PA ACGME program)
Mountain View (Las Vegas)

For those of you who received interviews at Memorial/Mercer in Savannah, what are your thoughts? I would love to interview there, but there are some semi-recent scutwork reviews that seem pretty negative?

Cleveland clinic Akron general 11/4 : 12/5 12/9 12/12 1/6 1/9 1/13

For those of you who received interviews at Memorial/Mercer in Savannah, what are your thoughts? I would love to interview there, but there are some semi-recent scutwork reviews that seem pretty negative?
I interviewed there and really liked the program. I had heard some negative things about it in previous years but supposedly that had a lot to do with some of the chiefs that have since graduated. I straight up asked one of the chiefs what he didn't like about their program and he was very forthcoming about issues with the previous year that have since resolved. Where do you see the negative reviews on scutwork? When I just looked it has a rating of 5 with only 2 reviews.

For those who have interviewed at Mount Carmel, how was your interview and what are your thoughts about the program? Thanks!

I interviewed there and really liked the program. I had heard some negative things about it in previous years but supposedly that had a lot to do with some of the chiefs that have since graduated. I straight up asked one of the chiefs what he didn't like about their program and he was very forthcoming about issues with the previous year that have since resolved. Where do you see the negative reviews on scutwork? When I just looked it has a rating of 5 with only 2 reviews.

My mistake. I was reading the reviews for Mercer in Macon....not Savannah. Thank you for pointing that out!!

Hey guys sorry I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm a current third yr who will be applying acgme and haven't been able to really find any DOs applying acgme gen surg to ask for advice. I was just wondering what your step scores were and what score you can feel confident skipping the DO match with?

Reactions: 2 users
Any updates on board scores for the third years who will be in your shoes next year?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys sorry I don't want to hijack the thread but I'm a current third yr who will be applying acgme and haven't been able to really find any DOs applying acgme gen surg to ask for advice. I was just wondering what your step scores were and what score you can feel confident skipping the DO match with?

Hey! So I went and met with the head of surgery for my school and we talked about different options. I really wanted to stay in the SE to be near family so that basically ruled out most DO programs. He looked at my board scores, GPA and clinical grades and felt confident that I would match ACGME. Steps 244/264, Comlex 670s/720s, GPA 3.98, honors in surgery and an A on the shelf. I ended up with 10 interviews but only applied to approx 20 places (6 were super reaches just for fun).

I think it depends on what you want out of your training too and where you're looking to train. I already trained as an M3 and now M4 at a hospital with a community program that I really like so I knew that I wanted more of a community program/community-hybrid program and not something so academic. If I could do it all over again, I would save my money on applications and not apply to those reaches because at the end of the day I wouldn't want to be at a big academic center, however I thought it'd be fun to throw my hat in at Vanderbilt, Emory, UNC, Wake Forest. Pay attention to the resident rosters on a program's website and I would think very carefully about applying to places without DOs. 8 of my applications went out to programs without DOs and I received no response or a rejection. Another great resource is upperclassmen at your own school. One of the PDs from a program I am interested in called me and actually discussed that since they took someone from my school last year, they're much more open to accepting people from our school now as opposed to before.

I hope that helps.... sorry for grammar, 4th year is making me lazy.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! So I went and met with the head of surgery for my school and we talked about different options. I really wanted to stay in the SE to be near family so that basically ruled out most DO programs. He looked at my board scores, GPA and clinical grades and felt confident that I would match ACGME. Steps 244/264, Comlex 670s/720s, GPA 3.98, honors in surgery and an A on the shelf. I ended up with 10 interviews but only applied to approx 20 places (6 were super reaches just for fun).

I think it depends on what you want out of your training too and where you're looking to train. I already trained as an M3 and now M4 at a hospital with a community program that I really like so I knew that I wanted more of a community program/community-hybrid program and not something so academic. If I could do it all over again, I would save my money on applications and not apply to those reaches because at the end of the day I wouldn't want to be at a big academic center, however I thought it'd be fun to throw my hat in at Vanderbilt, Emory, UNC, Wake Forest. Pay attention to the resident rosters on a program's website and I would think very carefully about applying to places without DOs. 8 of my applications went out to programs without DOs and I received no response or a rejection. Another great resource is upperclassmen at your own school. One of the PDs from a program I am interested in called me and actually discussed that since they took someone from my school last year, they're much more open to accepting people from our school now as opposed to before.

I hope that helps.... sorry for grammar, 4th year is making me lazy.

Congrats on your success!

Quick question.. do you need to have a 3.98 in medical school to match GS? That's an intimidatingly impressive gpa. I'm going to do my absolute best to have the highest gpa that I can, but dang! Any classmates or anybody that you know of that matched GS that had less that a 3.9?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hope everyone matched today!! Good luck on Friday!

Thanks for commenting! I'm definitely more interested in a community program which helps a lot and I made a list with tall the places from freida that has current DOs in their program and it's about 80 programs, majority are community. How many do you think I should apply to with a 233, 90% avg from first two years (equivalent to 3.7 gpa), and honors in all of my rotations so far including 2 surgery rotations? I was going to apply to all 80 cause I'm so afraid to not match but idk if that's a good idea?
could you share this list with me? PM it to me if ya could!

Good luck tomorrow I hope everyone who was fortunate to match is happy with their locations!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile