DO question.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted19731

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
There will be no problem getting into an IM residency as a DO. As long as you do decently in residency, you'll have no problem getting into any fellowship program.

Yep, I'm at Okla State. The med school is in Tulsa.

I'd be happy to share info with you so feel free to PM me.

BTW: you wouldn't be the only Sooners fan at the med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
I work at an NIH-designated comprehensive cancer center (City Of Hope) that has fellowship programs in Medical, Surgical, and Urological Oncology. A few years back a DO was here completing his fellowship in Medical Oncology and did very well in this competitive program and is now in private practice.

The hospital where I will do my internal medicine residency has four DO oncologists.

To answer your question simply: you won't have a problem. Being a DO will hardly be an issue. Oncology is not very competitive. Over 50% of the fellows (per the AMA website) are international medical school graduates which implies that American graduates just don't have a strong desire to be oncologists.

Being a hospitalist is even easier. Check out the National Association of Inpatient Physicians. I get their newsletter and I see submissions by DOs all the time. http://www.naiponline.org

You'll be fine.