Do schools give preferences for in-state applicants over out-of-state applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phuongle2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do optometry schools prefer in-state rather out-of state applicants? I've looked at statistics of acceptance rate at the opted.org website and it seems that the % of in state applicants that get in are higher than out-of state? Is it true?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

phuongle2 said:
Do optometry schools prefer in-state rather out-of state applicants? I've looked at statistics of acceptance rate at the opted.org website and it seems that the % of in state applicants that get in are higher than out-of state? Is it true?
Thanks.

i think most people prefer to apply to schools within his/her own states due to cheaper tuition fee...hence, more applicants from within the state. i believe schools stress more on gpa, oat score, extra curriculum, experience, and maybe personality than where an applicant is from.

optopt said:
i think most people prefer to apply to schools within his/her own states due to cheaper tuition fee...
For the "private" schools, like ICO, there is no "in-state" vs. "out-of-state" tuition, so that won't make much of a difference.

Part of it may be the statistics you are reading are on attendance at the school - applicants may interview at other schools but choose to stay closer to home, hence the higher percentage of in-state students?

Members don't see this ad :)
optopt said:
i think most people prefer to apply to schools within his/her own states due to cheaper tuition fee.
Some schools allow you to become in-state after one year -- SUNY does this, so your tuition is cut essentially in half for years 2-4.

At SUNY, I'm fairly certain that there is no preference given to in-state vs. out-of-state applicants.

Some state school have spaces specifically reserved for their residents. In addition, some schools have slots for students from other specific states (though I don't believe there is reciprocity.) As far as private schools go, I am not so sure that there is a lack of preference. When I interviewed at Nova, we were specifically told that the divide would be approximately 50/50. Still, it's better than most state institutions!