DO schools with AAFP involvement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PACtoDOC

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi FP's,

I have an important question for you. For former osteopathic medical students, did your school chapter cater solely to ACOFP issues or did you routinely have presented to you the AAFP issues as well? In our state, we only have limited DO FM residency opportunities, and we have a huge amount of support from our state AAFP chapter. Our grads routinely fill all these programs, ACGME and AOA. However, our national ACOFP organization has asked us to stop associating with the state AAFP chapter. We have as many practicing DO's in our state that are members of the state AAFP as are members of the ACOFP chapter. Most of the state MD programs recruit us and even have set up OMM training into their residencies for those interested in it. I feel to isolate ourselves from all our options is not helpful to anyone. What should we do since we are a subdivision of the ACOFP? To form a second club would be division. Help.

Members don't see this ad.

DMU does not have an AAFP chapter. I, as well as many classmates, have joined on our own. The Iowa chaper of AAFP pays the dues for us!

"However, our national ACOFP organization has asked us to stop associating with the state AAFP chapter"

What?!?!!?!?!? What explanation was given?

I receive both DO, ACOFP, and AAFP publications, and have visited their websites. I find VASTLY more information from AAFP.
Browse around at www.acofp.org and then www.aafp.org and compare.

Look at the courses offered at this summer's AAFP conference for residents and medical students: One of the courses is OMM!!!

"Issues" which affect FP's should be the same for both groups (except for OMM).

I would recommend keeping up your individual ties with AAFP.

Maybe ACOFP is getting concerned with so many DO grads choosing ACGME programs - risking the viability of the AOA programs?