DO schools with their own teaching hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

username_sdn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, but do we know which DO schools have their own affiliated/attached teaching hospitals? As opposed to partnerships with hospitals?

Members don't see this ad.

Oklahoma State. That's it as far as I know. Perhaps Rowan. Even the schools with massive amounts of GME like MSU, PCOM, Ohio, etc, are largely just really strong partnerships.

Reactions: 1 user
ACOM is owned by Southeast Alabama Medical Center. Is it a true teaching hospital? No... but they are adding residencies every few years and the school is going through a rebranding with their logo to show they are connected.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ACOM is owned by Southeast Alabama Medical Center. Is it a true teaching hospital? No... but they are adding residencies every few years and the school is going through a rebranding with their logo to show they are connected.

That's not a teaching hospital. As of now they have one small, brand new IM residency.

Really? Yet an another example a growing paradigm...a hospital with a medical school attached, as opposed to the other way around!

Really? Yet an another example a growing paradigm...a hospital with a medical school attached, as opposed to the other way around!

Way back when I interviewed at ACOM it was the CMO from the hospital that actually did my interview. He was a super nice guy.

yeah its not much but they are growing fast. With talks of opening residencies in a few more specialties(Derm and Pysch) in the near future. Its a big reason I applied even though it is a rural area.
Also they spent 5 years before opening the school creating rotation sites throughout the area before opening the school, which is drastically different from some new schools opening without any clinical sites.

That's not a teaching hospital. As of now they have one small, brand new IM residency.
Oh totally agreed its not a teaching hospital at all, just wanted to point out the fact the school is partnered with the hospital so closely.

Please excuse me as I am a novice but can someone tell me what the benefit of having a teaching hospital is? For example I'm shooting for a mid tier IM residency and so if my future DO school has a teaching hospital, will that help me in any way? @AnatomyGrey12

Please excuse me as I am a novice but can someone tell me what the benefit of having a teaching hospital is? For example I'm shooting for a mid tier IM residency and so if my future DO school has a teaching hospital, will that help me in any way? @AnatomyGrey12

It keeps most of your rotations in a centralized place and gives you exposure to faculty and residents during the first two years which can be beneficial if you use it to your advantage for networking, research, etc. One benefit, even if you aren't terribly interested in that home program, is your letters will be more academic in nature, like from actual department chairs, PDs, faculty, etc.

It's not the end of the world if you don't have one, but it can definitely be a convenience for the motivated student.

Reactions: 2 users
Rowan has something too.

Technically LECOM owns Millcreek Community Hospital. Would that count?

A.T. Still University- KCOM
ATSU does not own that hospital anymore. It belongs to Community Health Systems. Furthermore, CHS is suffering such a financial catastrophe that the hospital lost anesthesia and gen surgery after the merger.

• Wow
Technically LECOM owns Millcreek Community Hospital. Would that count?

Yes. Not all students rotate there as it’s quite small. But they do have residencies in IM, FM, psych, and ortho, as well as a handful of fellowships. And maybe a transitional year internship, I forget.

I only rotated there for one block almost 4 years ago so I can’t say much of anything about it — but if your goal was to go to a DO school without having to move between years 3 & 4, LECOM’s Erie campus would make that an option.

TCOM owns a small specialty clinic/outpatient hospital on campus (peds, IM, and some other stuff I can't remember) and has a strong partnership with JPS.

The hospital on the NSU Davie campus was originally forecast to be open this December, though who knows if it’s going to happen. Rumor has it that it’s primarily going to be a MD site, though. It’s only going to be 200 beds so it seems unlikely too many DO students would be able to utilize it if they preferentially put the MD students there first.